All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-08-2002, 11:10 PM

Eooi3 is on a distinguished road
Opera 6 for 9290??

Is there anyone who has the files to change/add Opera 6 web browser to my 9290? I read somewhere about doing something similiar to this on a 9210. If anyone knows please help! Thanks...

:roll:

Old 21-08-2002, 09:56 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
This has been discussed here:
http://www.allabouter6.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1435&postdays=0&postorder=asc&high light=opera&start=15

Old 22-08-2002, 04:55 PM

I've noticed the discussions here and in other forums about Opera and there is certainly some confusion. Understandably, as what was communicated by both us and Nokia around the time of release of the 9290 was not entirely clear.

Here is a stab at a statement that will hopefully clarify some issues. This is not easy to do while still respecting NDA's. If something is still unclear or unanswered, read the previous sentence one more time ;)

The Opera browser for the 92xx-series is a product developed by Opera and Nokia. It is currently (22/8/02) only shipping on the Nokia 9210i. It may or may not ship on future versions of other Nokia products.

With regards to after market sales for the 9210 and 9290, this is not at Opera's sole discretion. If (*if*) it was my decision, I would probably decide not to make a version available due to the very limited memory available on the 9210 and 9290. Users who are not aware of how to deal with this would likely suffer a poor user experience and be disappointed with the browser.

Symbian OS is a key focus for Opera Software. We are working hard to make sure that you will be able to surf with Opera on more mobile devices in the future. Your interest and support is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dag Olav Norem
Opera Software

Old 23-08-2002, 08:15 AM

what the heck - !

hallo

respect to the opera coders but - the nokia web is poorly and with having the 92x0 you are used quality.

You can find the Opera.sis file here (it is a package including all files form the nokia 1.2 c++ sdk - thumb version):
http://www.aikon.ch/down/opera.sis

opera runs fine - even though you tell otherwise ! nokia web kills all running applications itself - so it has memory to run - opera does not, so you have to kill open aplpications yourself. the coders for opera just did not need to include that app-kill feature as the new 9210i firmware does it.

Consider changing the cache to D:
Find the file c:\System\apps\Opera\Opera.ini edit, look [ USER PREFS ] and
insert (or change as necessary)
CACHE DISK=D
-> this keeps your drive c: clean but does not mean the memory (RAM) which is not c: (ramdisc) or d: (ramdisc) or z: (romdisc). it is not even necessary todo so - opera runs the same with having cache on c: or d:!

edit ini-file with yedit or copy via mmc reader to pc or email it to yourself (pc) - edit - and back to 9210! but dont use the pc-suite for transfer as it tryes to convert it to a nokia word document when you copy it back to the device.

ciao
Ads

Old 23-08-2002, 08:18 AM

new opera link

http://www.primustel.ch/~aikon/opera.sis

Old 23-08-2002, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Olav Norem
Here is a stab at a statement that will hopefully clarify some issues. This is not easy to do while still respecting NDA's. If something is still unclear or unanswered, read the previous sentence one more time
Of course Non Disclosure Agreements are a very serious thing. Lawyers love them , well but, can you answer me Dag:
could it be possible for Opera to code and sell an official, scaled-down version of Opera for 9210 and 9290 machines... with less features but saving javascript which is imho is the most useful difference?

Just a yes/no question...

Old 23-08-2002, 10:06 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Right everyone, if you want to ask a question please do so. I don't think Opera will answer here directly, but I am able to pass on questions, but with no guarantee that they are answered. So please ask away - in a few days I'll compile and send 'em off.

Rafe

Old 24-08-2002, 07:58 PM

I apologise if this has been explained before, i'm new here...

From usenet and my-communicator.com site one can get info saying that 9290 memory configuration (hardware) is identical to 9210i.
So the question is, what are the memory limitations in 9290 that make Opera difficult to run? A software issue?

Old 24-08-2002, 11:12 PM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
The problem is, that on the 9210i, Opera has peen placed into ROM. It executes from ROM, leaving plenty of executable memory free (relative term) hence no out of memory memory errors.

On the 9290, the "old" browder has been placed in ROM, Opera would have to be placed in the storage memory (C od D drive). When run, this would then load into the executable memory area, leaving far less free and resulting in more out of memory errors.

That's my interpretation of it anyway.

Updating the 92xx ROM is strictly a Nokia Center affair, hance there is no way of loading Opera onto the ROM.

As far as I can make out, it is simply a case of blaim Nokia. Not sure if you should blame them for being stupid, scrooges or greedy. If we see a 9290i with Opera a little down the road (and no ROM upgrade offered), then I think it is fair to assume the latter.

Zuber