All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #16  
Old 28-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why are people talking about "loyal customers" ? Loyal customers in this market are going to be the tiny minority. Most customers are walk up and buy what suits them with whatever promotion is on.

I have a Nokia, if a phone from another manufactuer suited me better then I would buy it. These are just phone makers, not hairdressers.
It is because some people are in such deep denial that they are wrong that they are scraping the barrel for a negative take on these positive results. There's always one twat.

  #17  
Old 28-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Canberra
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Nokia obviously have a clever strategy that goes far beyond the knowledge of the keyboard brave armchair evangelists who would have you believe that Nokia are doomed because they don't build a phone that they personally want.

  #18  
Old 28-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Pedro Alves

"Nokia obviously have a clever strategy that goes far beyond the knowledge of the keyboard brave armchair evangelists who would have you believe that Nokia are doomed because they don't build a phone that they personally want."

Bullseye!

  #19  
Old 28-01-2010, 05:12 PM
RogerPodacter RogerPodacter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cali, USA
Posts: 773
RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
for all the people bashing the Nseries like the n97, remember, the only thing nokia has to do is give the n97 double RAM and a faster next generation CPU, and that thing suddenly turns into a powerhouse top-notch device. the n97 form factor is excellent, and the new n97 mini build quality is excellent. so its not like nokia is so far away that its impossible for them to turn things around in the high end Nseries. just 2 little things will make all the difference, cpu and ram.

  #20  
Old 28-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Mr Mark Mr Mark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 88
Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffmonster View Post
You are in denial of the jarring truth. Smartphone sector will grow.Why didn't anyone notice the steep fall of the Nseries sales, well, they used to be Nokia's crown jewels before, don't you agree.
And? It seems that people still buy Nokia smartphones.

Quote:
By loyal customers,I don't mean people who purchase Numbered/Xpress Music devices, The crowd is of those people who purchase Nokia 'premium' 500$ smartphones, phones like (N95,N82 and the like)
And the X6 CWM. Incidentally, hardly anyone pays '$500' for a Nokia phone on the bais that they come free with a contract. Most Nokia smartphone customers don't care if it's got an 'N' an 'E' or a numbe ron it.

*Pop*

That was the sound of your argument imploding.

Quote:
and mod the hell out of them. Nokia released such a device, the N900, but at 800USD and a brick form factor, it is not the one to own, it just does not cut it.
Wrong price. Subjective argument. Sorry, that doesn't cut it.

Quote:
Moreover,companies always tell the upside in press releases, otherwise, they are bound to lose share holders.
Such as increased share, EPS and ASP? Did you even think before you typed that?

Quote:
I have no interest in Nokia's overall growth, it is just so monotonous now, they are the bigwigs in the phone market,atleast in the EU,Asia etc and posting they made profit is like posting Michael Schumacher won the F1 race.
Then why are you posting here? Quite clearly you DO have an interest, you just appear to utterly wrong.

Quote:
They will make profit, the thing of interest is by selling WHAT type of devices, which will help prospective buyers get an idea of Nokia's forte and decide on a smartphone company that meets their needs
So, let's try this again...

Nokia, who do not sell an appreciable volume of smartphones in the US where growth is strong, still manage to increase global share by 5%. Does this mean:

a) More people are buying Nokia smartphones than last quarter.
b) Some load of tosh that you're going to pull out of your rear end.

  #21  
Old 28-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
wait till U8500 comes out with dual core A9 cortex which is under development and it will blow away the competetion

  #22  
Old 28-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniox View Post
N900. I got mine for 349 here in the UK.
I have a credit card right here now and when you tell me where you got the N900 for that price, I will buy one without delay.

  #23  
Old 28-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
for all the people bashing the Nseries like the n97, remember, the only thing nokia has to do is give the n97 double RAM and a faster next generation CPU, and that thing suddenly turns into a powerhouse top-notch device. the n97 form factor is excellent, and the new n97 mini build quality is excellent. so its not like nokia is so far away that its impossible for them to turn things around in the high end Nseries. just 2 little things will make all the difference, cpu and ram.
The N97i. Nokia used to do that all the time. People stopped buying some phones because they were waiting for the i version.

  #24  
Old 28-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Nemoi Nemoi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 89
Nemoi is on a distinguished road
Interesting bit about almost 10 million touchscreen smartphones. That means that Nokia has also surpassed apple (8.7 million iphones) in that category.

What is really strange is the media bias and what that might do in the long term. Today, media in germany was full of iPad-stories, mostly written by tech enthusiats. If they reported on Nokia's gains, however, it appeared in the business section written by chart analysts. All of this gives people the impression that apple is the prime rules, which there are not - at least yet.

