All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-11-2009, 10:12 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
why is the i8910 so underated its my best device of 2009

wow

what a phone :-) how much do i love my samsung omnia hd (i8910) :-) well more then any nokia smartphone that has been released since the n95-1

ive owned many , 6600 , 6680 , 3250 , n70 , n73 , n80 , n81 , n95-1 , n95-2 , n96 , n97 , 5800 , 6220c , n82 , n85 , n86

since the n95 and the n82 and maybe the n96 all my nokia phones have had problems

n97 - gps issues , bad signal , bad camera design and rare replacement parts i had four n97s and gave up in the end

n86 - gps issues same as n97 suffers interference due to no insulating foam behind camera had two of these with the same issues again i gave up

5800 - problem is resolved now but i had two with gaps is fascia which was horrible

n85 - terrible build quality bought one second hand from ebay sold it within 3 days it wobbled and rattled everywhere and felt like it was going to fall to pieces

poor customer service from nokia had left a bad tatse in my mouth , the technolagy was outdated arm 434mhz processors with 128mb ram which was having troubles running symbian

so i looked elsewhere , i wanted symbian so the i8910 caught my eye , i went for it and boy am i glad i did

my omnia hd is 3rd hand and around 6-7 months old but when i opned it , it instantly felt better then any nokia within the last 2-3 years , no creaks , no wobbles , just pure class

this is extended when you switch it on , the screen is amazing seriously the oled screen is so vibrant and colours are so rich and there is such a huge screen to admire and touch

the screen is glass so again when you touch it your senses seem to instantly recognise it with exspensive high quality design , its so nice in the hand , maybe a little large but the slimness makes up for the length

the phone running omap3 core with accelerated graphics and 256mb ram with 5.1 virtual surround dsp chip and strero speakers and high quality integregrated gps this phone is packing some serious hardware and it should not be ignored

for some reason steve seems to hate it , why , iam not sure it pummels any and i mean any nokia s60 smartphone into the ground

samsung have done a better job with s60 then nokia the flagflyers , they have given the device appropiate power for s60v5 it is so much nicer to use then a nokia , it flys through the menus even with transistions switched on , they have improoved the music player , the home screen with side swiping motion and widgets , they have left it a bit more open so you can modify audio and camera settings

alot of people say samsung hasnt supported it , who needs samsung when you have people over at http://forums.samsungi8910omnia.com/ cooking hybrid roms with settings from the n86 camera , pre hacked roms , roms with all the junk removed ,

at the minute iam running the hyperx 1.25 speed rom i have 180mb of ram at boot and 100mb c drive memory avalible , the rom is pre hacked for you , includes n86 libary settings , includes n97 user agent so when surfing web pages see you as the n97 you can even download from ovi , these guys are genius and may even be able to implement n97 full kinetic scrolling

i dont know why this device is so underated

it was rleased 7-8 months ago and is still as powerfull as any phone going into 2010 , it is evenas powerfull as the mighty n900 and iphone yet people have ignored it

samsung have dropped a clanger by making it orange exclusive and not marketing it properley this phone is a beast and iam off to use it as its so enjoyable

tip
install a custom rom for best results from phone from http://forums.samsungi8910omnia.com/

do the audio hack/code to enter settings and adjust audio levels loads of guide just google i8910 audio hack

buy one they are so so good

Old 30-11-2009, 07:26 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
Show me something that actually uses the 3d accelerator.
Adding a laggy, less usable "cover flow" gimmick to the music player does not make it better.
Flashing new roms to a device is not something that should be needed(although I have also loaded this rom onto my i8910 and it is pretty nice. Although the things I have tried to download from ovi store didn't work).
The browser is worse than on the n97. It does not seem to be any faster either.
Java is almost useless.
The podcasting app is broken.
"HD" video really isn't all that good.
Low light photos with flash are all blueish.(still a pretty decent camera)
Alot of the cool apps are only available through the ovi store. Which is a bummer unless you are running a cooked rom.(This is not samsungs fault, but more a problem with symbian in general)
I'd take the n97 any day.( Of course I haven't owned one so I might change my mind after it breaks on me, but if that happened I would not go back to the i8910)
Oh, did I mention that I can't uninstall samsung pc suite because it is already installed(?!).

Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 AM

everestir123 is on a distinguished road
they have given the device appropiate power for s60v5 it is so much nicer to use then a nokia , it flys through the menus even with transistions switched on , they have improoved the music player , the home screen with side swiping motion and widgets.
Ads

Old 14-12-2009, 01:40 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post
Show me something that actually uses the 3d accelerator.
what about sat nav and 3d mapping and map drawing rates , games like quake run better etc

Adding a laggy, less usable "cover flow" gimmick to the music player does not make it better.
have you used an omnia hd the cover flow isnt the olny improovement there are better visulisation another thing that uses the 3d gfx , two styles of music player , better/more audio settings , looks nicer , thats without how much louder the speakers are then 99 percent of the nokias bar the 5800 and the fact that you can access tha audio settings of the rom and turn up the gains etc which makes the phone so loud through the speakers and the headphones that using a nokia s60 is like having the i8910 on half volume or less

Flashing new roms to a device is not something that should be needed(although I have also loaded this rom onto my i8910 and it is pretty nice. Although the things I have tried to download from ovi store didn't work).
The browser is worse than on the n97. It does not seem to be any faster either.
oh cmon mate that silly how many times have you had to flash a nokia phone with new firmware , hyperx support is better then any manufactuer support ok a bit over the top but this month he has released 3 firmware fixes and tweaks to perfect the work he is doing and he is on the verge of enabling kinetic scrolling and the hidden/removed video editor , who knows maybe the fm transmitter will be enabled too he says the hardware is on board for sure on his website

Java is almost useless.
i suggest you check around java is flying now mate all fixed in them custom roms you dont like

The podcasting app is broken.
dont use it that much so cant comment havent heard of any other complaints though

"HD" video really isn't all that good.
but still better then what other people offer and the camera options much outweigh that of any symbian phone from nokia lets not forget the divix and avi playback out of the box which is something nokia s60 5th cant do yet and only just copes through smart movie

Low light photos with flash are all blueish.(still a pretty decent camera)
not in my pictures on latest hyper x firmware can show demos if needed and lets not forget the blue haze on many nokias that needed firmware upgrades , also the single flash is not great you have to be within adequote distance of the object which is quite close

Alot of the cool apps are only available through the ovi store. Which is a bummer unless you are running a cooked rom.(This is not samsungs fault, but more a problem with symbian in general)
install a cooked rom ovi works great as does nokia maps , sports tracker , step counter etc etc it takes 3 mins to install and two clicks of the mouse makes the phone better and can be changed back to any firmware unlike nokia handsets that can only be updated , ive had the phone for about 2-3 weeks and have tryed about 4-5 different roms/firmwares it is so easy to do via the boot loader and hyperx package

I'd take the n97 any day.( Of course I haven't owned one so I might change my mind after it breaks on me, but if that happened I would not go back to the i8910)
ive owned 4 n97s all had 2 major hardware faults out of the box , one worked for a month before the gps stopped working i enjoyed using it for that month , however it is underpowered for symbian s60 5th end of story , 128mb ram and 434mhz processor dont cut it with s60 v5 maybe s60v3 was ok but not on 5th edition with live home screen widgets , all it beats the samsung on is storage memory , qwerty , working fm transmitter , seriously what else does the n97 do better not alot its well over rated and the i8910 underated

Oh, did I mention that I can't uninstall samsung pc suite because it is already installed(?!).

no you didnt but well lets not forget that pc suite took how many years to get where it is , how many phones has nsu bricked over the years , cmon mate nokia gets things badly wrong sometimes , the omnia is what the n95 was to the phone world , it is ahead of its time , 8 months down the line it is still a front leader and running cutting edge technolagy

my arguemnts are obvously in bold mate , you dont really argue many strong points , you seem to have a thing for nokia where i just have a hting for great gadgets and the i8910 defo deserves that tag instead of the flak it takes

it has dnla , gps plus , divix/avi support , better audio , better screen , better speakers , more mods avalible , bettr touch response , better music player , better processor and ram , better graphics , better mic , better build quality , better camera , better video recorder , better photo contacts , swipeable home screen , over the n97 n97mini yet they are touted as great devices and the i8910 as a flop and i cant understand it i really cant

ps
if i had my n97 still i would of bitten your arm off to swap knowing what i know now about this great phone

Last edited by buxz777; 14-12-2009 at 02:01 AM.