All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 PM

Calyblondie is on a distinguished road
Angry Troubleshooting: Names in contact list do not display only the number when call rcvd.

Re: Sony Ericsson Satio, Sync contacts from Outlook via the SE PC Suite

When calling or receiving a call, only the phone number shows and not the name of the caller (the caller is in my contact list with the exact phone number). The same goes for text messages, speed dialing, or even when calling someone from the contact list. My contacts were added via the SE PC Suite syncing with Outlook. It seems to work if I clear the phone and add it manually, which makes me believe it is a problem with the software translating the contact list into something the phone understands?!?! I have uninstalled the PC Suite software complete, deleted the directories, rebooted and reinstalled...this did not help to resolve anything.

My phone is factory unlocked with the latest firmware upgrade and my SIM card does not contain any contact information. I have set the phone to save contacts to phone memory as well.

Any advice?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I think this is an old problem

Quote:
In my experience the contact display always works , using 12 digits .
(+49123456789) . Except :
1) when the Network / Operator doesn't support number display : ask your operator
2) when the caller disables his/her number display : ask your contact .
SMS always come with a number .

Regards jApi NL
<< from a search of the s60 forums ..

So check that your numbers have the full format .. + country operator number

Another post suggested checking/removing duplicate entries .. for names/numbers

So try those and report back ..
Ads

Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 AM

Calyblondie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up No luck w/ country code but removing duplicates may be the winning ticket

Thanks for the suggestions, I am in the US and adding the country code doesn't allow me to dial the number in country (which is where all my number are located).

It appears that the duplicates were causing the problem. I have the two contacts I was using for testing (as calling them multiple times wouldn't cause them to think I was crazy or require a long explaination ), which are duplicated within the phone as emergency contacts as well as their real names. I guess I will have to be creative to keep them in there as emergency contacts...seems like a downgrade seeing as my old SE with proprietary software had no problem interpreting the duplicates and displaying the name...after a while it would choose the most frequently used one, not just the one that was first alphabetically. I thought that was pretty awesome.

Thanks for the solution!