All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-12-2007, 10:42 PM

billyerskine is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 9500 Hanging!!

I have recently bought a Nokia 9500 I am really pleased with my purchase however I am constantly getting a message in the top right hand corner that says "Drawing". This happens when I try to open an Adobe file or if I try to close an application from the Menu button. I have not been able to open any Adobe files due to this problem!!
Can anyone help me?

Old 17-12-2007, 12:31 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
"Drawing" from the Acrobat Reader application means that it is trying to render the graphics inside the .pdf file for viewing. If it is a complicated graphic (high-res scan for example), it may take a very l-o-n-g time.

Try opening a smaller simpler .pdf file with Acrobat Reader.

Also, since you mentioned that you had "killed" some tasks there may be remnants in memory that are causing this problem.

Does the problem persist after a cold-boot?

You may want to consider getting the TASKSPY application (free) which will enable you to:

1. Reboot your 9500 without removing the battery (convenient!).
2. Kill a non-responding task.
3. Examine the running TASKS/PROCESSES/THREADS and see if there is anything amiss.

I have found that there are many poorly written applications for the 9300/9500which when they closed/terminated leave "junk" in system memory which affects how other programs run.

Another thought...have you loaded your 9500 up with so many applications in the Communicator memory that you don't have enough memory left to open a .pdf file? Check your memory usage and see if that might be the problem.

Good luck!

Old 20-12-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks for your info,
where can I download this application? I have moved some of the files around as I thought the same. This does appear to have resolved the hanging and "Drawing" message. My memory usage on the device is 8956KB on my memory card is 104MB, now that I have moved them around.
I am also trying to install the flashplayer 5 which should be pre-installed but isn't on mine, hence i am unable to view some websites requiring flash. As i am new to the device I am unsure what should be installed or is best to have installed could you advise me?
Ads

Old 31-12-2007, 12:45 AM

TaskSpy may be obtained from the developers website:

http://www.pushl.com/taskspy

As far as recommended applications, I have posted these in many other threads on this and other boards:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=57936

Back to your memory, if you have a 1 GB card, it sounds like you nearly have it filled up. What about your system RAM? Have you installed so much there that you don't have any maneuvering room to open applications?

Use TaskSpy or even better DEVMAN to look at how much you have committed and how much you have left.

With any computer, performance is a measure of how much you make it try to do at a time (multitasking) in how much room (memory).

Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the information, I have got TaskSpy installed now and I'm getting to grips with the functions. Can you tell me if I install an application is it best to install on the Device or the memory card? Ive just ordered a 1GB card.

One other thing that is really getting to me is that when I use the web browser installed or the Opera 3 I installed I am unable to view some sites that use Flash!!
I have been all over the Adobe/Macromedia sites to try and download Flash 5 which I believe should be installed on the device and is compatable with series 80.

Can you tell me where I am able to download a copy?

Thanks again!!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 AM

I tend to install applications in the device memory, rather than in the external memory. I keep data (e-books, videos, music, documents, pictures) in the external memory.

I also have a 1 GB card and keep it about half full with "stuff'.

About website with Flash...that's another matter. The built-in Opera browser can only handle the older flash versions. To my knowledge there is no updated plug-in for the browser.

You may want to try Opera Mini 4, but I don't know if it will solve your flash playing problem.

My use of my 9300 is a "with-me-allways" repository of information and "the-internet-in-a-pinch", so I don't expect perfect surfing of the Internet.

I use my Nokia N800 Internet Tablet for web surfing. It is a good companion product for my 9300 and fills in the gaps between the 9300 and a desktop.