All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-04-2003, 10:07 AM

MaxLinux is on a distinguished road
My phone doesn't want to send my reply.

Just wondering if anyone had come across to this problem. I've been using my P800 for 2 months now without any problem so far. The other day, I received a SMS from my daughter ( my daughter is in the Philippines and I am in the Middle East). This is the first time it happened though. After reading the message, I tapped on the "Reply" button, and composed my reply on the mini-keyboard, then tapped "Done". When I tap on "Send", it doesn't do anything. The arrow in middle of the screen just disappears everytime I tap on the Send button. Then after awhile, a small pop up window appeared that says "Not enough memory". WTF is he talking about. I've checked my memory usage from the HandyDay, I have 46% on the phone memory and 20% on the MS. Another interesting thing is that I can reply to the previous SMS messages that I did received but not this one. Isn't that weird?

Old 16-04-2003, 10:20 AM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
Wierd indeed.
If you haven't done it, kill a few tasks using Handy Day -- if there was a 'Reply Requested' header on the SMS it might psh you over the edge.

Though probably not related, I found that certain networks do not take to 'Reply'. For example, while I could reply to certain networks in Latvia and Russia, some of the Pay As You Go networks there would refuse a 'Reply', and I had to 'Send' the message instead; then it works fine.

On the Nokia OS, there is a "Reply using same message center" [sic] option which may, or may not have something to do with it.

None of this really answers your question though... :-?

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 16-04-2003, 10:42 AM

I have done that. I even freed some memory using the Switcher. I even uninstalled the Appforge or what ever they call it. I have uninstalled some games that I have installed recently but it didn't help. I even deleted some mp3 songs from the MS and only 1 is left but that didn't help. Really weird.

Old 16-04-2003, 07:09 PM

touchstone is on a distinguished road
SMS Replay problem

Exactly the same problem for me too. I doesn't seem to matter if I free up memory - only powering off then back on again resolves the problem. Its annoying though because any SMS replay that I have wriiten doesn't get saved to outbox or even draft! I wonder if the latest upgrade will make any difference to this? :-?

Regards

Gary Goring

Old 16-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
I used to have this problem as well, but not anymore. I found out that I needed to do a massive tidy-up in my contacts.

What I did was: I made sure that all of my local contact's had the international prefix in front of the numbers(i.e. Norway= +47), but I still kept getting sms's with just the number displayed, unable to reply.

Then I realised that I still had the same contact in the sim-memory without the prefix, so I then changed all my sim-contacts to also display the international prefix(the local ones), and now, when the contact's match, I haven't experienced one single problem sending sms's.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 17-04-2003, 09:02 AM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
Good thinking that man!

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 17-04-2003, 11:00 AM

Andy_P is on a distinguished road
yep this is a sim contact problem.

Plenty of threads about other users having the exact same issue.

Old 18-04-2003, 05:35 AM

I totally agree and disagree. As I have stated, my daughter has some previous messages in my Inbox. I can reply to the old messages but not the currently received message. I got +63 prefixed in the contact so I don't think that was the problem. The SMS clearly tells me that I received a message from my daughter with telephone +63 123-4567890 and that's the same as what I have in the contact entry and that's the same what I have in the previous message from her. My phone firmware is R1B.

Old 18-04-2003, 05:48 AM

enterprise is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLinux
I totally agree and disagree. As I have stated, my daughter has some previous messages in my Inbox. I can reply to the old messages but not the currently received message. I got +63 prefixed in the contact so I don't think that was the problem. The SMS clearly tells me that I received a message from my daughter with telephone +63 123-4567890 and that's the same as what I have in the contact entry and that's the same what I have in the previous message from her. My phone firmware is R1B.
R1B... then maybe you just need to have your P800's firmware upgraded.

Old 18-04-2003, 06:01 AM

got same "cannot send reply on SMS" problem, since I've loaded my old addressbook from my PC to my P800 with so many sync. trials.
I also got problem with "SIM phone book reading hanged!" and now I can't access my SIM card contacts. I'm thinking of "Master Reseting my P800", is this helps? my frameware is still R1B. help!

Old 18-04-2003, 06:01 AM

Yeah, I will do that when I get home to the Philippines and that's only this July. I hope they have already the R2D at that time.

Old 18-04-2003, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I will do that when I get home to the Philippines and that's only this July. I hope they have already the R2D at that time.
mmmmm mag-ja-jollibee ka ba kabayan? (inside joke)
Ads

Old 18-04-2003, 06:37 AM

Quote:
mmmmm mag-ja-jollibee ka ba kabayan?
That's a good suggestion. What is the latest F/W available in SE Service Point in Makati kabayan?

Old 18-04-2003, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
mmmmm mag-ja-jollibee ka ba kabayan?
That's a good suggestion. What is the latest F/W available in SE Service Point in Makati kabayan?
I'm here in Singapore, so I don't know what's the latest. Sorry.

Old 19-04-2003, 12:20 PM

That's ok bro.