All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Pappasan is on a distinguished road
Proximity sensor function removed from 808!

HI All,

Just wanted to share something with you guys that I discovered.

I sent my 808 off to Nokia repair because I had some pixel defects in the display. When I received the phone again, and performed the latest slew of software updates, I noticed that the screen was not switching off anymore during calls, whilst holding the handset to my ear.

My first response was to contact Nokia support and they advised to send the phone to the repair center again , to have the repair fixed (yeah, that does sound strange, huh?).

I just received my 808 again today, and to my utter dismay, the screen is still not switching off during phone calls!!

I installed the App "AutoHello" which uses the proximity sensor, and this confirmed indeed that the proximity sensor is not functioning as the App no longer works!

I have discovered that whilst in a call, my ear generally is in contact with the touch screen, which effectively blocks any additional input, but this is far from the full functionality (screen deactivated when calling and holding the phone at different angles & full dimming of the screen to save power) that a proximity sensor can offer.

Have any of your experienced the same?

I am running 113.010.1508.C00.01.

It would be great to hear from others who can confirm / deny the issue on their handsets.

I feel cheated.......

Old 19-01-2013, 09:44 PM

monkeyandweasel is on a distinguished road
I have got 113.010.1506.207.02 on my 808.

Proximity sensor is working fine for me.

Old 22-01-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks M&W. I contacted Support on this issue and they assured me that it was not a software issue, but a boo-boo on the side of the repair center (Arvato in Germany).

My phones all boxed up ready to be sent again......I'll keep you all posted on how this goes.

Old 29-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Just got my phone back from the repair center just now. Proximity Sensor is still not working!!

I am concerned that the functionality was broken during the last software update, and Nokia is not communicating this.

The repair center would be EXTREMELY incompetent if this was a hardware/repair issue.

Please share your experiences on this topic......after having lost my phone for over a month now and not having resolution is leaving a very bad taste.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 AM
Banned

RTGDJF is on a distinguished road
Very thank you for your information, look forward to your update again ah

Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Update: Nokia Support contacted me and indicated that it is a HW failure. They are offering me a swap device, which I will receive soon.

I'll keep you posted!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM

mazor is on a distinguished road
good work, a brand new 808 replacement finally. Although how long have you had to wait for Nokia care before they decided to fully replace?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM

HI Mazor, that remains to be seen. I have an edging fear that I will be sent a refurbished device that might have the proximity sensor fixed but might have other issues to it. We'll see about that.

I have sent my device back to the repair center 4 times now: once to have the stuck pixels fixed and 3 more times ping-ponging about this proximity sensor.

I have the following gripes about Nokia Support:

1. The call center is in India (I am assuming), but the repair center is in Germany. The support staff in India seem to have to go back and forth with Germany on how to handle things. This makes getting results slow and does not really give the impression that they can do a lot to help. In spite of this, they did a great to keep me informed and make sure that I did not feel forgotten. Kudos to them for this.

2. The repair center in Germany are extremely incompetent. The fact that I have gotten my handset back 3 times with an obvious defect like a proximity sensor not working means that either they have issues following simple test protocols or they think they can con customers into accepting faulty handsets. What is most peeving about this is that I assumed once that all was fixed and spent an evening reconfiguring and reinstalling only to have to wipe the device later!!

All in all, I have not been able to use my phone for 1,5 months. IMHO, extremely unacceptable by any standards and totally unnecessary had the repair center been more competent.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 PM

absolutely agree with you Pappasan. They really need to get their act together with regards to after sales service!

Sad that you have not had the use of your 808 for such a long time! Hope you got your 808 at a good price, since after the release of the 920 last year, it has seen prices of the Nokia 808 plummet to $400 odd USD.

Although the 808 may become the cult phone for symbian. It certainly has not held it's retail value, sadly the longer you wait to use your 808, the cheaper the handset will become. That is why I have shot over 3000 shots in just over a month! Make the most of technology today.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 AM

The legacy continues.

I received another 808 yesterday. I was happy, because I had only sent my defective handset in on Friday. So this meant that they dispatched a new handset without waiting for mine to come in.

Disappointment ensued upon opening the box. First of all, I could see that it was a refurbished unit (2nd IMEI sticker stuck over the original). Now that is not such a big deal, as the phone looked cosmetically fine. They however failed to send me a battery and back cover!!

So here I am, tormented with a new 808 in my hands, and no means to use it!! I found my old N8 battery that I replaced last year, and fitted it in, so I can play around a bit. I guess the silver lining is that the proximity sensor (and other functions I have tried) work perfectly.

So, here I am: waiting for the last bits of the phone to come in and end this dramatic chapter of Nokia Support History.

Here's a recap (in order of ascending blood pressure):
21 Dec: Phone sent to repair center for pixel defect repair
10 Jan: Phone returned. Display swapped, proximity sensor broken
11 Jan: Phone sent to repair center for repair
20 Jan: Phone returned Proximity sensor STILL broken
21 Jan: Phone sent to repair center for repair
29 Jan: Phone returned Proximity sensor STILL STILL broken
30 Jan: Phone sent to repair center for swap
04 Feb: Phone returned. No battery and back cover

to be continued.........
Ads

Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Hey Mazor,

Thanks for your sympathy. You are really a photo-taking monster!! Wow! :-)

With that volume of data, I was just wondering what your storage strategy is. Do you transfer the photos from time to time using Nokia Suite or do you have some online/cloud service to upload the images to?

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 PM

thanks Pappasan, I do my best to make use of the camera part of the 808

For on board storage, the 32Gb MicroSD card suffices. And I generally just link the 808 via USB and mass storage when I want to transfer images to my PC, which then goes to my photo storage NAS.

I know there are lots of cloud support structures available, but call me old fashioned. I just prefer to store my photos locally.

Sorry to hear again, you are really not having much luck with Nokiacare. I think after you finally get your battery and back cover, you should write a formal letter of complaint detailing your full experience. This kind of service is not acceptable, and in a way is disappointing for us loyal Nokia supporters.