  #25  
Old 28-01-2010, 06:38 PM
KPOM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
This was a great quarter for Nokia, and there's no denying that. However, let's not get carried away here and declare that all is well. They clearly are selling more lower-end phones (look at the 'numbered' phones vs. N-Series). While their average selling price has stabilized, it is still lower than a year ago. What's happening is that the "dumb phone" market is being supplanted, slowly but surely, by the smartphone. It's no surprise. Even today's feature phones are more powerful than the smartphones of 2003. Nokia has the pieces of the puzzle in place, but they need to get it together and keep it together if they want to challenge in the high-end again. Symbian^4 and Maemo 6 can't get here quickly enough. Ovi Maps is now a "free" feature, so Ovi is still in need of a coherent strategy to generate software revenue. Plus, iPad creates a new question for Nokia. Should they or shouldn't they make an effort at this market?
Ads

  #26  
Old 28-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Steve_R's Avatar
Steve_R Steve_R is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Warwickshire, England
Posts: 262
Steve_R is on a distinguished road
I'm not too sharp with numbers, but am I missing something here?

Net Sales down 19.2% from 2008.

Operating Profit down 75% from 2008.

Operating margin was 10% in 2008, and then down to 3% in 2009.

How are these figures good?

Preparing to be corrected......
__________________
M'Blog - http://thenokianetwork.com/

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

  #27  
Old 28-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I'm not too sharp with numbers, but am I missing something here?

Net Sales down 19.2% from 2008.

Operating Profit down 75% from 2008.

Operating margin was 10% in 2008, and then down to 3% in 2009.

How are these figures good?

Preparing to be corrected......

"The results are significantly ahead of market expectations,"

Just read it abolve the same as the rest of us.

  #28  
Old 28-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Rafe's Avatar
Rafe Rafe is offline
Founder / Chief
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sussex
Posts: 6,084
Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I'm not too sharp with numbers, but am I missing something here?

Net Sales down 19.2% from 2008.

Operating Profit down 75% from 2008.

Operating margin was 10% in 2008, and then down to 3% in 2009.

How are these figures good?

Preparing to be corrected......
Yes if you look at yearly figures you can see some of the numbers you quote. In the good context we were talking about quarterly figures. The yearly figures are down (mainly) because of performance in Q1-3, not Q4.

The story focused on Q4 (we've covered Q1, 2 and 3 previsouly). The big thing that happened in 2009 as a whole was the recession / global economic turn down. It did catch the end of 2008 (notably Q4, which, incidentally is why the YoY figures for the quarter are good), but the effect was felt in the first half of 2009. There's also things like the Q3 2009 write down of NSN.

Side note: Sales are down - yes - this is mainly due to the reduced ASP of phones (71 to 63), which itself is caused by price pressure and increased proportion of lower cost handsets. However the crucial point is that margins (the money Nokia makes in profit per phone) is up this quarter. This is the figure that tends to affect the share price.

So are the yearly figures good or bad? I think you probably need to compare these numbers with other companies, then you might have some context. e.g. Motorola / Sony Ericsson / Samsung etc.

And as noted these result are good in their context. They beat expectations. As OPK noted the economic situation is still fragile so interesting times ahead.
__________________
Remember: The search command is your friend.
Feedback wanted: PM, email or post with your suggestions, complaints, feedback.

  #29  
Old 28-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Nokia

O.k the sales might be picking up from the mid-range Nokia mobiles,but we want to see more outstanding mobiles from Nokia in the mobile camera market ,since the N95 boost,all we get it 5 mega-pixel camera mobiles an then when they tried to upgrade further all Nokia did was to use one of there old mobiles the N85 an upgraded it,wish was a embarassing idea from Nokia,O.k there are trying to compete in the Touch Screen market nowdays ,but not everyone like touch screen mobiles .so hope in 2010 we do see something more outstanding from Nokia,an still use there Best mobile to date the N95 8gb,but i want to see something more outstanding now from Nokia an hope we get in soon

  #30  
Old 29-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
No worries, upcoming device that combines the built of E series with features and functions of N series is coming soon. N*-00, runs on Symbian^3, 12MP Carl Zeiss Cam, HD video recording, capacitive touch screen, anodized aluminum all round casing and thin.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
2009, market, nokia, results, share, smartphone, world

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[HOT][NEW] N80 RM-92 IE APAC PR v15.00 SW4.0632.0.38 juato4 Nokia N80 176 25-04-2007 03:19 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:15 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy