All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 31-10-2009, 07:29 AM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Had to happen

Really, the writing was on the wall from the time OVI branding came into force. This isn't the end of gaming on Nokia phones, far from it, so those that bought the phone for N-Gage needn't feel neglected. If anything, this just means games will be sourced from ovi store. I can see the point about the lack of community features, but really, most games just didn't take advantage of the network anyway. What would be neat is if Nokia can move to 'Ovi Gaming', and have the ngage leaderboards etc moved there, and have the ability to see online ovi friends and setup games with them, etc, much like the playstation network, or xbox live. Will it happen? Probably not until another phone o/s does it, and Nokia feel the need to play catch up :P

Old 31-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Unregistered

Angry

Poor N-Gage. As far as I'm concerned, the one that needs to be shut down are the bunch of idiots who have been making all the decisions for Nokia for the past couple of years.

Old 31-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

nGage = Fail
Comes With Music = Fail
Appstore = Fail
Ovi = Fail
Maps / Ovi Maps = OK

Perhaps Nokia just doesn't have a clue about building services... They certainly won't be able to compete with Google!

Even tiny companies who invented Spotify out do the mega fail "comes with music".

Old 31-10-2009, 10:29 AM
tsunam

wasn't this site stating every time that there was no need of 3d hardware acc??? and now you blame the failure was because of the lack of 3d hardware lol?? lol i've been quite some time telling does blind idiots on the n-gage forums, maybe now they realise that ngage was a shit platform. i used to tell them that n-gage was was going to die and end soon if things were going to remain the same. but they used to say that it was the best platform bla bla bla. i just got feed up of talking to blind ppl on ngage forum. nokia killed ngage for the second time. lol i dont want to die using does crappy java games on that ovi s h i t store. im really angry cause i really loved ngage and i also had the classic ngage. and i must say that incompetent ppl working at nokia lead ngage this way. iphone here i come!!!

Old 31-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

Nokia going down the drain

No hidden agenda, no plug for another phone or service - just an unhappy customer.

I'm on my 7th Nokia smartphone, which is the N97 - and it is more than likely going to be the last Nokia phone I ever own - purely on principle.

This NGage situation (and the way it has been run) just seems to be another example that Nokia really have lost the plot.
For some time, all they want to do is keep their customers in the dark, ship shoddy and incomplete devices, software and services, and pretend everything is okay.

If they have lost money / profits this year, then its a situation they need to get used to.
I'm currently on my 3rd N97 handset, and will soon be on my 4th - and have lost all faith in Nokia, which is an achievement for them, as I was the 'typical' Nokia fanboy.

End of Ngage ? - more like another nail in the coffin for Nokia . . . . . . .
Ads

Old 31-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
Does anyone else get the impression that Nokia doesn't know what it's doing any more?
Oh, yes! For the past couple of years at least... Hopefully Maemo will change some things for the better, but I'm not overly optimistic...
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 31-10-2009, 02:56 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
Apart from texting and making and receiving phone calls. Mobile phones do everything else second or even third or forth best.

I would rather do pc stuff on a laptop, take photos with a camera, listen to music on an ipod and play games on a DSi.

Can't blame Nokia for trying though and the iphones bubble will burst in a couple of years as well.

Old 31-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
Does anyone else get the impression that Nokia doesn't know what it's doing any more?

I have the same feeling. They don't know what they are doing.

N-Gage = fail
N97 = epic fail
OVI = no focus

Customer support = n/a

Biased reviews and news here (AAS). I used to love this site, but lately this site has become voice of Nokia. That's why my comments are so negative and cynical.

Old 31-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
How very annoying. I had the original N-Gage and enjoyed games on that one. But I didn't buy a phone that was compatible with the N-Gage platform until 3 weeks ago, when I got myself a black E52, and instantly installed and bought a few games for it. And now it's to be killed.

I think the N-Gage generation had three noticeable flaws to it.

1) It took too damn long for them to release it, they started to talk about releasing N-Gage to multiple S60 devices back in 2005, but we didn't see it until 2008.

2) Due the fact it took them so long, the initial N-Gage compatible devices, turned out to not be compatible with N-Gage at all, like the N73 and N93.

3) And most importantly, the poor selection of games. Besides the Dirk Dagger games, there aren't really anything that offer much of a story and at the same time the DD games offer a very poor replayability. The original N-Gage had some great RPGs like Rifts: Promise of Power and Shadowkey, but none of that on the N-Gage platform. Same with excellent turnbased games like Pathway to Glory and Civilization but none of that here either. And the kind of game I want to play the most, are RPGs. Instead we mostly got lightweight casual games, which isn't really that different from the java games available.

Old 31-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Unregistered

I know of not one single person who bought a phone because it came with a silly virtual platform for playing games.

With N-Gage you could run a game on your phone, but you had to jump through stupid N-Gage hoops to start it.

Without N-Gage you can start the game from an icon just like any other app. What is the point of N-Gage?

Getting rid of a silly overhead is a very sensible thing. The 9 people in the world who believe they want N-Gage aren't going to be a problem.

They can look somewhere else for a phone that wraps its games in a silly virtual system. They won't find one.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Serious 60``

Oh good

It's too bad that Nokia has basically lost any confidence in its own decisions.
I remember when Nokia refused to get into the clamshell business because they thought it was a fad...and though nokia did eventually give in due to falling sales to clamshell, they were bang on.
I feel like Nokia really understood what made a good mobile, but no one seems to have an idea of what the hell their service strategy is.
They have closed a huge number of services and provided analogues in the form of OVI. This consolidation would usually be ok, but I don't think Nokia/OVi has nearly enough of strong brand to carry it off.
Remember that this was the 2nd time around for the n-gage brand. What a disaster - If I was in the gaming industry, i'd never invest in a Nokia platfnrom

Old 02-11-2009, 06:21 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
there is one reason alone for the failure of Ngage, lack of high end hardware (3d graphics hardware to be exact). look at the iphone, it has a superb gaming experience because the iphone is top of the line hardware and the games look awesome and smooth gameplay. its not rocket science, i dont know why nokia couldnt figure this out.

they started out looking like they knew what they were doing with the n95 and n82 having 3d graphics, then they just stopped.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 AM

wshwe is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down OVI will also fail

OVI will fail for the same reasons that N-Gage failed. To succeed OVI must be available and work the same on most Nokia phones. Nokia will be unable to do this.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I know of not one single person who bought a phone because it came with a silly virtual platform for playing games.

With N-Gage you could run a game on your phone, but you had to jump through stupid N-Gage hoops to start it.

Without N-Gage you can start the game from an icon just like any other app. What is the point of N-Gage?

Getting rid of a silly overhead is a very sensible thing. The 9 people in the world who believe they want N-Gage aren't going to be a problem.

They can look somewhere else for a phone that wraps its games in a silly virtual system. They won't find one.

---------

Spot on! Personally, I'm glad N-Gage is coming to an end. Ultimately, N-Gage caused more headaches than what is was worth.

Also, the main reason for Ovi, was that Nokia just had too many services. With Ovi, all of Nokia's services will be combined.

The Ovi Store, while still in its infancy, has a lot of potential.

I reckon Ovi will be make or break for Nokia.