All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-03-2008, 08:29 PM

D3lit3 is on a distinguished road
Beer YOUR OPINION WILL BUY THE PHONE...Nokia N82 or N95 8Gb?!

Ok this is getting frustrating . I've spent about a week browsing half the web for the tiniest details about both phones and I still don't know which one to get.

First of all, let me explain what I'll use the phone for and my whole life situation .

I'm 16, I live in Moscow, Russia, I like to hang out with my friends and go to the mall...basically what every teen likes to do.

I need a phone for obvious reasons.

1. To call my friends, family, etc. when I'm not at home.

2. To take a pic or record a small vid here and there if something interesting happens.

3. The GPS might come in handy sometime

4. To share files etc. with friends and people.

5. To watch a movie or TV episode when I'm in a car or in the subway.

6. To show off a little. Hey, it doesn't hurt .

Well that's pretty much why. Anyway, moving on.

I am completely stumped on which phone to buy. And I need your help. Out of the reasons listed above, which phone do you think is suited for me?

Personally I like the whole Nokia n95 8GB thing going on. That thing is sexeh. And I kinda prefer sliders because it just looks cool. Well I was just about to buy the n95 8g when my friend told me about the N82. At first I wasn't interested because he said it has a candy bar design and I don't really like candy bar designs. But I took a look on the Nokia site anyway.

And that's where my dilemma started. Well at first it didn't really attract me, I mean TBH it's not gonna win a beauty contest or anything, and it most likely won't get any love from strangers when they see it. But then I looked at the specs...and the camera .

Well I kind of fell in love with it after that even though it is butt-fugly (IMO). But then I found out the screen is noticeably smaller than the n95 8gb's screen. Also I read somewhere that the speakers were quieter than the n95's.

So I made a list of pros and cons for each phone.

Nokia N95 8GB

+ Big bright 2.8" screen

+ 8 GB preloaded so I don't have to go out and buy a card

+ Sleek sexy design

+ Loud speakers

- No lens shutter protection (pretty big deal for me)
- No Xenon flash ()

Nokia N82

+ Xenon flash = great photos

+ Lens shutter protection

+ Slightly faster than the N95 8GB

- Smaller screen than that of the N95 8GB
- Suckier speakers than those of the N95 (?)

I need you guys here to answer some final questions for me that will help me decide which phone to buy in the next 2-3 weeks.

1. Does the 0.4" larger screen size of the N95 make a noticeable difference when watching a movie or using the GPS compared to the N82?

2. Does the N82 really not have the 'wow' factor of the N95? For N82 users, when you're on the bus or subway etc., do people notice it at all? Compared to the N95 of course.

Also, will this change when the black N82 comes out? Will the N82 be more sexy?

3. Does the Xenon flash really make THAT much of a difference in medium lighted areas?

4. Are the N95 speakers really (a lot) louder than those of the N82?

5. And finally, which phone do you think suits me best ?

Please help, thanks.

Old 27-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
1. yes.... every bit counts.
2. N95/N82 wow factor?? Probably equal, tho to you, theres a clear winner.
3. Hell yes! The N82 camera would if you're into taking loads of decent pics, sway which phone you choose, because the N95's just isnt up to it unless its well lit and very still.
4. At the end of the day, its a phone. How loud you need it to be?? I wouldnt have said they are LOADS more louder...
5. I think the N95, cause thats the one you sound like you want...

I think theres a couple of other users who have asked the same question, and no doubt you will find a few that have gone from N95 to N82 in the N82 forum... so you 'could' ask how they feel the experience is??

Old 27-03-2008, 09:27 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
1. Does the 0.4" larger screen size of the N95 make a noticeable difference when watching a movie or using the GPS compared to the N82?

IMO the bigger the screen, the easier it is to watch a film. Peeps on here will argue that the .2" difference in the screens on the N95-1 and N95-8Gb matters quite a lot, but I don't think it does. However the .4" difference between the N82 and N95-8Gb very well could. If you're going to watch short videos like episodes of a TV series then it might not matter too much, but it probably would if you're watching a 2+ hours film. With this in mind, you would be better off with the N95-8Gb.

