All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-02-2011, 08:32 AM

Apache is on a distinguished road
N8 & sports photography

Hi there,

I've been trying to use my N8 (the camera of which I otherwise very much like) for taking sports (football) pictures from closeup which means standing right behind the net ...

The results are not satisfactory as I can't get the shutter speed fast enough. i.e. only parts of the picture are "sharp" .. and the "ball" always turns out blurry. The N95 I used for the same purpose was better in this though not perfect either.

I - obviously - used the sports setting and also tried to select higher ISO but no real success.

Anyone managed to get best results from taking similar pictures? Basically it would just need a shutter speed 1/1000 but theres no way to really set this to happen...

Any ideas anybody ? Thx in advance.
Ads

Old 28-02-2011, 02:58 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
While the N8 does have a good camera, its still effectively just a compact with a fixed focal length and little or no manual override.

You've done all you really can - push up the iso, select sport mode, but it just won't be able to push the shutter speed up far enough.

There's only one way to do it right - SLR with a decent high ISO sensor.

Old 28-02-2011, 05:00 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
Hi

On ovistore there is a camera app called Camera pro N8 which as a set of additional functions for N8 camera including continuous and single AF.The app is only 3 and does include jpef raw output - 11x zoom and a lot of other utiliies (sadly the autobracketing\HDR) does not really any use but I know the developer is working on it.I have not tried the AF on action shots but may be worth a try >The current version on ovistore can be a bit buggy (freeze sometimes) but I know the developer has uploaded a new version with a considerable ammount of enhancements.(apparently it can take up to 30 days for a new version to upload).For 3 it may be worth a shot - I certainly think it good value - the new version is much more stable.

Boothy

Edit:The app also allows switching AF off and self timer,burst mode,time lapse mode,macro and ISO control
Edit2: webpage link: http://www.tequnique.com

Last edited by boothy; 28-02-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
Hi

On ovistore there is a camera app called Camera pro N8 which as a set of additional functions for N8 camera including continuous and single AF.The app is only 3 and does include jpef raw output - 11x zoom and a lot of other utiliies (sadly the autobracketing\HDR) does not really any use but I know the developer is working on it.I have not tried the AF on action shots but may be worth a try >The current version on ovistore can be a bit buggy (freeze sometimes) but I know the developer has uploaded a new version with a considerable ammount of enhancements.(apparently it can take up to 30 days for a new version to upload).For 3 it may be worth a shot - I certainly think it good value - the new version is much more stable.

Boothy

Edit:The app also allows switching AF off and self timer,burst mode,time lapse mode,macro and ISO control
Edit2: webpage link: http://www.tequnique.com
That does look like a useful app, but it won't help for this type of photography, which is just outside of what the N8 camera can handle.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:31 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
Yes your right - I contacted the developer - his answer was

`As someone already answered in the thread, the problem is related to shutter speed. And the shutter speed cannot be controlled with CameraPro. Besides, I suspect that the N8's camera sensor area is too small for shutter speeds required.`

Thanks

Boothy

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
Yes your right - I contacted the developer - his answer was

`As someone already answered in the thread, the problem is related to shutter speed. And the shutter speed cannot be controlled with CameraPro. Besides, I suspect that the N8's camera sensor area is too small for shutter speeds required.`

Thanks

Boothy
I really should download that application purely to support the developer, even if I don't use it. He really does seem to be quite good, and very open to suggestions.