All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 PM

raid517 is on a distinguished road
Which case for N95?

Hi I bought this case and it is really surprisingly good - and is exceptionally well made for the money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3688&rd=1&rd=1

However it has one potentially unsettling flaw, in that the main latch (or flap) covering it contains a really very powerful magnet - so powerful in fact that you can stick it to a fridge with the N95 inside it and it will stay there very securely for an almost indefinite period of time. The magnet also however has the unfortunate side effect that every time I put the N95 in the case, it causes it to open the 'Gallery View' (I don't mean the photo and video gallery, I mean the application gallery).

Well anyway the thing is that this can be a bit of a problem - as one of the main things I got the N95 for was for a small hand held GPS device that could act as a city guide when I do a mini European tour later this year.

The way I had it figured is I would have the N95 in the pouch and I would have a bluetooth headset (hopefully something discrete - and not one of those big crazy brightly lit things I see some people wearing). in my ear so that I could listen 'hands free' to navigation instructions when walking. (Terribly geeky I know, but there we are). Basically I just wanted an easy way to find my way around without being a typical ignorant Brit and having to stop and ask people (in English) directions to get anywhere. (I have a Holux 32 Channel Bluetooth GPS receiver, so having the phone slider closed and inside a pouch isn't an issue).

Well anyway as I said, the problem is that when I start CoPilot, or TomTom or whatever and then put the phone in the pouch, this will immediately cause the phone to close the GPS application and go into the (application) gallery view.

So my little plan at this time doesn't seem to be shaping up too well.

Can anyone recommend a decent case that hopefully exposes all of the main ports and that can stay very securely on a belt (naturally I don't want to risk loosing my N95) and which doesn't suffer from this problem?

Another problem I have encountered is that I have set TomTom (and my other GPS apps) to dim the backlight when walking in order to conserve power.

However when I do this, when the backlight does become dimmed, this also causes the the phone to become locked and the screensaver to be activated. When this happens, for whatever reason, the GPS functionality/application I am running seems to stop working too - so I must periodically stop to unlock the keys and come out of screensaver mode in order to activate the GPS again.

Is there any way to allow the phone to dim the backlight when using GPS in walking mode, but for it not to lock the keypad, or start the screensaver?

It might seem nitpicking - but it is little things like this that can be very frustrating when trying to put these devices to practical use.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 AM

mrshakeyhandman is on a distinguished road
Looks awful!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:02 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer take care with the magnetised ones...

they screw with the screen orientation settings ..
as reported by another magnetic catch user here.. the solution velcro

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Looks awful!
What does? That case I pointed to?

It is actually extremely, extremely neat. I thought it would be rubbish quality at that price - but I have had worse cases for other gadgets at more than 20x that value.

Quote:
they screw with the screen orientation settings ..
as reported by another magnetic catch user here.. the solution velcro
So yeah, I've thought of that. But the magnets are embedded in the leather in this case. How specifically did they resolve it? I mean with what case - and how did they remove the magnets?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:36 AM

sebringer is on a distinguished road
I am a bit obsessive with respect to cases, I'll usually buy about 5 for each and every phone/PDA I own before finding the right one. So far the N95 case I like the most is actually the cheapest one I've bought.. and thats the N95 Crystal case from mobilefun.co.uk. I thought they were incredibly tacky at first, but I'm amazed by how well designed it is and the fact that everything is still accesible.
Ads

Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Yeah they do seem a bit tacky. I'm sure your right though. But I would probably still prefer something in leather. I got a Krusell case too that reputedly left everything accessible. But that was so flimsy it looked like it would fall apart at the slightest provocation.

The case I got would be fine, if it wasn't for the magnets.

I am not sure how exactly to resolve this though.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Mifls is on a distinguished road
Talking yepeeee

Hi,
Personaly, i used my old phone case, its the Orange SPV M500.
I have tried it the moment i recieved my N95 device and yepeeeeee it fitted in perfect way looks like it's originally made for the N95.
Even more, it's a high end case with a cool finished outlook.
Just type SPV M500 case or cover. It will shows 100's cases. Ignore them all and search for the
ORIGINAL one which it comes together with the phone.
I asked you to search it by self on google because i still do not have the permission to post links LOL.
Good luck wished there

Last edited by Mifls; 11-06-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM

I don't seem to be able to find this original case.

Can you link to it please?

Again anywhere cheap/inexpensive would be most useful.

Old 15-06-2007, 04:51 PM

MST is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebringer View Post
I am a bit obsessive with respect to cases, I'll usually buy about 5 for each and every phone/PDA I own before finding the right one. So far the N95 case I like the most is actually the cheapest one I've bought.. and thats the N95 Crystal case from mobilefun.co.uk. I thought they were incredibly tacky at first, but I'm amazed by how well designed it is and the fact that everything is still accesible.
I agree with you about the crystal cases; both the mobilefun.co.uk and proporta.com versions are of excellent quality and I was amazed at how well they fitted the N95, they're not even apparent until you actually pick up the handset; and even then it only adds a few mm to the form factor.

I can see how people think crystal cases are tacky [as I once did], but I urge everyone to at least give one a try as it's nice to have a case that doesn't detract from the handset's aesthetics, which is, afterall, why a lot of people opt to purchase particular handsets.

