All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM

huw is on a distinguished road
N95 8GB will not boot after installing google maps

I just tried updating google maps from 2.0.7 to 2.0.14 and my N95 8GB will not now start up. I saw the install start and when I next looked at my phone the screen was blank (white). I left it a while, could not switch it off and took out the battery. When I switched it back on I still only had a white screen.

I can not belive it. I thought the N95 was so good and google maps was my favorite app! I have firmware V15. Guess I've lost all my apps, music etc. I have other stuff backed up. Is the only choice a factory reset. Can I even do a factory reset.
Ads

Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Try a hard reset as follows:-

Turn the phone off.
Press and hold the following keys:-
Green Call key + "3" key + "*" key.
Whilst holding these down turn your phone on.

Your phone should then reboot to factory settings but anything on your Mass Memory should not be affected I believe.
Good luck!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:27 PM

huw is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot for the advice. It worked and I then restored everything with the nokia content copier. However everytime the phone was switched on it came up with an "installing" message for ages and then said there was a problem installing apps and to use the app installer.

In the app installer there was a lot of things listed as uninstalled with names made from a mixture of letters and numbers. When I clicked on them it said what they were and asked to install. This just worked for 1/2 of them (I think that I just needed to ok the message about them being untrusted 3rd party software). The other 1/2 said the certificate had expired so I had to change the date of the phone.

There are still a few apps that don't have any shortcuts in the apps folder but are listed as being installed. These include a couple of games that I've paid for. Is there any way to get these back? I can't reistall these as I'll have to pay for them again!

Other people have reported the same problem with google maps 2.0.14 on the N82 going back over a month and google have not done anything about it. I think they should have deleted this version and I don't advise anyone risk installing version 2.0.14 on S60 3rd edition phones....

Old 27-05-2008, 05:25 PM

blixt is on a distinguished road
I got the exact same issue on an N95 8GB when updating Google Maps from 2.0.7 to 2.0.14 so it's obviously a consistent error... I'll try to contact Google about it as well -- hopefully it will get attention eventually...