All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-05-2007, 12:29 AM

vane505 is on a distinguished road
Question Few questions about the GPS. Please help!

I'm about to buy either the N95 or the E-TEN X500, and the N95 is, for the moment, I'm leaning for the N95. I'm just a bit worried about the GPS, because that's quite an important feature for me.

I have heard from users that the GPS is slow and inaccurate, but I have also read that the GPS-functions are improved with some firmware.

So is the GPS working well after the upgrade? I also heard that it has no support for Tom Tom 6 but that it will be supported later on. Is that also the case?

One more thing. Have any of you tried the GPS when sailing? If you are far from land, will the GPS be able to get a signal as well as in land?

Old 26-05-2007, 03:01 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The GPS receiver will get the positioning info from satellites just as easily or more easier on the sea than on land. However, the maps are street maps, so you'd need to find a navigation app more suitable for yachting.

Old 26-05-2007, 04:43 AM

thetruth1983 is on a distinguished road
Eten

Before getting my n95, I was the proud owner of an ETEN M700 which is very similar to the X500. I love the n95 but it seems that the gps takes about 5 minutes to get a lock everytime. On my previous ETEN, the longest I ever had to wait to get a lock was 70 seconds but I usually got a connection after 10 to 20 seconds. I also used TomTom 6 too. I don't think that TomTom works with the internal gps on the N95 yet but i'm confident that it will work in the near future.

If gps is the only thing you are looking for, then the X500 may be better for you but keep in mind that there are many things that are different about these phones such as OS, memory, and applications. Make sure you factor in these things before making your purchase. Me? I've been using windows mobile for the past 3 years but after upgrading to the N95, I haven't looked back at all!

Last edited by thetruth1983; 26-05-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Old 26-05-2007, 07:48 AM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
vane505, seriously you need to forget the N95. There is a far far far bigger range of software available for Windows Mobile, such as GPS stuff, so if it's serious GPS then i would go for the ETEN. Also the GPS is better in the ETEN, faster and more accurate. The large touch screen is far better suited to lots of proper GPS work.

Windows Mobile devices can be turned into fully fledged professional GPS system. The N95 is just a nice phone with some pretty average GPS functionality bolted on.

I use both, but up in the mountains the Windows Mobile device is my best friend. As would it at sea.

A good place to start is www.pocketgpsworld.com. The forums there are very good, and as you will see no serious GPS user would use the N95/Symbian right now. And it's no coincidence that most dedicated GPS systems (tomtom etc) are actually just custom locked Windows Mobile devices inside. Thats one reason why TomTom already works with Windows Mobile internal GPS chips.

If you are a serious hardcore GPS user, the N95 will be a big mistake.

Last edited by autopilot; 26-05-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Old 26-05-2007, 01:00 PM

vane505 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for all your replies! Very helpful!

As you might have understood I'm a newbie on GPS, so I'm wondering if the software (like TomTom) will help to get better signals or is it just the hardware?

Also, this is a bit out of topic, but I have tried to find benchmarks were they compared X500 with N95, but (ofcourse these are two different systems) I can't find anything. So considering the power like the CPU etc, which one of the X500 and N95 is the most powerful?

Also about the OS. What is the differences in the OS and can you distinctively see which one is better than the other? What's better with Windows Mobile and vice verca.

Thank you

Old 26-05-2007, 04:59 PM

gerrit is on a distinguished road
Just another thought on this thread, some of this also comes down to how accurate do you REALLY need.

Ok Ive only had my phone 1 week. Yes The GPS is not the best, using it for street finding it is often a little behind (You start thinking ahead). How much behind against good GPS I dont know.

As for sailing, presently we cannot get chart software. If you want to use it as a chart plotter, the screen size is not there and unless you are constantly charging it the battery life is not there.

"Also, the ETEN M700 had a problem where the gps signal would not update if you were moving at very slow speeds (like 4-5 mph). I don't know if the X500 has this problem but it's a possibility since they are both very similar."