Old 17-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Logan1981 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid517 View Post
Hi I bought this case and it is really surprisingly good - and is exceptionally well made for the money.

However it has one potentially unsettling flaw, in that the main latch (or flap) covering it contains a really very powerful magnet - so powerful in fact that you can stick it to a fridge with the N95 inside it and it will stay there very securely for an almost indefinite period of time. The magnet also however has the unfortunate side effect that every time I put the N95 in the case, it causes it to open the 'Gallery View' (I don't mean the photo and video gallery, I mean the application gallery).

Well anyway the thing is that this can be a bit of a problem - as one of the main things I got the N95 for was for a small hand held GPS device that could act as a city guide when I do a mini European tour later this year.

The way I had it figured is I would have the N95 in the pouch and I would have a bluetooth headset (hopefully something discrete - and not one of those big crazy brightly lit things I see some people wearing). in my ear so that I could listen 'hands free' to navigation instructions when walking. (Terribly geeky I know, but there we are). Basically I just wanted an easy way to find my way around without being a typical ignorant Brit and having to stop and ask people (in English) directions to get anywhere. (I have a Holux 32 Channel Bluetooth GPS receiver, so having the phone slider closed and inside a pouch isn't an issue).

Well anyway as I said, the problem is that when I start CoPilot, or TomTom or whatever and then put the phone in the pouch, this will immediately cause the phone to close the GPS application and go into the (application) gallery view.

So my little plan at this time doesn't seem to be shaping up too well.

Can anyone recommend a decent case that hopefully exposes all of the main ports and that can stay very securely on a belt (naturally I don't want to risk loosing my N95) and which doesn't suffer from this problem?

Another problem I have encountered is that I have set TomTom (and my other GPS apps) to dim the backlight when walking in order to conserve power.

However when I do this, when the backlight does become dimmed, this also causes the the phone to become locked and the screensaver to be activated. When this happens, for whatever reason, the GPS functionality/application I am running seems to stop working too - so I must periodically stop to unlock the keys and come out of screensaver mode in order to activate the GPS again.

Is there any way to allow the phone to dim the backlight when using GPS in walking mode, but for it not to lock the keypad, or start the screensaver?

It might seem nitpicking - but it is little things like this that can be very frustrating when trying to put these devices to practical use.
I had the exact same issue, with a slightly different case, though it looks like they came from the same production line.

My solution was rather crude, but effective none the less.

With a small sharp craft knife, I cut the two circular magnets from the flap (from the underneath) making a + section (two cuts, one horizontal and one vertical). Gently peeled back the four resulting 'corners' and levered out the circular magnets.

I repeated the above step for the two magnets in the pouch half, making the incisions on the inside.

I then applied a spot of PVA glue to the two areas on the inside of the pouch and pressed the cut pieces back down firmly for a few minutes, these dried nicely.

I then cut four small pieces of velcro and PVA glued them onto the case, using two pieces to cover the incisions in the flap.

As I say, crude, but effective. I've struggled to find a better case myself. This cheap and cheerful one is perfect.

Photo enclosed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17062007003.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	3680  

Old 17-06-2007, 07:35 PM

clive1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MST View Post
I can see how people think crystal cases are tacky [as I once did], but I urge everyone to at least give one a try as it's nice to have a case that doesn't detract from the handset's aesthetics, which is, afterall, why a lot of people opt to purchase particular handsets.
i tried one and it cracked and fell off within a week!

Old 20-06-2007, 05:36 AM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

I had always used Krusell cases but the one i bought for my N93 didn't leave the pop port exposed so was pretty useless really and i then discovered PDAir cases. I have now used their cases for a N93, E61 and now my N95 they come in 2 styles in leather Book or Flip style or they even do an aluminium case if you feel you need ultimate protection. They are made from a really nice good quality leather IMO much nicer than the Krusell and you can even get a car suction mount that the case just attaches to and IMO this is also of great quality. Just search E-Bay and you should be able to find them.

Marc

Old 22-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmann View Post
Hi all,

I had always used Krusell cases but the one i bought for my N93 didn't leave the pop port exposed so was pretty useless really and i then discovered PDAir cases. I have now used their cases for a N93, E61 and now my N95 they come in 2 styles in leather Book or Flip style or they even do an aluminium case if you feel you need ultimate protection. They are made from a really nice good quality leather IMO much nicer than the Krusell and you can even get a car suction mount that the case just attaches to and IMO this is also of great quality. Just search E-Bay and you should be able to find them.

Marc
Does the PDAir case's magnet interfere with the N95 screen?

Thanks

Old 23-06-2007, 06:39 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
@Logan1981

Not as far as i am aware, i have experienced no problems at all.

Marc

Old 26-06-2007, 07:02 PM

Finally found a good quality, pouch style case with belt loops.

Krusell Horizon XS-Wide.

Perfect for what I wanted. The magnet is strong enough to keep the flap shut, but not strong enough to interfere with the N95 screen I was glad to find.

Even leaves the headphone jack accessible (depending what way you put the phone in the pouch obviously). The N95 fits snug too, almost as if it were tailored for it!