All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-02-2005, 08:18 PM
RussianCowboy

Beer New to Forums

Hi. I am a 3650 owner and was referred to this website by a Nokia Operator. Just thought you all should know that they come here with questions. And yes they ARE watching.

First, I'd like to thank all those who have posted posted replies in other threads. I have found the answers to many of my questions already. But I do have a couple more for ya:

1. There are several types of OS for the cellphones on the markets(series 60, series 80, series 90?). We have the series 60, so how can we tell if certain software will work on our phones? I know the basic differences between java/jad and sis files btw (IE jad/jar = java). Say for instance I have some jar files on my computer. Is there a way to tell if they will work on my phone or an older java phone. Does it have to be a series 60 phone? Is java software written specifically for phone series or will they work on any java phone with enough memory? Same questions for the SIS Files.

2. Also wondered if OS are backward compatible. For instance will any program that works on a series 60 phone also work on a series 80 phone or another series 60 phone with a more recent OS version. Or are the OS too different?

3. Which type of file is better to load a program onto my phone as. I have two file types for the same program a jar and a jad. I know that they are both compressed files holding the same application program, so does it matter which one is sent to my phone? I have noticed that the jar files are always bigger than the jads, so I have been sending them to my phone. I don't know if there are any differences in the application if it is loaded from a jar or a jad file.

4. I have seen several posts about newer Nokia phones that are better than my 3650 and am interested in buying a newer phone in the future. These phones are sold in Europe and not available in the US. Are these phones compatible with the major carriers in the US. IE T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc.

Thanks for any replies.

Old 16-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Apocalypso

Cool

[quote=RussianCowboy]Hi. I am a 3650 owner and was referred to this website by a Nokia Operator. Just thought you all should know that they come here with questions. And yes they ARE watching.

First, I'd like to thank all those who have posted posted replies in other threads. I have found the answers to many of my questions already. But I do have a couple more for ya:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianCowboy
1. There are several types of OS for the cellphones on the markets(series 60, series 80, series 90?). We have the series 60, so how can we tell if certain software will work on our phones? I know the basic differences between java/jad and sis files btw (IE jad/jar = java). Say for instance I have some jar files on my computer. Is there a way to tell if they will work on my phone or an older java phone. Does it have to be a series 60 phone? Is java software written specifically for phone series or will they work on any java phone with enough memory? Same questions for the SIS Files.
S60/80/90/UIQ is not an OS it is just a platform and all of them run under symbian OS which also have different version like OS 6/7/8/ and just released OS 9

On symbian phone u don’t need a jad files all u need is the right jar file, upload to phone and run installation…

Sis and java games/is not compatible between different platforms, some of them not even compatibile between different OS version.

That’s mean that u need application which writed right for S60 Phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianCowboy
wondered if OS are backward compatible. For instance will any program that works on a series 60 phone also work on a series 80 phone or another series 60 phone with a more recent OS version. Or are the OS too different?

3. Which type of file is better to load a program onto my phone as. I have two file types for the same program a jar and a jad. I know that they are both compressed files holding the same application program, so does it matter which one is sent to my phone? I have noticed that the jar files are always bigger than the jads, so I have been sending them to my phone. I don't know if there are any differences in the application if it is loaded from a jar or a jad file.

4. I have seen several posts about newer Nokia phones that are better than my 3650 and am interested in buying a newer phone in the future. These phones are sold in Europe and not available in the US. Are these phones compatible with the major carriers in the US. IE T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, etc.

Thanks for any replies.

For more visit bottom link

Get more guides and advice at:

====================
www.symbian-freak.com

Symbian Freak introduces various researches for symbian users like:
Error Fixes, Modding, Guides, Tutorials and offcourse a detailed forum with professional support.

To get more out of your favourite device, visit the website.
Ads