All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-05-2003, 05:25 PM

crafti is on a distinguished road
Advanced English Dictionary WOW!!

I Just downloaded and tried this advanced English Dictionary.

http://www.jdictionary-mobile.com/aed2003_for_p800.html

This looks like the dogs b*llocks however the demo is set to random lookup so you can't see the corresponding information to a word that you insert. Has anyone purchased this yet? Can you let me know your thoughts? I'm really interested in buying this but would rather seek users views first. I really hoped something like this would come out but didn't hold up much hope.

Thanks in advance

Old 29-05-2003, 05:56 PM

No I couldn't resist. For £12.50 it wasn't worth waiting. This is a fabulous and usefull tool and worth every penny (at least to me it is).

Old 30-05-2003, 09:42 AM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
Looks very good, but think I will have to wait until the 128MB card turns up before I will have enough space to install it! :-?

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 30-05-2003, 10:06 AM

The Mus is on a distinguished road
Just what I have been waiting for. How much space does it take??? My 128MB MS Duo should be arriving soon!!! Cant wait

Old 30-05-2003, 11:46 AM

Muzikfreakah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crafti
No I couldn't resist. For £12.50 it wasn't worth waiting. This is a fabulous and usefull tool and worth every penny (at least to me it is).
http://shop.my-symbian.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=695&javaDevic e=P800&device=P800&currency=Handango%20Ger man&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productType= 2&platformId=4&productId=61240

How come it says 24.48 here :(

http://www.jdictionary-mobile.com/purchase.html
but 19,99 here

Old 30-05-2003, 11:47 AM

Absolutely fantastic app. At last... something that looks "professional" and I would use on a daily basis (other than HandyDAY)

I would love to buy it. But you pay via PAYPAL, which wants my "state" and Zip ... not wishing to get into US-bashing .... but not everyone lives in the US you know. Plus I don't like paypal.

So they can take a running jump as far as I am concenered. Cannot see why any firm would actually make it DIFFICULT for someone to give them money. Those sort of firms go bust quite quickly. Fools.

Old 30-05-2003, 12:03 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
Then just buy it through my-symbian or handango who accept credit cards. There's no need to write a company off for making it difficult to buy, when there's plenty of places and ways.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 30-05-2003, 12:22 PM

There are indeed other ways and means ... more expensive ways and means too !

17 Euros on "their" site, as opposed to E24 on my symbian (asme in $) and $24 on handago.

Perhaps I am just being overly grumpy today. :roll:

Old 30-05-2003, 12:26 PM

Actually, I've only ever used Pay Pal once before (and I cancelled that order and got a refund) but I did get a free $5 balance as an introductory offer. This seemed the perfect way to finally get rid of that. So the Dictionary has actually cost me just under £10!

Unfortunately, it's going to cost another £9 to download the 6.3MB SIS file over GPRS!!!!

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Old 30-05-2003, 12:56 PM

There are worse was to spend a tenner :fadein:

Have bought it after all. Is utterly brilliant. Not only a dictionary, but more of an encyclopedia. Plus it has rude words too :P

The "word surfing" through the associated words features is more fun the Strategic Assault !

Old 30-05-2003, 02:07 PM

Muzikfreakah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noger
Absolutely fantastic app. At last... something that looks "professional" and I would use on a daily basis (other than HandyDAY)

I would love to buy it. But you pay via PAYPAL, which wants my "state" and Zip ... not wishing to get into US-bashing .... but not everyone lives in the US you know. Plus I don't like paypal.

So they can take a running jump as far as I am concenered. Cannot see why any firm would actually make it DIFFICULT for someone to give them money. Those sort of firms go bust quite quickly. Fools.
But you can click on "oustide the u.s.?" Whats wrong with paypal? I was jsut about to buy it till I read your post, is there something wrong with paypal?

Old 30-05-2003, 02:13 PM

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with PayPal as such. It's just not as quick and convenient (for the user!) as using your VISA\Mastercard.

You just need to set up a PayPal account and then a means of transfering funds into it in order to cover your purchases. And, of course, you loose out a little on any involving currency exchanges.

But the dictionary is definitely worth getting. I've been looking for one for the P800 for a while. There are quite a few available on Mobipocket ebook format, but this is way better than any of them.

Ads

Old 30-05-2003, 02:19 PM

Quote:
But you can click on "oustide the u.s.?"
ops: Yes, spotted that later.

Paypal ? There is quite a lot of anti-Paypal feeling (but then there is lot of anti anything sucessful I guess). I don't like the idea of them holding my CC details. And there have been a few scams surrounding it.

Mostly the "anti"s are those that use it to sell via Ebay etc, and have had to sue to get their money out of their accounts after paypal froze the account. AFAIK there is class action suit pending in the US at the moment.

But don't let that put you off. I have used it in the past with no problems, as have millions of people. I was just being grumpy :roll:

Old 30-05-2003, 10:15 PM

My only gripe is you cannot distinguish nor turn off the american b*stardisation of the English language.

Old 30-05-2003, 11:08 PM

Quote:
My only gripe is you cannot distinguish nor turn off the american b*stardisation of the English language.
Perhaps it could be re-named "Advanced American Dictionary".