All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-08-2007, 10:10 AM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard and N95: some keys not 'working'

I'm having some trouble with my N95 and Stowaway "ultra-slim" Bluetooth keyboard (here's my original post about how I found the latter). This is a bit of a long shot, but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has had the trouble, before I try contacting tech support at Think Outside.

In short, for the last few days, some of the keys on the Stowaway have stopped responding on the N95 - i.e. they don't seem to send any signal to the phone. The affected keys that I am aware of, are:

- the 'down' and 'right' cursor keys;
- the 'delete' key (note: not 'Backspace');
- the '\|/' key;
- the right-hand space bar (for anyone who hasn't seen this keyboard, the space bar is split into two; with the blue 'Fn' modifier key, these keys map to the N95's 'softkeys' for menus, etc.)

I haven't spilled any liquid over the keyboard, not (AFAIK) has it been dropped or received any knocks. It's possible that this could be hardware failure, but I have a gut instinct that it's a software problem of some kind - maybe a conflict between the Stowaway driver and the 'built-in' Nokia wireless keyboard driver?

Either way, this problem effectively means I can't use the keyboard remotely with the N95 - I have to use some keys on the phone, as the Stowaway can't perform some of the functions it used to (e.g. the right-hand menu button). It's a bit of a pain, frankly...

Any suggestions gratefully received - many thanks.

Tim
Ads

Old 31-08-2007, 10:55 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Just so we're clear ..

This is the Dell branded one we're dealing with??

Try reinstalling .. the driver .. hopefully that will reset any settings you might have errantly picked up.

FYI here's my OPtions TAB ..
Disable IR after: don't disable
Bluetooth Security: On
Layout: US Standard

Status Tab shows this
BT Keyboard connected(secure) Battery is normal. Firmware version 1.2

Key repeat rate 150
Key repeat delay 550

In the Options there's a "Set Default" .. try using this ..

About shows this
Stowaway keyboard driver Version1.3 copyright .. www.igo.com

if it has been working either you picked up a hardware fault or a settings issue.
my money is on the later.

Good Luck!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:25 AM

cool'n'funky is on a distinguished road
I agree with seki. The other thing to check is (as you say) that the Nokia driver isn't active. If you've used that at all then I think by default that it has auto start enabled, so check that it is properly disabled and isn't just hiding in the background. As it has auto start a restart of the phone won't get rid of it, you have to change the setting.

Other thing I'd try is removing the driver for the keyboard, deleting the bluetooth pairing, restarting the phone (take the battery out for a bit) then reinstalling and re-pairing again. Bit of a pain, but might just get shot of any random fluff that's interfering.

FYI the thinkoutside driver stays in the memory eating battery if you don't restart the phone. So I've been restarting the phone after I finish using the keyboard anyway to help with battery life.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM

Thanks for your thoughts above - it does sound like a software driver issue causing this. I think I may have activated the Nokia keyboard driver during a bout of 'fiddling' during the last week or so, and if it then autostarts, that might explain the trouble I'm experiencing.

Will try this out on Monday, when I can retrieve the Stowaway from my work desk locker (at least, I hope that's where I left the thing...!).

Much appreciated

Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 AM

How do I disable/remove the Nokia keyboard driver?

Apologies for the delay - I've been a bit busy this week...

Working on the premise that the keyboard problem comes from the Nokia driver being active and conflicting with the Stowaway driver, I've tried most of the suggestions you gave, including attempting to disable the Nokia driver by going into the "Wlss. Keyboard" application. Doing this results in the N95 screen flickering wildly for about ten seconds, followed by a message something like "Wlss. keyboard: Already in use".

Please could you let me know how I can disable the Nokia driver, and preferably remove it entirely so I don't get this problem in future?

Many thanks

Old 06-09-2007, 01:37 PM

This is really getting annoying...

Seems like whatever I do, those "missing" keys still don't do anything on the N95

I'm as sure as I can be, that the Nokia keyboard driver isn't loaded (that is, without using an advanced process manager application to kill off any residual instances of the driver - maybe I should try that).

Quote:
Other thing I'd try is removing the driver for the keyboard, deleting the bluetooth pairing, restarting the phone (take the battery out for a bit) then reinstalling and re-pairing again. Bit of a pain, but might just get shot of any random fluff that's interfering.
I would've guessed that would do the trick - however, I've tried all the above to no effect, short of removing the battery on the N95, which I'm a bit wary of doing. Wouldn't that wipe the data in the phone memory, including the stuff I want to keep? (I don't use Nokia PC Suite yet for backup - does anyone know if it runs in Linux under WINE?)

This problem with the keyboard is deeply frustrating - with the keys that don't work ('down' and 'right' cursors, the right-hand space bar, the 'slashes/pipe' key), it's well-nigh impossible to operate the N95 with the keyboard alone, which takes away one of the main reasons to use a BT keyboard in the first place

Sorry for moaning here - I'm very grateful for your help, and really hope I can get shot of this problem as soon as possible...

Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 PM

cool'n'funky is on a distinguished road
Pulling the battery out won't affect anything in the phone's memory - all the important stuff is stored in non-volatile memory. Although from what you describe, I doubt it's a problem with the phone anyway.

If you've got anything else bluetooth enabled (computer or PDA or something), I'd try it with that as it should have basic functionality without the iGo driver anyway (I think it uses the HID profile) once you've paired it. That should isolate whether it's a phone or keyboard problem. Other than that, it's a back-to-the shop jobbie I'm afraid.

Old 26-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Sorry I've taken so long to respond - been rather busy the last couple of weeks

cool'n'funky:

Quote:
Pulling the battery out won't affect anything in the phone's memory - all the important stuff is stored in non-volatile memory. Although from what you describe, I doubt it's a problem with the phone anyway.
I was rather hoping it was the phone... and still suspect it might be (though wishful thinking may be playing a part there). I really hope it's not a hardware fault, as I don't know what eXpansys is like when it comes to handling returns, but it seems it's usually a right royal pain for all concerned...

Actually, I don't know if I made this clear enough, but occasionally the 'missing' keys work for a short period after the phone and keyboard pair up. It only seems to last until I start another application (e.g. Messaging), then the keys 'disappear' again.

I think I'll try removing the battery tonight, and hope I don't lose much (aside from whatever's causing the problem, obviously).

If it is a hardware problem, might it be fixable by (for instance) checking the key contacts or something like that?

Old 26-09-2007, 08:29 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Do you have ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawalker View Post
Sorry I've taken so long to respond - been rather busy the last couple of weeks

cool'n'funky:

I was rather hoping it was the phone... and still suspect it might be (though wishful thinking may be playing a part there). I really hope it's not a hardware fault, as I don't know what eXpansys is like when it comes to handling returns, but it seems it's usually a right royal pain for all concerned...

Actually, I don't know if I made this clear enough, but occasionally the 'missing' keys work for a short period after the phone and keyboard pair up. It only seems to last until I start another application (e.g. Messaging), then the keys 'disappear' again.

I think I'll try removing the battery tonight, and hope I don't lose much (aside from whatever's causing the problem, obviously).

If it is a hardware problem, might it be fixable by (for instance) checking the key contacts or something like that?
a bluetooth capable laptop or similar that you can test it out on ?

Good luck!