Something else to consider as well is that if you convert your own films using SUPER then they'll probably be ~500Mb each if you want good quality. That means you could fit up to 16 films on the N95-8Gb. That's quite a lot but this would leave no room for anything else like music and photos. The N82 supports microSD cards, which means you could theoretically get up to 32Gb of storage space on your phone (8Gb is the largest you can get now but 12/16Gb cards are coming out in the next few months, with 32Gb cards no doubt coming out next year).

If you'll be changing your films fairly often, you might be better off with the N82 since you can take the card out and put it in a card reader on your PC for faster transfers. Transferring large files to any N95 over USB is a dizzyingly slow affair.

2. Does the N82 really not have the 'wow' factor of the N95? For N82 users, when you're on the bus or subway etc., do people notice it at all? Compared to the N95 of course. Also, will this change when the black N82 comes out? Will the N82 be more sexy?

I much prefer the look of the black N82, just as I think the N95-8Gb looks better than a regular N95. If you're after looks then a black N82 might be the way to go. Lots of people have N95's right now so the sight of an N82 would be a nice change to some.

3. Does the Xenon flash really make THAT much of a difference in medium lighted areas?

Many people say it's much better, and it probably is. I've found the flash on the N95 to be good enough in most situations. However, I've had a quick look at some examples of N82 photos (Click here to see them) and they don't seem to be all that brilliant. Maybe the person taking the shots didn't have the photo quality set to it's highest setting but the article these were taken from was to show examples of N82 photos, so you'd imagine the writer would've set everything to it's best setting.

In the end, the Xenon flash is only going to make a difference in poorly lit conditions. With normal to quite low lit conditions, you'll be fine with the N95-8Gb. Quality of the picture is important as well and judging from the photos in the article, I'd go for the N95-8Gb.

4. Are the N95 speakers really (a lot) louder than those of the N82?

I couldn't comment on this as I haven't heard the speakers on the N82. Nonetheless I find that even the best of mobile phones have bad speakers built into them. They always sound hissy and tinny IMO, and it pisses me off no end when kids are playing their R&B and House music at the back of the bus. I wouldn't mind so much if the sound quality was better.

5. And finally, which phone do you think suits me best ?

The N82 is different to those out there because lots of people have the N95 in its various guises. The N95-8Gb, from what I can tell, wins hands down for photo quality, and has a slightly bigger screen which will probably make it easier for watching long films, and it will be a little smaller in your pocket because it's a slider phone. However it won't be long before you can fit more films/music/photos on an N82 because bigger memory cards are coming out soon. Also the N82 is cheaper than the N95-8Gb and would still be cheaper if you got an 8Gb or 12Gb microSD card for it. You might be on a budget so this could be an important factor to consider as well.

I've probably inadvertently made things a lot harder for you but hopefully now you have all the extra information you need to make a decision. Generally, if you're happy with a smaller screen and are happy with the quality of pictures it takes, you'd be better off with the N82. However if a bigger screen and better quality photos are more important to you than storage space expansion and faster transfer speeds, go for the N95-8Gb.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 27-03-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Old 28-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
also check out

AAS N82 review from Rafe

and

AAS N95 review by Steve

and just google N95 8GB N82 photo comparisons

What more do you need!

Last edited by kontraband; 28-03-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Old 28-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
And heres the black N82. Much better looking then the N95 8GB imo.

Old 28-03-2008, 06:13 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

This question comes up so much....

N95 v N95 8GB vN82

Personally I believe that the the devices are so so similar that you will never get a conclusive answer from asking people.
I recommend going into a phone shop, taking your time and playing with both devices to decide which 1 suits you. It is all down to personal preference.

Better still normally you have 7-14 days to return items you buy online or if you take out a contract. I reckon it would take a couple of days with each phone to know which 1 suits you best.

For me I had an N95 then N95 8GB and now an N82 and theres nothing at all I miss about the N95.

Hope this helps
Ads

Old 28-03-2008, 06:33 PM

chungdae is on a distinguished road
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n95_8gb-review-188.php
They are fairly unbiased.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM

aferg01 is on a distinguished road
I've had a N95 8GB gor 2 weeks now, and, although I'm happy with it, I'd swap anyone for a N82 if they want to!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3lit3 View Post
Nokia N82

+ Xenon flash = great photos

+ Lens shutter protection
Technically, the Xenon flash and lens cover are the deciding factors.

Apart from that, one is a slider phone and the other is not.