All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Contact Manager 'DreamConnect' now for S60 5th Edition

Following the success of its UIQ version, DreamSpring has launched DreamConnect, its all-in Contact Manager, for S60 5th Edition. There are quotes from the press release below, but essentially you get hierarchical sub-categories, business card display and 'KeyMatch', which replaces the virtual keyboard on 5th edition smartphones with a finger friendly, compact quick-matching keypad.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 PM

garbleart is on a distinguished road
It insists that you "register" before you can even download a trial.
Next....

Old 10-10-2009, 02:08 AM

lithgow is on a distinguished road
We do take customer service seriously, and it's hard to support anonymous people. That registration helps us make the customer experience a lot better, and we're always trying to improve it.

BTW, registration is as simple as possible, and doesn't require extraneous info (although we're happy to get it) such as your address, etc.

-Malcolm.

Last edited by lithgow; 10-10-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:08 AM

brrip is on a distinguished road
I have no problems with signing up, but the part where i closed the window was when I read IMEI. How does knowing my IMEI help you serve me better?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrip View Post
I have no problems with signing up, but the part where i closed the window was when I read IMEI. How does knowing my IMEI help you serve me better?
When you purchase something from DreamSpring your IMEI is used to generate the license key. We require the IMEI at login to streamline the purchase process. If someone has absolutely no intention of purchasing the product, entering that at signup won't help them, I admit. But if they have no intention of ever purchasing the product, it's a puzzle why they would be trialling it in the first place.

It's perfectly OK to enter an invalid IMEI, by the way -- just make sure you fix that before any purchase.

Would anyone read all this if we put it in the account registration page? (That's a serious question, I'm not trying to criticise anyone.)

-Malcolm.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:37 AM

mjbrown is on a distinguished road
DreamConnect appears to only be available for the Nokia X6, 5800, 5330, N97 and N97 Mini. I would like to try/potentailly buy for my E71 - perhaps Malcom could let us know when/if the E71 and other S60 3rd addition phones will be supported?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbrown View Post
DreamConnect appears to only be available for the Nokia X6, 5800, 5330, N97 and N97 Mini. I would like to try/potentailly buy for my E71 - perhaps Malcom could let us know when/if the E71 and other S60 3rd addition phones will be supported?
Sure. FP2 should be available in a few days, and FP1 (which, thanks to a capability slip-up in one of Nokia's libraries, needs full signing) will also be available in a few days.

The E71 is an FP1 phone, BTW, and one of the devices we use personally.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 AM
daClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithgow View Post
But if they have no intention of ever purchasing the product, it's a puzzle why they would be trialling it in the first place.
That's a lame excuse. I've trialled a lot of software just to find out that it just doesn't fit my needs in the end. I also trialled DreamConnect on my N97 to find out that I won't use it.

P.S: Anyone can download the trial version from online stores like e.g. http://handheld.softpedia.com WITHOUT having to enter the IMEI.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daClaus View Post
That's a lame excuse. I've trialled a lot of software just to find out that it just doesn't fit my needs in the end. I also trialled DreamConnect on my N97 to find out that I won't use it.
I'm not making excuses, lame or otherwise -- I'm simply attempting to explain how things work on our site. I'm not sure why you're so hostile about it.

I've trialled a lot of software without purchasing it, too. Which is why I think making a trial available is so important, and why we do so.

Quote:
P.S: Anyone can download the trial version from online stores like e.g. http://handheld.softpedia.com WITHOUT having to enter the IMEI.
Indeed. But don't expect any pre or post-sales support from any of those guys.
Ads

Old 13-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

lurker, me

must admit it definitely puts me off. I'd prefer to just be able to work the software without anyone's help or interference, including the vendors. All information should be just there. perhaps you should loosen your grip a little! Also the price seems a little rich.. sounds like nice ideas in a nice package though. If only I could gather the inertia to sign up... bah nevermind

Old 28-10-2009, 07:58 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
I was also put off by having to register.

Also how long does the licence last for? I have changed my mobile twice this year and may change it again around Christmas time.