All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-02-2010, 12:46 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Underpowered hardware

Its funny to still see people complain about the underpowered hardware even today on the N97. I find it amusing because why?

Ever since the N97 vs Omnia debate first started with the release of both phone's specifications, I have always said that the extra hardware in the Omnia will only go to waste - because there will be little to no support of it from a commercial perspective. The biggest problem that the entire Symbian community faces is that the baseline for Symbian is still at a level developed over 5 years ago (S60v3).

Even IF the N97 came with a Gigahertz processor with enough 3D capabilities to match modern video cards - it would mean nothing because you have the garbage software companies still churning out Java shite that does nothing for the hardware. It happened for the N95, It happened for the OMNIA i8910 and will keep repeating itself because software companies favour majority marketshare (lowest common denominator).. they cant give a stuff about the extra effort for the higher end hardware as they do not gain the same Return on Investment there.

Symbian^3 is a refreshing change as it will not only mean a new operating system - but also a fresh platform standard to run by. At least it will be competitive to iphone (which has the lowest common denominator to be the original 1G iphone - comparable to the N95).

Flagship Smartphones are only as good as what supports them - the nature of the company or organisations that own the platform and the development work behind it to make the things better:

post sales extra capabilities = happy customer

(this was proven lately by OVI Maps going free)..

Old 23-02-2010, 12:58 PM

illusionado is on a distinguished road
"Quality Control Process"

How about CHINA? Next interview should focus on the dust issues and hardware stuff on some eseries and other Nokia products. Basing the thought on www.theprodigalguide.com

Old 23-02-2010, 01:43 PM

shiv179 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Its funny to still see people complain about the underpowered hardware even today on the N97. I find it amusing because why?

Ever since the N97 vs Omnia debate first started with the release of both phone's specifications, I have always said that the extra hardware in the Omnia will only go to waste - because there will be little to no support of it from a commercial perspective. The biggest problem that the entire Symbian community faces is that the baseline for Symbian is still at a level developed over 5 years ago (S60v3).

Even IF the N97 came with a Gigahertz processor with enough 3D capabilities to match modern video cards - it would mean nothing because you have the garbage software companies still churning out Java shite that does nothing for the hardware. It happened for the N95, It happened for the OMNIA i8910 and will keep repeating itself because software companies favour majority marketshare (lowest common denominator).. they cant give a stuff about the extra effort for the higher end hardware as they do not gain the same Return on Investment there.

Symbian^3 is a refreshing change as it will not only mean a new operating system - but also a fresh platform standard to run by. At least it will be competitive to iphone (which has the lowest common denominator to be the original 1G iphone - comparable to the N95).

Flagship Smartphones are only as good as what supports them - the nature of the company or organisations that own the platform and the development work behind it to make the things better:

post sales extra capabilities = happy customer

(this was proven lately by OVI Maps going free)..
Then Nokia should not rip off people with the high prices if it doesn't have the hardware inside!!!

The extra ooomph doesn't only help in games.

Old 23-02-2010, 02:36 PM
E71er

The N97 Mini broke my heart.

I had it all tricked out, kept it for a week, but in the end, I just found it totally unacceptable that I had to even worry about the RAM on a high-end flagship device! Then I saw that the NAM model was still not getting the latest FW via OTA and was doubly frustrated. (What's with that Mr. Vanjoki?) Yet, I doubt that even the latest FW could recover enough RAM to make a practical difference. Seeing your OS teeter on the edge with only 12MB of RAM is stupid, and that's just with Opera Mobile and Email running! Arbitrarily quitting applications in the background shouldn't even be considered a solution.

That said, I love still S60 because no other OS out there gives you the "old fashioned" freedom to do as much with the hardware. I hope they keep it that way with S^3, because I need to carry, edit and work with (100s of) files locally, record calls (I'm a journalist), tether out of the box, sync USB drive, etc.

I'm so desperate that I would jump on the Vivaz - but then I'd lose Ovi store... Is Nokia really serious about perpetuating S60 development?

Old 23-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
I had the N97 for about two months and it was an experience I hope I never have to go through again in my life. Torture!

Better late than never to admit to failure but the damage has already been done.

I got burned by 5th edition and I have moved on (and I suspect many many others) to another platform.

Old 23-02-2010, 04:02 PM

breathlesstao is on a distinguished road
Question Huuh?

"Like I said, that was a surprise to us. It was not expected."
...'scuse me? What exactly came as an unexpected surprise? I can't believe with all the testing and everything they supposedly do before releasing a product, they didn't notice how inadequate the harware was for what all the phone's supposed to be capable of? It's not something that "slips", for sanity's sake! It's the overall general user experience and usability of the device, how on earth could that "slip"?
And yeah, well, I don't think admitting what a tremendous success it has been in terms of units sold and profit made is appropriate here. Hullo? Yeah the software is, by now, tested by "normal people" - but us, these "normal people" have paid a fortune to participate in a beta test. Beta testers volunteer for enthusiasm or because they're paid for doing the job; they don't spend their own money to be able to be part of something like this.

Old 23-02-2010, 04:27 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Arthur, is that you, Stefan?

Old 23-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Reading all the people complaining and wanting something from Nokia because they are not happy with the N97 they bought for 700 euros really does make me laugh.

