All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Top 20 Freeware for the Samsung i8910 HD

Looking for fully-working freeware for your Samsung i8910 HD (Symbian flagship smartphone)? Look no further than my definitive top 20 list (with a few apps 'bubbling under'), everything here has been tested to install and work. And, most of all, not to require you to dip into your wallet! I'll also be doing a 'Top 20' commercial software for the i8910 HD (Omnia HD) next month, so watch for that. Comments welcome, as always.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Gr8 collection Steve. I liked the psiloc world traveller

Old 17-08-2009, 09:04 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Steve. Appreciated. Loading some of these right now. ;-)
Ads

Old 17-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Strange. Installation of X-Plore is "not supported".

Old 17-08-2009, 11:14 AM

Jules_N93 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, very valuable post.

Old 17-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Unregistered

shazam

shazam is now there for s60v5 as well. Works fine on my i8910, might even be faster than the Iphone version, for free of course

Old 17-08-2009, 01:07 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the useful list!
I was very surprised to learn that the Ovi Files client works on the i8910. As a general rule, programs from Nokia are signed to run on Nokia handsets only. Let's hope this is the first of many exceptions. In particular, it would be cool if in the near future Sports Tracker would be also made capable to run on non-Nokia devices.

Old 17-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
In particular, it would be cool if in the near future Sports Tracker would be also made capable to run on non-Nokia devices.
Who says it can't?.....

Old 17-08-2009, 02:59 PM

surge is on a distinguished road
Hey! Good post..

I have some notes to add since I have tried some if not all of those apps and have had some issues, so I will start from the top:

1.) Google Maps and Youtube can not run in full screen mode yet. I am sure they will update it soon, but just to let people know.

2.) Opera Mini runs terrible on my device. It eats memory like a bucket of chicken at oprah winfreys -- and eventually crashes after it slows down to a crawl. This looks like an issue with how java is handled on the i8910 (I think).

3.) AccuWeather And Weatherbug are great! But -- does anyone have the home screen widgets for either of these services? I would *LOVE* that. I believe some firmwares come with the AccuWeather widget, but the italian IG2 does not unfortunately. If you can please rip and upload the widget I would be grateful.

4.) Parlingo is awesome, but if I keep it open for more than 3-4 hours, it freezes. I can no longer open the program, and I can not exit it using the task manager either. In order to get back into it, I have to soft-reset the phone. I contacted them about this and not sure why but most people say it doesn't do that for them. Perhaps its a network issue?

5.) An alternative to SMS Preview is iSMS. I have tried it and it does work properly on the i8910 with Italian IG2 firmware. http://dailymobile.se/2009/03/13/sym...0v3-and-s60v5/ There may be a newer version than the one on that link, I am not sure.

6.) QiK is not coded properly for the i8910. It will work -- but the flash control doesn't work -- and you can not change the resolution of the video past a certain setting -- i forget how high it can go, but it's not 720p. Maybe it's 480p (D1) -- not sure. I would also recommend adjusting your recorded audio gain settings, since the audio comes out very distorted if you don't.

To do that, enter *#0002*28346# in the dialpad, then 3 -- records, and adjust all the different audio recording options. I think it defaults to 24db which is wayy too loud and sensitive for this mic. I have mine set to 18 on all 4 entries.
It does make a huge difference. If you are planning on streaming concerts or a party, I would suggest setting the db even lower to 12, or 6. Experiment and find the "sweet spot" where you will get the best audio quality.

One thing I would really like is a free more powerful calculator than the standard one that comes with the phone. I haven't researched it yet, but if anyone know of one, please let me know.

Hope this post will help some people.

Old 17-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

Have you even checked the items you're posting?

The sky mobile app is not compatible.

I know, because I've bothered to check.

Old 17-08-2009, 09:13 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
I must confess I could not actually download the Sky app - I got the message non-existant web-site. At least knowing it does not work I can stop looking

Old 18-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Jules_N93 is on a distinguished road
Surge, you can adjust the settings for the google apps under the options-button when highlighting the app, so you can have them run in full screen. It's prolly called something like 'suite-options', not sure tho cause I have a dutch I8910. Full screen works fine here.

Some errors concerning 'compatibilty' (if not all) can be resolved by running helloOX.

Old 18-08-2009, 11:51 AM

Arcade is on a distinguished road
Can someone please check if either Handy Taskman or JBak Taskman work on 5th edition devices or not ?

Old 18-08-2009, 01:29 PM

bawjkt is on a distinguished road
Handy Taskman

yes, Handy Taskman runs on i8910.

Old 18-08-2009, 01:35 PM

bawjkt is on a distinguished road
Steve - what version of firmware are you running on your test i8910?

My Norwegian 16GB unit is still on stock firmware and Opera Mini gets mired within minutes every time.

Any known remedy to this Opera Mini problem? Anything newer than Italian firmware?

grrrrrreat roundup - I knew this phone would be an ongoing project, and it's looking brighter and brighter