All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-05-2008, 02:33 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
TomTom now working with internal GPS (hack)

Hi all,

There now a way to get TomTom 6 working with the Internal GPS unit with N95 and N82. See this thread...

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=72596

Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 PM

srizvi1 is on a distinguished road
What works better TomTom or Garmin? That's the last thing I need to get on my my wife's N82, a good Turn by Turn navi software to work with the N82's internal GPS (well that and a good emulator and some good games - pref a final fantasy game or something a little easier to play on a phone).

Anyone know any good coupon codes or anything to make the price of these software apps cheaper?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
My recommendation is either Garmin, if your not bothered by the outdated looking interface, or Copilot live 7.

Either one of these is easily good enough getting you to your destination.

Other people have other preferances, I suspect you will hear route66 popup.

As for emulator, picodrive is by far the best you can get (megadrive games).

Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
My recommendation is either Garmin, if your not bothered by the outdated looking interface, or Copilot live 7.

Either one of these is easily good enough getting you to your destination.

Other people have other preferances, I suspect you will hear route66 popup.

As for emulator, picodrive is by far the best you can get (megadrive games).
Thanks, any idea on price for either Garmin or Copilot?

And I'll see if I can find anything about picodrive out there too. If you have any helpful advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for the response.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Not really, Id just say look at amazon, or perhaps Garmins own shop.

Id suggest Garmin, because that way you can be sure of getting the latest maps. Which is highly recommended if you live in the UK, some past maps had issues with roundabouts.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11413

Europe is around 90, and Uk is around 65. (Note on the site it EXCLUDES VAT). Its probably tempting to buy one of the cracked versions, but trust me, if you dont get the latest maps, for the UK its more or less useless.

Copilot 7 (dont get 6, its not very good) http://www.alk.eu.com/buynow/buy_authoriseddealers.asp

Is quite a bit more, around 130 for europe. Cant be bothered to look for the UK version at the moment.

Have a look at the links in my sig if your unsure which to buy.

As for picodrive, its a great, free app that uses megadrive ROMs. Which can be found from various places on the net. Its against copyright, so cant post links here, but its easy to find via google.

Its not as if you would be costing the games makers money, its not as if you would buy the megadrive game.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srizvi1 View Post
What works better TomTom or Garmin?
Or Route 66 2008 / V8 - 59.99 Euros for GB & Ireland install CD, or another 20 Euros for Europe. Very cool rendering of maps, auto zoom to detail close to turns, roundabouts etc.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks guys. A lot of feedback here...

dez_borders, I'll take a look at Route 66 2008 (but you only mention it for Europe - would there be something for the U.S. too?) I'm actually in the U.S. so I need the best option for here (and maybe Canada too for that once a year trip).

bartmanekul, I'll look into your reviews for what looks best to me. Same thing as what was said to dez_borders though - you referred specifically to the U.K. Would I be ok with this software in the states?

Thanks for the further picodrive info too. Looking forward to getting this both for my N76 and my wife's N82.

Last edited by srizvi1; 06-06-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Should be fine, although I dont know prices for the US versions. Best thing is go to the websites I gave, and choose whichever version you need.

Garmin do free program updates (the latest is .80, downloadable from their site). Its the latest maps you have to watch out for. Im not sure what the latest US ones are, you could fire off an email to Garmin/Copilot/Route66 etc to find out.

As long as you get the right maps, it should perform just the same.

Worth noting that each person has a preferance to GPS software, one will find faults where others wont. So looking at more than one review is probably a good idea. Especially think about what features you would like. For example, I highly prize Garmins ability to send peerpoints to another Garmin users phone.

This means that I can send either my current or saved location to someone else running Garmin XT via text. So If Im stuck in the rear end of nowhere, I can send a peerpoint to my girlfriend to come and pick me up. And it will be able to navigate her straight there.

I always bang on about the peerpoints thing, but thats because Im so amazed no-on else has done it. Its just so damn useful. Im currently converting as many as my family to Garmin as I can, so in an emergency no-one gets lost.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 06-06-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Old 22-06-2008, 02:59 PM

readbmr is on a distinguished road
Hi any more help please with the internal gps and tomtom?

Hi can anybody give me any detailed instructions on how to get the tomtom 6.02 working with the internal gps on a nokia n82 black with latest firmware? i have actually installed the necessary programmes but my tomtom is still having trouble finding the built in internal gps !!! Any help please on this as i cant wait to get it all working properly and hope this is not a hoax that everybody is saying tomtom now working with internal gps !!!

Hope to hear from anybody who can help me and regards from Brian

Old 24-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srizvi1 View Post
Thanks guys. A lot of feedback here...

dez_borders, I'll take a look at Route 66 2008 (but you only mention it for Europe - would there be something for the U.S. too?) I'm actually in the U.S. so I need the best option for here (and maybe Canada too for that once a year trip).

bartmanekul, I'll look into your reviews for what looks best to me. Same thing as what was said to dez_borders though - you referred specifically to the U.K. Would I be ok with this software in the states?

Thanks for the further picodrive info too. Looking forward to getting this both for my N76 and my wife's N82.
Sorry for my delay in responding, but yes US maps exist - visit 66.com for a full list of products which might suit you.