All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Poll: The N95 8gb is over 60% more expensive than the classic - is it worth it?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
The N95 8gb is over 60% more expensive than the classic - is it worth it?

Old 15-04-2008, 02:43 AM

leoni1980 is on a distinguished road
N95 8gb - I just didn't like it....here's why

I like phones. I like gadgets generally but I like phones because every one is different. Now when the N95 classic came out I HAD to have it. I got it: it was glitchy and annoying; I persevered for a while but in the end I gave up with it and ended up using a T-Mobile Ameo.

I gave the N95 to my Fiance.

Months later, after ousting my albatross of an Ameo I decided to buy an N95 8gb: it was newer and looked great. It felt great in the hand and had "more RAM" and a bigger screen - noticeably so. But within days I started to stumble across one or two problems and have since taken it back and swapped it back for an N95 which - with the latest firmware update - is for me a wiser investment than the 8gb version.

I'm also £170 better off.

Here's my reasoning:

* my n95 classic came (perhaps by accident!) with an 8gb Sandisk SDHC card. access and data transferral with USB is as fast as the N95 8gb, however with a card reader transferral is lightning quick - this option of course is not available on the 8gb model. 8gb cards are available here for only £32 with free postage, meaning that if storage is your only concern then the incredible price difference between the two phones should drive you to the classic.

*the screen size difference is noticeable but negates the extra battery capacity. I saw no improvement to the standby and usage time of the 8gb N95 compared to its classic counterpart, and despite its larger size the N95 8gb's resolution is still only 320 by 240 meaning no extra screen real-estate for web browsing, just marginally bigger fonts.

*the extra weight and chunkiness of the N95 8gb compared to the classic is very noticable to me, and was not desirable.

*the extra RAM is needless for most people in real-world use.

My N95 8gb rarely crashed or slowed down with the latest firmware; the N95 classic rarely crashes or slows down with the latest firmware. Both handsets have demand paging and both allow as many applications as will be left open in general use to work without a hitch.
The extra RAM of the 8gb N95 does not improve video performance using Coreplayer, nor prevent the stuttering A2DP through my Sony Ericsson DSC970 earphones. It does not make embedded Youtube play any better nor improve the Safari browser's load times.

Verdict?

Extra RAM is nice but unnecessary.

*sound quality - some report better, louder sound with the 8gb model. i hadn't noticed much difference, but then I don't really care all that much - they're both nice and clear, and sound quality through earphones is indistinguishable between the two models.

*N95 8gb scuffs too easily - mine was showing wear within two weeks. screen is flush which prevents dust from embedding under the casing, but also leaves it more vulnerable to scratches and breakage.

*The obvious one - NO LENS COVER.

So there you are.

I wouldn't personally go back to an N95 8gb, mainly because or the memory card issue - and I'm not disgruntled n95 classic owner, jealous of this 'upgrade'. Actually I owned the 8gb - but it just wasn't worth the money for me.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else downgraded their N95 8gb after failing to be impressed.....

Old 15-04-2008, 06:04 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
well i'm just the opposite. i upgraded from my n95-3 to the n95 8GB, and this phone is just so much better. i love the larger screen, and its noticeable. the battery i think is not affected much by the larger screen. when you factor in that when you answer a call, the screen goes dim anyway. and with the phone locked all day and the screensaver on, the extra battery just makes it last longer. i love the all black, and the flush upper portion and the top slide is even with the sides of the phone. god its so much better and satisfied my OCD. plus i like to wipe the screen, and now that the face is totally flat, its just better. the 8GB parts can all be easily replaced, the front screen cover, back back, the lens cover. all can be purchased from cnn.cn. my n95-3 had no lens cover, and i had it for 6 months wiht some minor scratches on the anti refletive coating. pics still looked perfect. long live the 8GB!! lol

Old 15-04-2008, 09:41 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I think the only way to properly test out real life standby time on both models is for someone to give up the use if their N95 and N95 8Gb for a couple of days, have them both charged up fully and both on their newest firmware, and then just leave them together to see how they do.

Leoni1980: You're in a position to try this out, if you and your fiancée don't mind doing without your phones for a couple of days

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 15-04-2008, 03:40 PM

davyjones is on a distinguished road
Only problem with n95, not tested n95-8gb), doesn't matter if its just between these two, generally. is the battery and noisy sound when listening to music or somthin. in my opinion.
Otherwise its an amazing phone, but still not very excited about it.
Why not combine a reliable battery and music quality as ex. Sony Ericsson is the only one to achieve that requirement.
To n95, and the perfect phone is born.
still just dreams, so we have to live with this. its a shitty world we live in, but just accept the reality.

Old 15-04-2008, 08:46 PM

sturgeon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjones View Post
Only problem with n95, not tested n95-8gb), doesn't matter if its just between these two, generally. is the battery and noisy sound when listening to music or somthin. in my opinion.
Otherwise its an amazing phone, but still not very excited about it.
Why not combine a reliable battery and music quality as ex. Sony Ericsson is the only one to achieve that requirement.
To n95, and the perfect phone is born.
still just dreams, so we have to live with this. its a shitty world we live in, but just accept the reality.
You seem to be one of a very small minority with these problems davy. After v21 firmware most folk seem to be happy with their battery life, and there seem to be more folk praising the sound quality than otherwise.

