All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-09-2009, 11:36 PM

xpsytor is on a distinguished road
The REAL push email question - E71

As everyone knows E71 does not (and will not) come with a BB Connect which makes me wonder about the ultimate "push email" solution/app for our lovely E series phones. Many have been proposed over the time, the popular ones being - SEVEN, EMOZE and MfE.
I don't know about the other two but MfE has been promoted by Nokia themselves as the ideal push email client. And so I used it. And got a real shock when I got my bill - it went through the roof!! My detailed plan showed MfE connecting at every 5 minute interval with 10kB on each connect (maybe less but 10kB is the minimum data pulse).

Now the question -

Its been said, having a ALWAYS ON sync gives you a push email. Well it didn't. All it did was IMAP connect and check every 5 minutes. How the heck is this push and I'm surprised how its blatantly being promoted as one??? Its just "simulating" or trying to "pose" as a push email.

Am I correct in my observation? If yes, then can someone kindly let me know if there is an actual push solution on E71 where I get charged on only the data which is PUSHED to me in email and not on CHECKING every n minutes or seconds??
If my observation is wrong, can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong here?
My settings -
Peak Sync Schedule: Always On
Off-peak Sync Schedule: Always On
Heartbeat: 1 or maybe 5

Thanks!
Ads

Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 AM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
For push to work the phone has to maintain a data connection, which means small amounts of data are sent almost constantly. I would recommend a flat rate data plan if you are going to use push.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:38 AM

b4banksy is on a distinguished road
I use nokia messaging on my E71 and despite the panning it receives sometimes it works fine for me.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post
For push to work the phone has to maintain a data connection, which means small amounts of data are sent almost constantly. I would recommend a flat rate data plan if you are going to use push.
I don't think so cuz technically that would mean theres no difference between IMAP pull and PUSH. From what I've read push is like SMS notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4banksy View Post
I use nokia messaging on my E71 and despite the panning it receives sometimes it works fine for me.
You mean the default that comes built-in right? Yeah its good mostly and I use it for my personal accounts. But business is a different business altogether!

Old 05-09-2009, 04:52 PM

dave9999 is on a distinguished road
...I use profimail which makes use of imap idle and it works very, very well, especially when used with Birdstep.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9999 View Post
...I use profimail which makes use of imap idle and it works very, very well, especially when used with Birdstep.
Havent checked that. But like I said MailForExchange works extremely well in delivery and sending. I dont have any problems with emailing. I'm only concerned with 1 thing - DATA CHARGES and how to avoid that.

I've read a bit and it looks like you cant. MS Exchange uses Direct Push technology which is actually a convenient misnomer (which I always suspected) cuz its not a PUSH but just a near-push-like achievement by using standard HTTP protocols n idling n stuff

PS: Though I suck on technology and appreciate MS have come up with as an alternative to BB, but hey dont pull business stunts and mislead consumers like me into believing something its not. At best it can be called INDIRECT PUSH!

What all this means for me as a user is - either I switch to BB like many others who find all this bullcrap about MS Direct Push + Nokia inconvenient (or insufficient), or stick to the their plan and continue to pay HIGH DATA CHARGES, or fortunately for me use another PUSH solution offered by my provider - Vodafone Mail. I dont know how it will fare against BBC but the charges look OK to me ... will give it a try.

To conclude, I dont know how Nokia thought that dropping BBC support from their E series is going to help them against their (supposed) rival. For all I know many ppl are speculating or have already switched to STILL the best email delivery system for businesses - the BlackBerry.

As much as I love my 71, I have to say this .... Nokia - You've disappointed yet again!

Last edited by xpsytor; 07-09-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
I was until recently using the Seven Beta which worked very well and best of all DIDNT send read receipts to people like MfE does.

However, I have since had issues connecting with seven and each time I try to re-establish my account after deleteing it to start again, it send an international text... and as this registration has failed several times due to the Seven setup so I have spent some cash on sending pointless international texts. :(

The MfE package works very well for me though, as it should but as already mentioned to use any PUSH email client you want to have a flat rate data package.