All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Video: Anssi Vanjoki on the N97 and Symbian^3

At Mobile World Congress, I sat down with Anssi Vanjoki, EVP of Markets at Nokia, to talk about the Nokia N97. The highly anticipated device was released last summer and while it has been a commercial success for Nokia, it has been subject to a great deal of criticism from consumers for its software and underpowered hardware.
With the release of version 20 and 21 of the firmware, many of the software issues have been resolved. In the video, Anssi Vanjoki acknowledges the issues and explains how Nokia has learnt important lessons, which have been fed into the process of creating Symbian^3 and Symbian^3 devices. He says that "we have taken the learnings and when Symbian^3 comes out you can rest assured it will be perfect".

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

How will Nokia deal with N97. Will it release more firmware updates?

Old 23-02-2010, 10:54 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Interesting stuff - am I picking up on this correctly or is Mr Vanjoki giving preview of fairly major (by sounds of it) new firmware for N97 or is this just a reference to the release of V2.1?

Old 23-02-2010, 10:56 AM

shiv179 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Poor hardware ignored, again

Notice how the issue of underpowered hardware was completely ignored, only software was discussed here......

Old 23-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

Impressed!

Honestly.....That was the nicest interview i have experienced from ANY executive! No BS, no excuses, nothing, he admitted to everything and explained openly and with reasoning. It is very very important that they communicate (to Nokia fans like me) in this way, giving us hope that they truly are willing to solve the problems, and really are evolving to bring out the best products for the consumer. This makes me really excited about the next coming months, as i am more than ready for the next flagship!:-)

Just a side note, i am partial in many ways, but i have to say that i am happy that Nokia is Finnish as Finns are really down-to-earth and honest people, it is difficult for me to imagine e.g. a large US corporation talk this openly about a product failure/problem (without giving lame excuses). Nevertheless, it all feels good now! Godspeed Nokia

Old 23-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The software discussion was in reference to v20 and v21 - those already released.

And hardware was discussed (perhaps not as obvisouly). It's important to understand that arond software releases you get hardware families (i.e. there's a [sometimes multiple ones] hardware family for each software release) - this is one of the reasons you can make platform phones more cheaply - it significantly cuts the cost of integration.

Quote:
Moreover they say, with regards to Symbian^1 / Symbian^1 family hardware platform, that "we stretched for too long, something which should not have been stretched".
To be fair, to my mind, that doesn't really excuse the internal C drive issues, but I think when most people talk under powered they are making reference to the processors and RAM, which is effectively fixed for the duration of a hardware family (and yes there is more to it than that, but... to keeping things simple).

Old 23-02-2010, 11:05 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Be interesting to see if they do any favours for N97 owners to compensate them for their "disappointing user experiences" and "unacceptable delay" in fixing it.

It's great to know they've learned lessons and are taking them forward into SF^3 devices (I sooooo hope they have because the backlash will be frightening otherwise) but it's a little frustrating to have be part of one of the largest Beta testing Guinea Pigs programme and paid for the pleasure. i.e. what's in it for me and the device I'm stuck with for another 12mths+?
Ads

Old 23-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Unregistered

Was the release of nokia ovi maps linked to the downfall of the N97 ?

Old 23-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

Guys, next time you have opportunity to ask something about Symbian ask if Nokia will allow OS upgrades in the future. It would be good for consumers that they could get the latest OS if their hardware is capable.

Old 23-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
Be interesting to see if they do any favours for N97 owners to compensate them for their "disappointing user experiences" and "unacceptable delay" in fixing it.

It's great to know they've learned lessons and are taking them forward into SF^3 devices (I sooooo hope they have because the backlash will be frightening otherwise) but it's a little frustrating to have be part of one of the largest Beta testing Guinea Pigs programme and paid for the pleasure. i.e. what's in it for me and the device I'm stuck with for another 12mths+?
I think the software update to v20 / v21 is it (in terms of a fix). Yes it is not perfect - but it a massive improvement over the original firmware. Annoying to be a guinea big - absolutely. Is it ideal? No, but I'd rather they be honest about it. It's clear that the strength of reaction was a suprise and I think that more than anything is what they need to take away.

And yes we'll have to wait and see on S^3 devices. I think people should be realistic though. For example it is a new platfrom and updates will be needed - the difference is the technology and processes will be in place to provide them. And remember S^3 is a step on the road to S^4. A bit of common sense about how big companies operate is also necessary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Was the release of nokia ovi maps linked to the downfall of the N97 ?
No, this has been on the cards for a long time (as you'll see in another upcoming interview). Timing is probably around a desire to lead the market (i.e. navigation was always heading towards free...)

Old 23-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Guys, next time you have opportunity to ask something about Symbian ask if Nokia will allow OS upgrades in the future. It would be good for consumers that they could get the latest OS if their hardware is capable.
I did ask about this (in another interview), and while there was not a direct answer it is defintely more likely now than it ever was before. I think there maybe an exception S^3 to S^4... but beyond that... At this stage there's no way you would get a concrete committment on that.

Old 23-02-2010, 11:52 AM

Wildsau is on a distinguished road
Well, the only _honest_ answer regarding the N97 is "Well, we fucked it up". Nice to see that at least one Nokia representative is admitting this more or less.

What I don't understand is: When will companies learn that "repairing" a bad product takes much, much more effort that selling a good one. With a working product you can deliver firmware updates with new functions and concentrate on new products, not (have to) deliver firmware updates that make a already sold product usable.

And - as it has already been mentioned - NO firmware update will ever solve hardware issues.

The product designer team of the N97 really should be punished for their stupid decision regarding C-drive and RAM size.

The N97 could have been a real winner, now it's not better than mediocre.

Quote:
I really doubt that this will ever happen. The E71 was the perfect device to upgrade as FP2 was already available in a branded AT&T version, but it was not given to the rest of E71 users.
Nokia sells devices. If you have the chance to upgrade your device to the latest OS version, why should you buy a new device (if you're not a freak).

Last edited by Wildsau; 23-02-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Old 23-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Al3xandr3 is on a distinguished road
Actually it was N97 who made me lose hope with Nokia. I used to be a Nokia fan (now I'm an admirer, I guess) but the expectations I had with N97 and then the delivery was very different.

N97 marked Nokia in a lot of ways and most of them not positive...

I truly hope that Nokia turns around again, but knowing how things are in Finland (painfully slow) it will take a while unless they start to think way too many years ahead.

See how Android and iPhone are getting the lead in smartphones. It's not just a matter of market share, because it is increasing slowly. with this new trend of smartphones, we are now seeing high-end smartphones and low end smartphones, but they're all considered to the "smartphone" label. And Nokia is the king of low-end smartphones. High end? It's not as strong as it was and it's loosing power by the day. Hopefully S^3 will change it but unless they bring some hardware to match it, it can be another disaster for Nokia. And at acertain point you will have to wonder... how many can they handle..

Old 23-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Gabeuk is on a distinguished road
Hmm. Anssi Vanjoki saying everything will be great next year...

I remember him announcing the N97 at Nokia World 2008. We then had a chance to use prototype devices and it was clearly miles away from what was needed. It eventually launched about a year later...

My mate who has one really likes it though. Maybe price set the expectations too high.

Old 23-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

N97

I did not have to hear what they think about mistakes they made with N97, want to know how and when will they repair the N97? What about 700 euros that we payed for a phone that is low quality ? How will Nokia compensate us? I will give you an answer as well NOWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!