I have just got to ask the question, why did they go and pay 700 euros for a phone they don't like??????

Did they pay 700 euros for something sight unseen without checking it out first? If they did then they can't blame Nokia, they only have themselves to blame. Idiots. There is no point complaining about Nokia if you are stupid enough to go and do a thing like that.

There's one born every minute.

Old 23-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
@unregistered: They presumaly bought it because they had trust in the brand 'Nokia'. The dangerous thing in the N97 fiasco is therefore that the N97 commercial success translates in a lot of unhappy customers who now associate Nokia with buggy software, insufficient hardware and an overall bad experience. A lot of them will now think twice before buying a Nokia or Symbian phone again.

Old 23-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

Stop talking bullshit

Look, the launch of the N97 was a disaster. Nobody is denying that, and luckily Nokia knows this as well.

As for the N97 in it's current incarnation with the latest firmware 2.1 and/or the N97Mini - it is ACTUALLY quite a DECENT device!

I'd much rather stick with my N97 than buy a HTC Hero, or iPhone 3G, for approx. the same price for numerous reasons, among those are:

- 32 GB storage, which is freakin' genius.
- FM Transmitter - use that a LOT, when driving back and forth to work.
- Free Navigation (which I use occasionally)
- Browser is perhaps a little slow or clumiser compared to iPhone, BUT VASTLY better in terms things it does.
- AND I also installed SkyFire browser, which is even more amazing, since it support both Flash AND Silverlight, meaning that I can net-radios and stuff from PC sites. Give me ONE Android or Apple device that can do that? Guess not, huh?
- Screen is bigger and has better resolution.
- Podcasting fucking rocks on the N97. Work flawlessly.
- Gravity is propably the best Twitter app there is, period.
- The camera is freakin' AEONS ahead of ANYTHING HTC or Apple, fact (so cut the crap..).
- The C: drive space issue on the N97-classic is a non-issue, once you figure it out that the E: drive is the way to go. Otherwise go for the N97Mini, and everything is fine.

Actually the ONLY thing that I miss from time to time is more RAM and a slightly faster CPU (most prominent when it comes to games), which is EXACTLY what will be adressed in the coming devices from Nokia et.al.. Symbian Foundation's minimum reference platform is actually a Coretex A8 CPU with OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics based piece of hardware....so, again...cut the crap.
Ads

Old 23-02-2010, 05:22 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
@Nemoi + 1

A point I've been trying to convey for a long time - it would almost have been better if it had been a commercial failure because as you say it could just translate into more users who've had a chance to compare Nokia flagship with other flagships often to it's detriment.

@all - Not trying to say the N97 doesn't work at all (although it does seem to have it's moments when it can seem like it - JOKE ) in fact it may well be the best (feature wise) Nokia - certainly N series , ever. But, and here's the rub, it didn't represent a good value buy when compared to the iPhone 3GS or HTC Hero both comparable devices available at very similar market time slots regardless of whether you hate those systems or not really. If it had been priced at only £100 more than the 5800 it's flaws would have been far more excusable, even acceptable but when pitched at the price it was it had to play on the grown-ups playing field.

I do agree with Nemoi that this flawed experience for some/many will give them pause for thought before buying another Nokia flagship which is to the detriment of Nokia.

Old 23-02-2010, 06:05 PM

ebo is on a distinguished road
How about the lens scratching issues and running out of RAM, where these covered at all?

In any case, Anssi Vanjoki showed great opennes by admiting there have been at least these software problems.

Let's just hope Nokia will stop cutting corners with too small memory, weak CPUs and over-cheap plastic design in their future high-end smartphones. Symbian^3 will not solve these problems.

Last edited by ebo; 23-02-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typos

Old 23-02-2010, 07:04 PM

cochambre is on a distinguished road
Most mobile companies are expecting better sales results this year. Nokia won't get much of it due to their huge mistakes with their last flagship. I sincerely regret convincing my brother and my co-worker into buying a N97 as I did. I doubt whether I will be buying another Nokia/Symbian phone in the future. Maybe I will. But certainly I won't be taking other people into Nokia/Symbian's "end-user beta-testing nightmare" for sure. If I was unsure of changing to another mobile platform before, I'm more than ready now.

Old 23-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoi View Post
@unregistered: They presumaly bought it because they had trust in the brand 'Nokia'. The dangerous thing in the N97 fiasco is therefore that the N97 commercial success translates in a lot of unhappy customers who now associate Nokia with buggy software, insufficient hardware and an overall bad experience. A lot of them will now think twice before buying a Nokia or Symbian phone again.
Well personally I wouldn't touch any new handset from any manufacturer until it's been out there and shaken down and I've had the thing on trial and played with it. I also wait for the inevitable price drop.

If people have had an experience that will make them think twice, then good. Hopefully they have learned something and are a little less naive. This "thinking twice" thing should be applied to a lot of other things too.

Old 23-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Unregistered

yes, n97 hardware platform was way too old.
434mhz arm11 was way too old. to slow. no 3d acceleration.
128mb ram. really?

they called it a flagship........

really crap really.

hopefully nokia dont get stuck with trying to save a few bucks again on hardware. they really need to give it their all, because players like htc, sony, moto, samsung, aren't shy to produce phones with the best internals.