All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 26-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Garmin Mobile XT version 5.0 available now for UIQ 3 and S60 3rd Edition

The best SatNav app for Symbian [in Asri's opinion! - Ed], Garmin Mobile XT, just reached version 5.0. The new version looks like a totally new app because the interface has been redesigned and the speed in loading map data is also greatly improved. Both S60 3rd Edition and UIQ 3 users can now enjoy the new version. Blurb and changelog below the break.

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Sidfire

Talking Wow!

This is great news!! i am updating my version right away! and without a shadow of a doubt i am very excited since i feel this is the best satnav software for s60 atm :-)

cheerios!

Old 27-09-2008, 03:10 PM
DrB

I wish it didn't require a card

I love Garmin products, and would buy this in a second .... BUT the fact that it requires me to use their SD card turns me off. I already have an SD card full of music, ebooks, files for work, etc.

I already own a Garmin handheld and their $100+ MapSource software to download map data to it. I wish Garmin would make a software only version without a card, and maps can be dowloaded to it just like their handhelds. I suspect they have a lot of handheld users out there who may own this software and now own XT capable PDAs/cell phones.

Old 27-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

Lag

Has it fixed the thing where you go 10 yards past a turning then it all snaps into place and you realise you've missed your route?

Old 28-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Smile Great

A great update indeed. Route calculation is improved and the general interface looks smoother... A good recommendation , specially for N95 users, if you already have the 4,xxxx version installed you should uninstall the Garmin software though your app managers in phone first and then install the 5,0 version. Many have experienced problems when trying to update through "overwriting solution". with the app just showing garbled images..

Old 28-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Unregistered

Smile YEs. Agree

Yes I agree with the above. Tried to update by overwriting.. Just got a total mess with the app just showing garbled images... When I first removed the garmin xt through apps manager and then did a fresh install of the 5.0 version downloaded from the Garmin website it all worked fine..... Great update.. Love the new look of it.. and it responds much faster too....

Old 28-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Unregistered

I'm not sure I do love the new look. It looks too much like Nokia Maps to me, with the pretty arrow icons etc. When I moved from nokia maps to Garmin XT one of the things I found very refreshing was the clear bright directions boxes. Based on those screenshots, I don't think I'll update.

Old 28-09-2008, 10:59 PM

Enizmitic is on a distinguished road
A worthy GPS Application

Garmin has always been good at producing mapping hardware and software. v5 is much easier to navigate and resolves quite a few bugs. It does lack the superior Navteq maps that Nokia maps use, but this is overcome by better navigation algorithims.

Old 29-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Unregistered

Does anyone can run music player after instaling version 5. I've installed it on my E51 and now I can't use my music player and cant't connect in mass storage mode thru USB (because memory card is in use by an application).

Old 29-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
There seems to be a few issues with the new version -

Its been confirmed by a few people (including me) that having any sort of POI installed, no matter how small, makes it lag on the map screen.

There seems to be a routing bug in one of the menus for some people. It directs you in a straight line regardless, this is because in the settings its missing the one you actually choose. See here for details: http://www.n95users.com/forum/gps/18...valible-3.html

Apperently Garmin are looking into the POI issue.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Unregistered

straight line in mapping

In the route calculation you select Fastest route. When you save that setting you will see that Off the road is selected, that is why you get a straight line (off the road is for tanks?). The options all have shifted 2 places. So to select fastest route you need to select the option which is positioned 2 places above.

The garbled images that people experience... when you have done your transfer you still need to run the installation on your device. If you don't then you'll get the garbled images.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Unregistered

Still seems to be that bug with the route setting "I.E Off road etc... "

Ive also noticed that on the odd occasion, with full GPS signal, Garmin just goes bonkers and either the car stops moving or it starts going way off-road ( far from where you actually are )

Old 28-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Big problem....

I'm using gmobile xt 5.0., but I have problem with it and I can't find a solution... When garmin need to calculate road which are between two cities (longer than 50 km), it can't do it, than only showing: unable to calculate road. Maybe someone knows - what to do????
Ads