All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Spotify music service launches Symbian S60 client

Spotify has arrived on Symbian - the music service du jour is now complementing its Android and iPhone offering with a Symbian S60 client. Available only to premium subscription members (£9.99 a month), the client will let you stream music on request to your handset, or you can download music to listen to when you are offline and out of coverage (ie on the London Underground). [NB. comment thread broken and awaiting Rafe attention]

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Gabeuk is on a distinguished road
Spotify on N95 8GB

App runs great on my N95 8GB. 10/month is a little rich. A fiver seems more attractive.

But good to see Symbian 3rd support from Spotify. My device is almost two years old and is still a *great* smartphone.

Old 23-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Unregistered

*Great sound quality... only wish it had an EQ.

*No problems doing other stuff at the same time. Web surfing for instance works perfect... no stuttering.

* Unfortunately it doesn't work well on Nokia E90. Graphics get distorted when switching between screens.

Old 23-11-2009, 09:19 PM

PaulyLaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabeuk View Post
10/month is a little rich. A fiver seems more attractive.
I just dont get this! I am completely mystified how everyone doesnt see this as HUGE news! 10 is a little rich? I am amazed it is not more!

Everyone, just stop and think .. for a tenner a month you get every track you could pretty much ever imagine AND you can automatically sync it across multiple devices AND you can listen offline anywhere, any time!

Its WAY better than Comes With Music because it is CROSS PLATFORM and isnt dependent on one copy of the MP3. I create a playlist and it is available to me everywhere I have spotify, at home, at the office, on my phone, on my ipod.

I just created a playlist on the desktop version of Spotify on my laptop, within literally a second or so it had syncronised on my N97 and iPod touch and was downloading the tracks for offline listening. Its amazing!

OK, so it is DRM. But so what? I can listen to the music cross platform so what is the problem. Ok, if I stop paying I lose access to the music. But so what? Its cheap enough that it represents value for money AND other similar services will spring up which will drive competitive pricing.

Honestly, why would I bother buying MP3s when I have millions and millions of tracks available to me any time I want?

I seriously must be really thick or something because no one seems that fussed about this whereas I think this is the biggest app to hit Symbian so far!

BTW This isnt a go at you btw Gabeuk, I know you get it :-)

Old 24-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Know what you mean, but there are loads of Symbian 3rd and 5th users out here that might spring for a fiver a month, or maybe 3 would be better.

10/month won't attract this demographic in a big way.

Old 26-11-2009, 10:08 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabeuk View Post
Know what you mean, but there are loads of Symbian 3rd and 5th users out here that might spring for a fiver a month, or maybe 3 would be better.

10/month won't attract this demographic in a big way.
You're a blatant troll, aren't you?

3 per month would practically be the same as giving away music.

Do you seriously expect to get all the music you could possibly want for free? If all music was gratis, then there would be no incentive for many people to actually produce music, it would result in the total fall of the music industry. Although some would say that it deserves to fail, as it seems to be totally incapable of dealing with the change from physical media to digital distribution.

Old 26-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Just being realistic. If you think the mass of N95/variants and 5800 users is going to spend a tenner a month on Spotify, then dream on.

Your contention that Spotify offers all the music you could want is off-target as well. It is additive to other sources. There's an abundance of music around -- that's not the selling point anymore.

Last.fm premium is something like 3 a month.

Old 27-11-2009, 12:23 AM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
It's pretty cool the way you create a playlist on the pc or laptop and it's there on your phone without you doing anything. Really impressed with that - how do they do it? Plus it's easy to get the track onto the phone for offline listening. Impressed again.

However, no Bob Dylan!!!!!! Not so impressed.

(In the interests of accuracy there is Bob Dylan but only where his songs are part of compilation albums, so pretty limited.)

Last edited by Williamoni; 27-11-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Old 27-11-2009, 10:22 AM

ebo is on a distinguished road
For me the relevant question at the moment is, is there enough more value in the Premium version compared to the free, supposedly ad funded version. I would say NO there isn't, because I don't see that many realistic times and places when to take advantage of the mobile client on my S60 phone or iPod touch.

However, if (or more likely, WHEN) Spotify decides to end the free service or make significant limitations to it, the decision will be a lot easier. I will definitely want to continue using and pay about 10 EUR / month for that.

Last edited by ebo; 27-11-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: corrected typos

Old 27-11-2009, 10:35 AM

It's a fine app, thou. Sync, offline mode, etc, all work well. I'd like it to scrobble to Last.fm as the desk top client does. That seems like a notable omission.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 PM

phoneguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
You're a blatant troll, aren't you?

3 per month would practically be the same as giving away music.

Do you seriously expect to get all the music you could possibly want for free? If all music was gratis, then there would be no incentive for many people to actually produce music, it would result in the total fall of the music industry. Although some would say that it deserves to fail, as it seems to be totally incapable of dealing with the change from physical media to digital distribution.
No, 3 isn't like giving it away. Mobbler does it for that. Spotify is pricing itself out of the Symbian market. That's more like iPhone app pricing. You're not going to find many people willing to cough up 10 a month to get what we can get for 3.

If you don't want to pay anything there are still free good services like moodio and tunin.fm. Not perfect but they are free.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM

stacapcap is on a distinguished road
I accept with information:
I just created a playlist on the desktop version of Spotify on my laptop, within literally a second or so it had syncronised on my N97 and iPod touch and was downloading the tracks for offline listening. Its amazing!

OK, so it is DRM. But so what? I can listen to the music cross platform so what is the problem. Ok, if I stop paying I lose access to the music. But so what? Its cheap enough that it represents value for money AND other similar services will spring up which will drive competitive pricing.
Ads