All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv179 View Post
Notice how the issue of underpowered hardware was completely ignored, only software was discussed here......
What could he have said or done about it?

"Oh, yes, it's underpowered according to some so we plan to give them a free upgrade to our future device."?

Old 23-02-2010, 08:30 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
The same Nokia who gave us the N97's v1.0 firmware also gave us, 5 months later, the X6's v1.0 firmware. Which makes incredibly hard to believe that they've learned any lesson from the N97.

Old 23-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv179 View Post
Then Nokia should not rip off people with the high prices if it doesn't have the hardware inside!!!

The extra ooomph doesn't only help in games.
Do you know what "rip off" means?

Dude, just don't by it if you feel "it doesn't have the hardware inside".

Old 23-02-2010, 08:33 PM

ecsw is on a distinguished road
Admit the problem is the first step toward success.

I am too, little regretted that I go to N97 from E71.
If the firmware V2.1 didn't come out, I would have sold my N97 already.

Please make Symbian^3 a better multimedia phone (video/audio) and open up the support for Multi-Language.

It's actually very simply for Nokia. Just allow the NSU update to choose which language to add on. It will definitely win back a lot of customers, guaranteed.

Old 23-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Jimmy1

The damage is done.

It doesn't matter how "successful" the N97 fiasco was for Nokia in terms of their margins and profit recuperation.

What does matter is that the problems with the N97, and the continuing issues with the equally buggy E72, has damaged the Nokia name with many prospective (and past) consumers, perhaps irreparably. It's damaged them on a Toyota-failing-brake-pads level.

In order to turn things around in the higher-end market, they're going to have to release a device so stellar, i.e. another 'Jesus Phone', that makes the Nexus One and the coming iPhone 4.0 look like yesterday's news. Not an easy job, IMO.

And if they don't do it by the end of this year, the company should probably remain satisfied in profiting from lower end handsets in emerging markets, because they can kiss more developed markets goodbye.

Old 23-02-2010, 09:55 PM

chatty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
It doesn't matter how "successful" the N97 fiasco was for Nokia in terms of their margins and profit recuperation.

What does matter is that the problems with the N97, and the continuing issues with the equally buggy E72, has damaged the Nokia name with many prospective (and past) consumers, perhaps irreparably. It's damaged them on a Toyota-failing-brake-pads level.

In order to turn things around in the higher-end market, they're going to have to release a device so stellar, i.e. another 'Jesus Phone', that makes the Nexus One and the coming iPhone 4.0 look like yesterday's news. Not an easy job, IMO.

And if they don't do it by the end of this year, the company should probably remain satisfied in profiting from lower end handsets in emerging markets, because they can kiss more developed markets goodbye.
I agree that nokia will have to make a Jesus phone to gain back some support. When Nokia released the N95 it was a great phone with amazing features for the time it was released. But since then nothing much has happened at nokia(or from other manufactures in terms of hardware). Hardware hasn't improved that much and the software practically hasn't changed a bit! Nokia are gonna have to come up with something amazing or to another phone company I go!
I've also decided that now with any phone I get I will wait a few months after release and search around forums like this before I commit to buying one! Something I really should have done before buying this...

Old 23-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Unregistered

I don't believe that if there is a proven good handset on sale that people are so moronic that they wouldn't buy it because the same manufacturer were selling a crap device a year ago. Some people are shouting about how great the droid/milestone is, yet Motorola have been selling shite for years.

And the smartphone market is going to develop from new customers that Nokia are attracting with low cost Symbian phones, these are people will trade up. These are people who have no knowledge of, nor care tuppence about underpowered hardware and buggy early release firmware.

There is no irreperable damage here, except amongst a few geeks. Geeks do not a market make.
Ads

Old 23-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Jimmy1

at papers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't believe that if there is a proven good handset on sale that people are so moronic that they wouldn't buy it because the same manufacturer were selling a crap device a year ago. Some people are shouting about how great the droid/milestone is, yet Motorola have been selling shite for years.

And the smartphone market is going to develop from new customers that Nokia are attracting with low cost Symbian phones, these are people will trade up. These are people who have no knowledge of, nor care tuppence about underpowered hardware and buggy early release firmware.

There is no irreperable damage here, except amongst a few geeks. Geeks do not a market make.
Your comment makes my point. Nokia's remaining options for growth are in emerging markets.

Year after year of shoddy release, culminating in the twin disasters of the N97 and E72, damaged their reputation in most of Europe. North America? Well, they've been dead a long time there and are never coming back.

