All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 AM

Quarks1 is on a distinguished road
Question Nokia N95 8gb Internet Explorer problem!

Hi! I have nokia n95 8gb and let one of my friends use it to surf the net. Now when I try to work on the internet explorer, the connection keeps dropping off. I have checked and it's not my router which is the cause of it. Unfortunately my firewall and antivirus protection was not on while I gave my friend my phone to use. I have scanned the phone and nothing is coming up in the antivirus scan. There seems to be this message that comes up every so often when I am working on internet explorer and it's as following:

"/c:/system/dmgr/1008d39/contents/st.."

I am afraid there might be some malicious file that got downloaded onto my phone. Not too sure as to what is happening. If anyone has experienced a similar problem or can help me with this problem then I would really appreciate the help.

PS: It's definitely some kinda adware or malware or something. It's showing ads now when I try to use the Internet Explorer.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:57 PM

Quarks1 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarks1 View Post
Hi! I have nokia n95 8gb and let one of my friends use it to surf the net. Now when I try to work on the internet explorer, the connection keeps dropping off. I have checked and it's not my router which is the cause of it. Unfortunately my firewall and antivirus protection was not on while I gave my friend my phone to use. I have scanned the phone and nothing is coming up in the antivirus scan. There seems to be this message that comes up every so often when I am working on internet explorer and it's as following:

I am afraid there might be some malicious file that got downloaded onto my phone. Not too sure as to what is happening. If anyone has experienced a similar problem or can help me with this problem then I would really appreciate the help.

PS: It's definitely some kinda adware or malware or something. It's showing ads now when I try to use the Internet Explorer.

So I have been going through my history to find out what pages were opened that day and found out that the file 'st' is automatically downloading only when I open any livejournal page and then it diverts to the '\c:\system\dmgr\...' message. I have downloaded and run the KMS antivirus software but it doesn't pick anything up. All other websites that I visit are fine but when I open livejournal the 'st' file automatically starts downloading and then diverts to the page along with disconnecting from the WLAN.

I have downloaded the y-browser and deleted the respective file from c drive but everytime I try to access livejournal, that file starts up again. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I should try to deal with this? I would really appreciate the help. Cheers!
Ads

Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Reset

Try to reset the device , as virus/malware is very unlikely :
http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...ile-study.html
Probably it's a corrupted/damaged file causing the issue . For reset , see my post here :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021

Have a Backup of your important data like Calendar , Notes and Contacts before doing a Hard Reset . But don't reinstall settings , as it may contain the corruption . Reinstall settings only manually .

BTW : did you try allready a different Browser ? Opera Mini 4.2 or Opera Mini 5 ? Recommended ! Go with your Web (browser) to http://www.m.opera.com/

Regards jApi NL

Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Nokiarghh is on a distinguished road
Angry 10008d39/contents/st - nightmare problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarks1 View Post

---------------------------------------

I have had the same problem since late last year and it's driving me mad. Only happens on certain pages but when it kicks off it drives you loopy. Keeps searching for connection point, then downloading the st file. Once it downloaded seven versions whilst I frantically pressed cancel to no avail. If you open the file it takes you to various adverts. I wish I could sort this out as I'm at the point of chucking my phone against the wall. Not sure if this is relevant, but it's a Nokia E71.

Please help us!