All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
2015 is the new 1984 as Nokia plan to take over The Way We Live Next

In which Ewan Spence takes a slightly light hearted look at the infrastructure and privacy implications of Nokia's latest Device/Services concept video, introduced at The Way We Live Next event in Espoo. Rafe responds, having been in attendance, pointing out that the future will always contain challenges and changes to The Way We Currently Live(!). Your comments most welcome, of course - this one could run and run!

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 12-11-2009, 02:51 PM

cagi is on a distinguished road
Comment

Sure hope I wont be apart of this technology in future and try to keep a little privacy left for those bellowed in my hart.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Antoine of MMM is on a distinguished road
Ahem; one is already a part of such a future today if you are using *any* of Google's services. Nokia just was bold enough to come out and say it.

Not to say that it wasn't a bit creepy; but it was also quite accurate considering the rest of how people are snowballing their information to get perceived conveniences.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

"By the time Skynet became self-aware it had spread into millions of computer servers across the planet. Ordinary computers in office buildings, dorm rooms; everywhere. It was software; in cyberspace. There was no system core; it could not be shutdown. The attack began at 6:18 PM, just as he said it would. Judgment Day."

Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 PM
suju_k

Nokia 2015

After a long time I'm seeing a futuristic presentation.

I would hope that there will be more breakthroughs than just AR,convergence and the Cloud.

Was wondering if Apple would ever come up with an iPhone 2015 for the general public.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Unregistered

isnt this what google/android doing NOW?

and they come out and say this is their idea. nokia is turned into a joke.

btw i always been (or maybe was cause of N97) a nokia fan before anyone goes mad at me

Old 12-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think the whole point is that when you look forward 6 years (not really that long in some ways) you'll mostly see an extension of the stuff we're talking about now. But although some of it is available now it is very piecemeal and there's little filtering or intelligence... a cohesive whole for everyone is a very different undertaking that a concept or singular service.

The big difference is that Nokia is talking about delivering this across its portfolio - potentially 100's of millions of devices. With the replacement cycle things could chnage very quickly indeed.

Old 13-11-2009, 01:21 AM

smellati is on a distinguished road
Im a big nokia fan, but am I the only one who's fed up with nokia's habit of over-promising and under-delivering?

Old 13-11-2009, 11:18 AM

macwhu is on a distinguished road
while a lot of 'older' readers find all this social application
of the abhorrent 'salesfore' style data retrieval,
its all there already to scrape.

and theres plenty of people (who currently LIVE on msn etc) who
will have no issues with any of this.

we and the world change. slowly.

Old 15-11-2009, 06:11 AM

aashay is on a distinguished road
Over-Optimistic

Great points Ewan in pointing out the numerous limitations that need to be overcome before this concept can be realised. The most significant of these, at least according to me, will be the battery life (I still struggle to get through 2 days with my N85).

Also, as pointed out, the analytical power of the "Nokia Cloud" would have to be unimaginably high for it to process even 1% of the inflowing data. Also, processing power is only one part of "intelligent" trend prediction. What makes any "heuristic prediction algorithm" good is the initial learning stage, which would itself last a few years for what Nokia wants it to do.

6-years seems too quick for Nokia to make any significant strides on this front. Even if they do manage to do something, in my opinion, by 2015, they will probably only have a highly restrictive beta test only availble for users in Hellinski, Finland.

Old 15-11-2009, 06:14 AM

aashay is on a distinguished road
Wink Bonded to Nokia

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to keep your Nokia Cloud enabled device on."

Old 16-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Antoine of MMM is on a distinguished road
Thing about this vid is that its not just a cloud computing video. Its a direct connect video. Reminds me a good bit of what Nokia's Mobile Web Server team was trying to pull off with its Group Calendar Widget: give people an ability to view another's calendar without needing a 3rd party solution (Google, Ovi, etc.). Connecting directly, and then querying directy the information needed so that two people could corrdinate events easier.

If pulled off really well, the idea of mobile to mobile & mobile to cloud would be a pretty powerful - and information intensive - approach to computing. And given the direction of Symbian and Maemo as platforms, could be self-empowering and quite profit laden.