All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia E90

Old 24-05-2008, 09:31 AM

colinfmarshall is on a distinguished road
Connection error streaming BBC radio feeds using the Realplayer Mobile on an E90.

Problem

I am experiencing a problem with the version of Realplayer Mobile pre-loaded on a Nokia E90 running Symbian S60 (version s60.30.19.02M 10-May-2007 09:58:18). The problem occurs when trying to stream the BBC live radio feeds at www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/radio/listen after selecting an ‘RM’ feed there is a couple of seconds pause followed by the error message “Disconnected. Try connecting again?”

Environment

The phone is connecting through my home wifi router (a Netgear WGT624v2) which acts as my network hub. This network hub services a home PC and a work laptop base station, via Ethernet cables, and also to various wifi devices such as PSP’s, laptops and the phone.

The internet connection is supplied by a broadband router (an SMC SMC7404 BRA UK) connected into the wifi network hub via Ethernet

All devices – the mobile, the hub, the broadband router – are running on the current firmware versions.

The wifi connection to the phone works for both web and email. Realplayer mobile plays video and music files.

Further Information

I can successfully stream the www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/radio/listen feeds over my home PC (Windows XP service pack 3) using RealPlayer (Version 11.0.3 Helix Powered Build: 6.0.14.806) which obviously routes through the wifi hub and the broadband router.

On casting around various forums I notice that there may be an issue with Realplayer mobile using different ports than Realplayer. Although, there seems to be no official information on the port settings someone has suggested the range of 6970 to 7170 on UDP is correct. Although, I’m uncomfortable opening such a large range I have allowed port forwarding on the wifi hub to the mobile (no, the mobile is not using a static IP address but I have confirmed that the IP address is correct).

I have also opened both 6970 and 7170 ports on the broadband router for UDP (note not the full range).

Correspondingly, the Realplyer mobile Streaming settings on the phone are :

Proxy->Use Proxy : “No”

Network->Default Access point: “mywifihub”
Network->Online Time: “Unlimited”
Network->Lowest UDP port: “6970”
Network->Highest UDP port: “7170”

Help ?

I’m obviously looking for some guidance here. Can someone please solve my problem ?

I’d like to know:

• Why is realplayer mobile is connecting in a different way to realplayer ?
• What are the ports that realplayer mobile requires, and why does it need them ?
• Is there anything else I need to do to get this thing working ?

Many Thanks,
colin
Ads

Old 24-05-2008, 09:47 AM

confucious is on a distinguished road
Have you tried browsing via 3G and seeing if it works? I've just tried on my phone (latest firmware - maybe you should upgrade yours?) and it works via 3G. I never use my home network as I find 3G a lot easier but if you just try 3G it might point you in the right direction.

Good luck