All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60 > N-Gage

Old 10-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Unregistered

I came from a 7650/ ngage/ ngage qd/ n73/ n95 8gb to a iphone. Nokia really messed up in their games department, for godsake they showed off all kinded off opengles games running on the n93 and the ngage 2 was born and opengles was killed....

In holland you really see this trend:

higher Business levels: people tend to have blackberry's
lower business levels: people tend to have cheap nokia s40 models
Casual and gamers: iphones just for apps and hype ( a lot of people buy iphones just because the brand )

I still see a lot of symbian phones around but they are mostly bought buy who don;t even know its symbian and just buy it because its cheaper then iphone and hey its nokia.

People with iphone buy apps ( trend, lot of free publicity on television )
People with symbian download emu's and or don't care about apps a phone needs to make phone calls why play games ( in general )

its a real shame as nokia really had the change to stand out with ngage 2.0, but they personally let it die

Old 10-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
I'm not sure I agree that people buy iPod Touches/iPhones BECAUSE of iTunes/AppStore, I suspect it's more for other reasons; form-factor, hype, sexiness, take your pick. But I do agree that the AppStore makes owning an iPT/iPhone (I have an iPod Touch) a pleasurable experience, something which the Ovi store fails to achieve. The fragmented availability of the Ovi store, the general user-unfriendliness, poor device support and the lack of redownloads are all examples of what a poor experience the Ovi Store is.

The problem that Nokia have with all this is that many people will buy one Nokia handset (which probably doesn't work properly), try OVI Store once (and find it a load of rubbish), and then move to an iPhone and never look back. While you may some high-end users moving away from the iPhone, as they want a device which allows a bit more freedom, has "proper" multi-tasking etc., this represents a small part of the market. I personally am very happy with my 2-year-old E90, but my friends and colleagues who have iPhones are also very happy with their choices, and their overall owner-experience is clearly higher than what you currently get from buying a Nokia...
while I can agree that people didn't originally buy ipods for iTunes, I think times have changed greatly since Apple ventured into mobile products. While I think ppl didn't buy the iPhone for the app store, I think ppl EXPECT the app store experience now as the new generation of mobile electronics users is probably different from when ipods were introduced in 2001(wow, almost 9 years ago!!). It's like buying a car, I didn't buy it because it has 4 wheels and a steering wheel, but I sure expect it there.

I pretty much agree with you otherwise - us tech geeks are a small market. Niche, actually, and it might actually better on a business perspective for Nokia to stop catering to that market specifically, and start looking at the broad picture on improving services. And while hi-end HW still is a necessity, it's not everything. What Nokia actually have to learn is how to capitalize on their resources to eek out as much out of their spending as possible.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:16 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I came from a 7650/ ngage/ ngage qd/ n73/ n95 8gb to a iphone. Nokia really messed up in their games department, for godsake they showed off all kinded off opengles games running on the n93 and the ngage 2 was born and opengles was killed....
OpenGL ES wasn't killed, but the device arm of the company just stopped making devices with hardware graphics acceleration. OpenGL ES on a device like the N97 runs like a dog, if you try to do anything fancy.

Since the N82/N95 8GB, the N900 (with maemo Linux) is the first device in the last couple of years with hardware graphics acceleration. I suspect it'll still be a while before hw acceleration comes back to the Symbian based devices.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:44 PM
MikeGL2

Hardware Accelerated Games

I will have to agree with several people above. I never even considered buying an NGage game since it had no hardware acceleration. After seeing demoes of a few of the games with hardware acceleration (One, SR) it was horrible to play the java software rendered versions. By trying to make the platform work on all devices, they ended up churning out games no one really cared to buy. Similar to most people here, I will miss the promise that NGage represented, but will in no way miss the reality that it became.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:50 PM
MikeGL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
OpenGL ES wasn't killed, but the device arm of the company just stopped making devices with hardware graphics acceleration. OpenGL ES on a device like the N97 runs like a dog, if you try to do anything fancy.

Since the N82/N95 8GB, the N900 (with maemo Linux) is the first device in the last couple of years with hardware graphics acceleration. I suspect it'll still be a while before hw acceleration comes back to the Symbian based devices.
Although you are right that they didn't focus on hardware accelerated games because there latest devices were lacking good 3d capabilities it does not excuse their bad decisions. If this is the case they took the first bad decision of not putting 3d graphics accelerated chips in their high end devices and made another bad decision on top of that by not making hardware accelerated games for NGage. A bad decision based on a previous bad decision doesn't make the second decision a good one.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:05 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
Nintendo do not build mobile phones.
Ads

Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Unregistered

uh oh

looks like someone defeated the captcha anti-spam system.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Collision_Cat

Thumbs up

That was a good article, well done! =)
Someone at Nokia would do well to read it and try knocking some sense into their co-workers. =P