Old 23-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Angry N97 Memory Problems

I'm sorry, but the N97 "Experience" has left me cold, never again Nokia. Not only is the device under-powered, the software being churned out for it is on the whole, rubbish.
Than there is the question of the lack of Customer Service, it's bad enough not being able to understand the person on the other end of a phone line, because they don't speak (or understand) English the way Aussies do, but even when I emailed them, I got a "form" response that did not address one point of the complaint I had taken so long to compose in the simplest terms.
If I contact "Nokia Australia" I expect to be speaking to an Australian, not someone who speak another form of English that is completely undecipherable to us!
It will be a Windows Mobile 7 phone for me next methinks!
Colin J Richardson
Australia

Old 23-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Your comment makes my point. Nokia's remaining options for growth are in emerging markets.

Year after year of shoddy release, culminating in the twin disasters of the N97 and E72, damaged their reputation in most of Europe. North America? Well, they've been dead a long time there and are never coming back.
I wasn't thinking of emerging markets ("emerging" is an interesting term for markets that are already bigger than western markets).

Those entry level Symbian touch phones are being sold in Europe, to grab new smartphone customers, ex dumb-phone users and kids. These new customers will move up to more advanced Nokia phones if they are good.

I would be very disappointed if people were so idiot so as to harbour a prejudice based on one particular period. If a phone is good then it's good regardless of what happened last year or the year before.

I completely fail to see how Motorola selling crap products for years and then coming back with the Droid makes your point at all. My point is that a few anal geeks are the people that are complaining about N97, the VAST majority of the market is unaffected. You can go to any consumer forum to see that there are very different discussions.

Old 23-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Unregistered

Who the **** tries to deal with customer services of any tech gadget company? They've been a dead loss for years. That's not just a Nokia thing, that's an industry sector thing - in fact it's the companies being pragmatic.

The last time I bothered trying to contact any of these companies was.....never. No point.

Old 23-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

But do they know what they really need to do?

It's comforting to hear that they know they had huge problems, and they really did care about fixing them. But the more important question is what does the future bring? This idea that one hardware family exists for the software is pure crap. Symbian^3 needs to do what HTC does, and load the phone with great hardware. 512MB of RAM, 1 GHz processors, and PLENTY of phone memory, I say give the flagships at least 1GB, everybody else, 512MB free.

Old 24-02-2010, 06:41 AM

symbianst3ph3n is on a distinguished road
What about the hardware?? like low ram and c drive memory. also i wonder if t hey could make the cpu faster?? such a bad quality device. would we get compensation then

Old 24-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbianst3ph3n View Post
What about the hardware?? like low ram and c drive memory. also i wonder if t hey could make the cpu faster?? such a bad quality device. would we get compensation then
Compensation ? LOL! People want compensation for their own bad buying decisions, people have consumer rights which allow them to return items if they are not fit for the purpose, or not of merchantable quality. Possibly these memory errors mean that the device is returnable, and many people did return them.

However, if you brought a piece of crap (should have done your research) and then kept it then why should anyone be compensated?

Old 24-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

Nokia since 1997 - no longer

It was the N97 that's made me turn against Nokia. I purchased it last June, a highly anticipated purchase, after owning Nokia phones _exclusively_ since 1997. In those twelve years, I have purchased nine Nokia phones, including the N97, E71, E70, E61, 8260, etc etc...

The N97 was the most expensive phone I had ever purchased, ever. And. It. SUCKED! Okay, sure, compared to my previous phones it was not bad, but all of the issues that have been raised in review after review - the stupid camera cover that scratched the lens, the poor performance of the GPS, the idiotic memory allocation, the constant and ridiculous configuration problems, the hassle getting it to respond to my university's 802.1x wifi system, the poorly performing touchscreen, the tacky keyboard ... It was shockingly bad. By September of last year, I was fed up and angry that this company, which had always produced great phones, had so badly stumbled. Beyond the hardware problems, though, lies a land that Nokia barely understands, and this is why I now utterly, totally, love the phone I have: content.

It wasn't even the hardware problems, you see, that drove me away from the N97. It was the Ovi store. Was it the chaotic menus? The badly screened software? the expensive and poor performance of the few programs I did end up purchasing? the incredibly slow pace of new software? or all of the above?

I now have an iPhone 3gs. It has a few problems, true, but it's got 32gigs of storage, just like the N97. I never have to second-guess what that storage is doing. It immediately connected to my university's wifi system: username, password, and boom. Connected. It has a marvelous touchscreen. Sure, there are issues and relatively minor annoyances, and it would be nice to have an FM transmitter/receiver, but what makes the difference? content.

The iPhone's hardware, you see, is just the tip of an iceberg. Nokia needs to wake up - its absurdly bad Ovi store is not just a revenue-stream failure, it represents the failure of an entire paradigm. The iPhone delivers cheap, good, well-programmed CONTENT. It's not just a phone, but a content-engine. Nokia hasn't just missed the boat or the fleet; it's missed the entire continent of content that the iPhone delivers.

So live and learn: no more Nokia, at least for a long while. Thanks; it's been awesome - well - up to that last thing; you know, the one that was stupidly expensive and, in the end, kinda sucked.

-Richard.