Might be worth updating your firmware - or consulting a NSC ?

Cheers,

s.

Old 16-04-2008, 06:06 AM

davyjones is on a distinguished road
ohno, its just that my demands for a phone is just as a phone really should be like.
But sure, battery last for a few days, on standby, but if if start using it. The obvious is about the happen.
And if you have good hearing, and want to hear music and nothing else, listen with headphones on 10-20% volume and the background noise will be same loud.
and people only praising this firmware on the phone couse the battery show full bars for sucha amazing long time.
and suddenly goes down faster then ever.
I got v.21

Old 16-04-2008, 08:35 AM

Casperuk is on a distinguished road
i admit that the sound is something that annoys me, but then again, i am using the crappy 90db capped nokia headphones.

had a set with my psp which were too limited to 90db and once i got a set that was limited the difference was noticeable.
Ads

Old 17-04-2008, 02:49 AM

colcasa is on a distinguished road
hi all. I must say thx 4 the guidance u've provided in the past. (couldn't transfer a pic now i can write vids) leoni1980 i have 2 disagree this is my 1st smartphone n its probably the simplest thing i.ve used. (i'm a total twit when it comes to computers)

Old 18-04-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I think the only way to properly test out real life standby time on both models is for someone to give up the use if their N95 and N95 8Gb for a couple of days, have them both charged up fully and both on their newest firmware, and then just leave them together to see how they do.

Leoni1980: You're in a position to try this out, if you and your fiancée don't mind doing without your phones for a couple of days
unfortunately i'm not in a position to test standby on both models anymore as both me and my fiance now just have the standard n95.
One thing that I have noticed is how much lighter my pocket feels - after having an n95 8gb for a number of weeks it does seem strange holding the standard one - makes you realise what a great design the classic actually has.

I still don't think there's anything close to the N95/n95 8gb even now. I'm due an upgrade on my contract soon and there really is nothing else I'm interested in - this has never been the case with me before.

Maybe I'll just hold out for the N96.

Colcasa - where did I say that the N95 was hard to use?? I'm a little confused as to your point.

Old 18-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
right, Ive clearly not woke up because Ive just ticked the wrong vote... I would never choose built in mem over expandable... not for any phone at this point.

Old 18-04-2008, 09:13 PM

Dr Tran is on a distinguished road
As a current N95-1 owner, I can say that the extra RAM is really desired for me.

There are many applications I want to just leave in the background that I can't on the N95-1.

I'm getting the black N82 as soon as Amazon has it in stock.
Lots of RAM, lens cover, xenon.

I don't think the memory card is an issue for me. I could get by with just a 4GB card.

Old 18-04-2008, 09:16 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoni1980 View Post
I still don't think there's anything close to the N95/n95 8gb even now. I'm due an upgrade on my contract soon and there really is nothing else I'm interested in - this has never been the case with me before.

Maybe I'll just hold out for the N96.

I have to agree I have always been looking for the next model on the horizon but since I got my N95 in April 07, I can't see anything else that comes close.

As for the N96, the 16Gb internal memory is the only thing that remotely impresses me, and I am sure 16Gb cards for the N95 classic will be out before the N96. I also read somewhere that the built in Digital TV chip in the N96 is for European TV and will not work with UK FreeView. If that's true, the N96 will just be an N95-8Gb with twice the memory for UK owners.

I will stick with my N95 classic for another 12 months (once the Thetford main UK NSC returns mine from being repaired - screen fault 1 day after handsets 1st birthday!)

Last edited by dez_borders; 18-04-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Old 21-04-2008, 10:10 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
... I would never choose built in mem over expandable... not for any phone at this point.
Same with me... and between N95, or N95 8Gb, well, none... I prefer N82! Lighter , good battery, RAM, external card (8Gb one), lower price, without moving parts and above all, the FLASH, that gives proper inside photos.

Old 21-04-2008, 12:06 PM

I never leave too many apps running in the background as I was always led to believe that this affects battery life. Applications start up quickly anyway - though i do usually leave opera mini running in the background. To upgrade to an N95 8gb just so you can leave tens of applications in the background seems nonsensical to me as it is no doubt going to affect your battery and how long do applications really take to start up anyway? I'd happily take removable, fast intenal memory over extra RAM which just isn't necessary.

The N82 does sound good - and I'd love a zenon flash, but those buttons just don't look comfy to me! I love texting on N95s and I'd be interested to know (Steve!) if it's anywhere near as nice to text on an N82.

I also watch things like Curb Your Enthusiasm on my N95 with Coreplayer and think the noticeably smaller screen would not be as enjoyable. The slightly bigger screen of the N95 8gb was great for watching epsiodes on but it took ages to copy individual episodes over with Nokia's sluggish cable transfer: I can copy a whole series over to my N95 classic zippety quick now with a cardreader.

Old 21-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
I like the words nonsensical and zippety