All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Sports Tracker website open for pre-registrations

The website for Sports Tracker, an application which turns your phone into a GPS sports computer, is now accepting pre-registrations for its online service. The online service will allow you to upload workouts (tracks) from your phone to be visualised, analysed and shared on the website. By registering now you can reserve the username you wish to use, get a notification when the site will goes live, and import your existing Nokia Sports Tracker data.

Read on in the full article.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:54 AM

Dead1nside is on a distinguished road
With the old Beta Sports Tracker website closing down and no upgrade path for me on my N82, looks like I'll be dead in the water when it comes to Sports Tracker -- probably one of the few services I'd deem worthy of paying for.

Old 14-06-2010, 09:27 AM
CheesyPeteza

Exclamation No support for S60 3.1

They have been silent on whether they will provide support for s60 v3.1 phones. Can anyone get an answer from them?

It is very bad form for a company to close its service for its users without letting them know if they will be providing an alternative.

Old 15-06-2010, 04:09 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
To be fair it's Nokia closing the old service (and is still technically a beta), whereas the new is a separate company, but Nokia could have quite easily continued the service for a while longer.

I wonder if the old Sporttracker app still works though even if the online service is closed. I can't see why not, in which case all you lose is the online part, and you should still be able to export to KML files and whatever to import into other services, Google Maps/Earth, etc.

The new Sports Tracker has wording in their blurb that suggests they will be doing cross platform apps. Whether this means a wider selection of S60, plus MeeGo, or maybe even beyond Nokia, not sure. Not being specifically a Nokia company it could mean it'll pop up on other platforms too.

Question is, what their marketing model is. Where are they making their money? I assume it will be in accessories.

It's odd too that there's a deadline for importing from the old service.

Old 17-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Unregistered

"Sports Tracker We have been positively surprised by the amount of people asking for support to E71, N95 and other S60 3.1 phones. The support is not yet available but we are working on it."
From sports tracker's facebook page. So S60 3.1 support is coming, don't worry

Would've been quite the dick move to only support 3.2.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:20 PM

sm1thson is on a distinguished road
yeah it sucked that it didnt support V1 (I had an E71), but now I have an E72 so thought all would be well, but the upload to website bit isnt working yet hopefully they will pull their fingers out soon. on the e71 the nokia traker still works and so does the online (despite been officially discontinued now). Nice of nokia to keep it ticking over longer than they stated, but still a pain for those that have moved on as the new service isnt complete yet.
Ads

Old 13-08-2010, 10:52 AM

sm1thson is on a distinguished road
The logon part of the new sports-tracker.com website has now gone live and you can upload your data now! great.