All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 14-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Unregistered

E90 vs 9300i

What I'd really like to see is some comparison pictures of the E90 and the 9300i - with particular reference to its size.

As one who owned an original Nokia 9000i "Brick" and then a 9110i for several years, and was obliged to carry them around in bespoke pockets that my horrified tailor had to incorporate into my jackets, the breakthrough for me came when Nokia managed to squeeze most of the features of a Communicator into a 9300 and I was finally able to slide a smarphone with a usable QWERTY keyboard into a pocket of my jeans - leaving plenty of space in it for Sony Ericsson K800i and a Swiss Army knife as well.

This, to me, does not appear to be a device that could replace my much-loved 9300i - even if it did (like my 9300i) have fax. Which it doesn't. And which thus rules it out anyway, for me.

Old 15-02-2007, 06:17 PM

WST is on a distinguished road
After reading the detailed review (My Symbian) I loved a lot of what E90 offers, but (to me) S60 brings with it a lot of limitations (no Fax, limited calendar, no scheduled messages, no timed profiles, limited contacts search). To me, going with an E90 could be a downgrade, and to top it all off, a heavier downgrade (E90 weight and size)

Do you have similar doubts?

I guess I should buy a few more 9300i phones before they become obsolete, and wait and see if Nokia is going to do anything to address the missing functionality (one advantage is that the introduction of E90 will lower the price of the 9300i).

Old 16-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Unregistered

Great specs, but...

The E90's specs have got me drooling. Unfortunately leaving out fax just spoils the fun for me. I have been missing my fax calls since I picked up the E61 last year and had been expecting the 9500 replacement to bale me out. I might have to go back to the 9500... or the 9300/i. Unless Nokia puts the fax back in before production.

Old 17-02-2007, 02:21 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WST View Post
limited contacts search
What limited contacts search?
http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopi...=269428#269428

Old 18-02-2007, 08:58 AM

WST is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post

On page 2 of My Symbian review ( http://my-symbian.com/s60v3/review_e90.php?page=2 )

It says:
------------------------------------
The Phonebook application is very similar to the Series 80 version, however the Contact search function is extremely simple, only supporting first and last name fields (it's the "Quick search" type function looking for results as you type letters). However, the E90 includes Nokia's Search application that provides all-device global search and quickly locates the searched string in Messages, Emails, Calendar entries, To-dos, Notest, Contacts (all fields) and contents of files. Assign the Search app to the MyOwn or Multimedia key and you can have instant access to the powerful search function with just one button press.
------------------------------------

So it's not part of the contacts search (you must depend on another app.). I guess it depends on how you look at it. But now that you mentioned it the addition of a global search is great. Still, I wish I can search all fields while I'm in contacts. Not a show stopper though, you win some (global search) and you lose some (search within contacts)

Old 30-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Unregistered

For me the big problem with the Nokia 9500 and 9300 was lack of synchronization of NOTES with Outlook - rendering the devices pretty much useless for professional/academics - presumably its target market. Does the E90 address this problem ?

thanks
Ads

Old 30-03-2007, 09:08 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For me the big problem with the Nokia 9500 and 9300 was lack of synchronization of NOTES with Outlook - rendering the devices pretty much useless for professional/academics - presumably its target market. Does the E90 address this problem ?

thanks
Since E90 is an S60 device, the behavior with PCSuite should be the same.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Waiting_4_E90

Question Its Q2 2007.. where's the E90

So when is it due?? Some blogs and forums are saying that there will be some early deliveries in April...

HOW LONG DO WE STILL HAVE TO WAIT ?!?!?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:36 AM

April On Nokia Press release they said 3Q 2007. So, as Nokia usual, end of September, first days of October with limited quantities.

Old 18-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Unregistered

quistion

does anyone know if the E90 come with a back light for the the internal keypad?

Old 19-04-2007, 08:11 AM

Yes! Go to mysymbian site, and see the amount of photos about E90, where is possible to saw that.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:49 PM
m.ash

Smile e 90

great phone with all what i want but can i dowenload msn on it and chat to my friends ,is it compatible with apple mac book

Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 AM
Unregistered

Question

YEah, about the fax support, I really do need it. SOme people just can't get over there faxes and they still use it. WIll there be an update?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Unregistered

how nokia gone backward

Quote:
Originally Posted by WST View Post
After reading the detailed review (My Symbian) I loved a lot of what E90 offers, but (to me) S60 brings with it a lot of limitations (no Fax, limited calendar, no scheduled messages, no timed profiles, limited contacts search). To me, going with an E90 could be a downgrade, and to top it all off, a heavier downgrade (E90 weight and size)

Do you have similar doubts?

I guess I should buy a few more 9300i phones before they become obsolete, and wait and see if Nokia is going to do anything to address the missing functionality (one advantage is that the introduction of E90 will lower the price of the 9300i).
hello sir, when i read your comments i felt i am in clouds, i have been using nokia 9110 on wards and have been the avid user and gladly carried brick in my pocket because i had functinality that i was proud, got to 9300i heaven opened, i had eveything but few silly stuff that kids like, waited with eager for 6 month and then got this rubbish called E90, rubbish thumb control rubbish contact search, just loved the 9300i search i had 1500 contacts all i needed to know remember few letters and in no time found the contact, rubbish text, list is long, i just can not understand how these millions are spent with these weezals in there development department, they must be in planet ziogon, all they need to do is just listen to the users. so as you cleverly said i am going to put my E-crap on the Ebay before everybody find out about it and buy several 9300i, and enjoy life and now i dont even care about few miner fall backs of 9300i.