In My mind that knocks outr most boating / Walking applications in my life 4-5 mph is fast!!!

If you are using it as one less toy to carry around to get you home. Its more than accurate enough.

Kind of like the camera, if you want a really good one buy a camera not a phone.

If you want a reasnoble phone and an OK Personel Organiser, GPS & Camera. With Email Ability its quite a nice toy...

Guess I should get a flame suit made....

Last edited by gerrit; 26-05-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Updating
Ads

Old 26-05-2007, 05:18 PM

thetruth1983 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vane505 View Post
Thank you for all your replies! Very helpful!

As you might have understood I'm a newbie on GPS, so I'm wondering if the software (like TomTom) will help to get better signals or is it just the hardware?

Also, this is a bit out of topic, but I have tried to find benchmarks were they compared X500 with N95, but (ofcourse these are two different systems) I can't find anything. So considering the power like the CPU etc, which one of the X500 and N95 is the most powerful?

Also about the OS. What is the differences in the OS and can you distinctively see which one is better than the other? What's better with Windows Mobile and vice verca.

Thank you

As far as I know, the quality of the hardware determines how quickly you will pick up a signal. If you are comparing windows mobile and symbian, I would suggest picking up an old cheap ipaq and nokia to get a feel for both of them. I've owned many windows mobile devices in the past and I really enjoyed my experience with them. The windows mobile phones always felt like they were computers first and phones second while symbian seems to be the other way around.

Since you are leaning towards the N95, why don't you just pick that up and get a dedicated gps system. They are not as expensive as they once were. Also, the ETEN M700 had a problem where the gps signal would not update if you were moving at very slow speeds (like 4-5 mph). I don't know if the X500 has this problem but it's a possibility since they are both very similar.

Old 26-05-2007, 08:39 PM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why would there be any benchmarks? There cant be compared and which has the fastest Mhz makes no difference because they are completely different architectures and do different jobd. It's completely irrelevant

Quote:

Thank you
You could end up writing an essay trying to answer that. The difference is huge, as already said Windows Mobile is a mini computer with vast more functions and heaps more software available. Symbian is just a phone, with a few extra PDA like functions added on. It's a hole different ball game, but its too much for some people who dont like installing load of extra stuff and playing around with all the settings.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people on here that don't use Windows Mobile, or have just played with a mates, and try and tell you want its all about and dont really understand what its all about. I have used both a lot, but as said above, you need to use one for a while. Nothing to old, make sure it has at least WM5 or later. But you need to have one for quite a while, there is so much to play with it can suck your life away. Good fun though

Old 30-05-2007, 04:10 AM

Apache is on a distinguished road
At first I was disappointed of the GPS functionality, but after upgrading to the latest software, it works just fine for me. Just gave it a try driving 1000 km to France and back and connection was 99.9% stable. Connection also came up very fast every time i started up the Maps function .. I'd say much less than 1 minute in average. Accuracy concerning the position was very good .. only flaw... with one-way streets in french cities .. oh my ...

One thing you gotta be extremely careful with though in case you go for the N95 .... you have to download all Maps you'll need beforehand and select in the Navigation Settings to N E V E R go online during Navigation. If this is not done the N95 connects continuously to the Internet for downloading Maps and calculating routes... and if you do this in foreign ripp-off roaming terretories... you'll be broke for life in a matter of hours..

Old 30-05-2007, 08:33 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Yes, I agree with that: the GPS is far better than people are making out. We had a long car trip over the weekend and used both my N95 and the wife's E50/TomTom. The N95 is undoubtedly dreadfully slow to get a signal but other than that I have to say that there wasn't much to choose between them. There are even some aspects of the N95 set-up that the wife says she wishes were in TomTom, like the zooming in and out, and the way you're told what your next manoeuvre is going to be, or just, "Continue for a while" if it's more than ten miles or so. At one point, TomTom crashed about five times in a row so we switched completely to the N95.

Having said that, I don't think I'd take to sea or up a mountain without a standalone unit.