All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-03-2009, 08:11 AM

alsiladka is on a distinguished road
Any news / info on the next N85 FW?

Does anybody have any news or update on the next N85 FW, v12 probably?

All the phones have received an update in the new year, N79 received a huge update late last year.

N85's only update was a minor one around december.

I guess a update is due soon, but anyone have any news or info?
Ads

Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM

car_guy143 is on a distinguished road
I would also like to know this. I know of a pretty major bug in the firmware. When putting the phone on certain profiles, the numberpad lights go out until you have closed the phone, locked the keypad, unlocked the keypad and then opened the phone again. It's pretty annoying.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 PM

BuhSnarf is on a distinguished road
This is one of many, many bugs around the keypad lights. For example whilst in USB mode there are no keypad lights - which is annoying when it's on charge and you're trying to text in the dark!

But there are many, many, many more serious bugs that I'd like to see fixed in the next firmware update. Like randomly resetting when on charge, crashing in the music player on song change etc. etc.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:53 AM

dk206 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhSnarf View Post
This is one of many, many bugs around the keypad lights. For example whilst in USB mode there are no keypad lights - which is annoying when it's on charge and you're trying to text in the dark!

But there are many, many, many more serious bugs that I'd like to see fixed in the next firmware update. Like randomly resetting when on charge, crashing in the music player on song change etc. etc.
yeah no light on keyboard whilst charging....maybe to decrease the time it has to charge?

-.-
....jeez
the f/w testers must really put alot of feedback to Nokia.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 AM

car_guy143 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhSnarf View Post

I emailed Nokia Care about my problem with the keypad lights. Original message from me to Nokia -
Quote:
When i change the profile on my phone to certain ones, such as silent, pager or meeting, the numberpad lights go out. The only way to get the numberpad lights to come back on again is to close the phone, lock the keypad, and then open the phone.

As i say, it only does it on certain profiles, not all of them. If i change to General, or Outdoor, the numberpad stays lit up no problem.

I have tried updating the firmware and i have the latest one available. I have reinstalled the firmware but the problem is still there. Maybe you could please tell me if this is a big problem and if it will be fixed under any new possible firmware updates. Thanks for your help]
[Operator: Orange]
[Operating system: Windows Vista]
Nokia response -
Quote:
Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting Nokia Care.

Greetings to you. I hope this email finds you in good health.

In response to your email, for us to assist you further we need to assess your Nokia phone physically. Please take your Nokia phone to your nearest Nokia Care Point for an assessment. The technician there will be assess your Nokia phone if a repair is required and advise you further.

The contact details for your nearest Nokia Care Point can be found at the web link given below:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/storelocator

I hope the above clarifies.

Help Nokia improve the service we offer you! To take part in our short confidential survey, please click on the link below:

http://digiumenterprise.com/answer/?...QF7H&anslang=0

Keep your phone software up-to-date by using the Nokia Software Updater. For more details visit Nokia Support and Software at http://www.nokia.co.uk/support or http://www.nokia.ie/support. You can also go online to find user guides, troubleshooting support and other services to help you use your Nokia product.

This response has been given based on the information you have provided us. The response is provided for general information purposes only. It is intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be accurate or complete, and it does not constitute any binding commitment.

To ensure proper handling, please continue to use the current subject line.

Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions.

Yours sincerely,

James
Nokia Service Professional
UK & Ireland Team
Nokia Care
I have never had the resetting whilst charging problem, but have suffered the music player crash every so often.

Also, in the call log, every single call made or received has the mobile icon next to it, even if it's stored in my phonebook as a home phone.

What other issues have people suffered from?

I wish there were some way i could get involved in phone testing, i'd love to try and help out.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 PM

Milhouse is on a distinguished road
I've got the mobile phone icon in previous call list for every call too - very annoying.

I also have a problem with caller images - I've attached images to about 8 contacts, but when these contacts call me I'm shown their image for only 4 of them, the other 4 contacts display only the number. It's always the same contacts who have or don't have their image shown, and I've added the images the same way each time. Have added the images to those contacts who don't display several times too, still doesn't work.

The browser crashes all to often on "complex" pages (ie. http://www.theregister.co.uk/ or http://www.theinquirer.net/) - the browser really is hopeless some times. Also it leaks memory like a seive. The keypad buttons (ie. #3 for back, #0 for home etc.) also stop working in the browser after some indeterminate amount of time, restarting the browser will fix it.

It's a nice phone hardware wise, but the software quality is pretty sh1te - typical Nokia all round really. I hope an update is due soon, but I'm sure it will break other stuff when it arrives and bring it's own boat load of bugs.

Old 13-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
yeah, I've found that browser crashing too... it is REALLY annoying... same on the N95 tho... just goes pop!

Old 20-03-2009, 01:46 AM

kits is on a distinguished road
1. Call Logs problem should be fixed on ALL Nokia phones.
2. They should have separate icons for Home and Office numbers instead of the dumb old-style phone icon.
3. Call Logs should have a 'Details' or 'Open' selection for contact so you can easily access other numbers, e-mails of the contact. For example, I dial to a friends Home number and he doesn't pick up the phone. I should be able to get to his Cell number or Office number from call logs like you can do on any other manufacturers phones (SE, iPhone, Samsung, Motorola)