All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Sunlight - the flaw in many a manufacturer's display specs (Nokia N8/iPhone 4)

Around 36 hours ago, Apple unveiled its latest iPhone 4 to the world - excellent build materials on it, but I believe that they - and Nokia - and others - are missing an important trick: what happens when you take your oh-so-portable smartphone out into the world. A world where the birds are singing, the people are smiling and the sun is shining. And you can't see a blessed thing on your smartphone's display. Returning to a theme from exactly a year ago, I compare some recent device displays to prove a very, very important point.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Sockatume

Is there any reason why an IPS display should be incompatible with a transflective layer? I know Apple omitted it from the iPad but I see no reason for them to skip it on the iPhone, a device which is much more likely to be used outdoors.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 AM

PaulVise is on a distinguished road
Steve and his sunlight tests with sun, 1000W halogen behind him and awkward positions.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Unregistered

How can you possibly know the iPhone 4 will not perform as well on sunlight? Have you or anyone else tested it? No.
Knowing Apple do you really believe that they will go backwards?
I'm not an Apple fan but I seriously doubt it. This not Nokia we're dealing here.
There is no way they will go from the 3GS which is excellent outdoors to the new device with inferior performance.
This is wishful thinking on your part. Desperately trying to find faults with the new iPhone.

I am afraid you'll eat a lot crow when the iPhone is released.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How can you possibly know the iPhone 4 will not perform as well on sunlight? Have you or anyone else tested it? No.
Knowing Apple do you really believe that they will go backwards?
I'm not an Apple fan but I seriously doubt it. This not Nokia we're dealing here.
There is no way they will go from the 3GS which is excellent outdoors to the new device with inferior performance.
This is wishful thinking on your part. Desperately trying to find faults with the new iPhone.

I am afraid you'll eat a lot crow when the iPhone is released.
Another example of extreme negativity towards AAS there. At no point in his text did Steve directly write that the iPhone 4 will have poor screen visibility in sunlight. He stated that an IPS screen is hard to see, and that the iPhone 4 has IPS, but made no direct comment about how the iPhone 4 performs. You are desperately trying to find faults in Steve's work, so get your own crow and season it, your lunch is ready.

The thing that puzzles me is my cheap compact digital camera. It has an LCD screen that is perfectly visible in all lighting conditions including direct sunlight, how does it do it?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 AM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
And I just do not see why manufacturers continue to ignore this problem.
Maybe because it isn't that big a problem? Or the number of complaints/potential sales they would gain doesn't warrant their investment?

It'd be interesting to know how high up 'sunlight performance' is on people's priority list when choosing a phone?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Bulakbuk

Fantastic piece of article!

As far as touchscreen oriented phones are concerned, outdoor readability is an absolute nightmare.

I have yet to use a touch based device that I can easily type and read a text message, I sure hope that the next best technology would be enough to address this issue.

The old Palm PDAs of the olden days have fairly good screens on direct sunlight, I can still use the whole functionality of the device without ever having to squint a bit.

The worst touchscreen on direct sunlight I must say is the SE P990i, you can hardly see a character.

Tacsiyapo!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Unregistered

Super Amoled

HI with the new Super Amoled you have no problems with sunlight!

Check out:
http://www.oled-display.net/super-amoled

Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Andrew Weekes

No real disadvantage to transflective displays?

How about power consumption and battery life, the bane of the modern smart phone user? Or dramatically worse contrast ratios?

AMOLED displays have significantly reduced power consumption, especially when combined with smart UI design (e.g. dimming of non-focus areas of the screen, for example around a dialogue box).

As with all these things what's important to one person is less important to another. Steve places high importance to sunlight readability, others are happy to forgo it for improved battery life and dramatically improved contrast ratios.
Ads

Old 09-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
"Steve places high importance to sunlight readability" Every pundit I listen to on podcasts and the like, they ALL complain that their otherwise wonderful touchscreen phones can't really be used outdoors. It's not just me. 8-)

Surely the whole POINT of a smartphone is that it lets us take our computing power out into the world, not just cowering in an office or living room?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Sure they may complain but again, how important is having a sunlight-legible screen in the scheme of things?

I'd like to have a better screen, be twenty years younger and hung like a baboon but you learn to cope...

Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 AM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
How important is it? are you for real?

Even if you're out and about and want to order dinner it's next to impossible because we cant read the screen. I know as I do this every day.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
"

Surely the whole POINT of a smartphone is that it lets us take our computing power out into the world, not just cowering in an office or living room?
It certainly is the point of being able to use the phone as a camera, which is one of the core strengths of the N8. How good is a camera if it has no viewfinder and you can't see what you are framing on the screen in good weather when you are more likely to be out using a camera.

And when you are likely to be out in the sun using the maps to navigate, trying to read the screen.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
How important is it? are you for real?

Even if you're out and about and want to order dinner it's next to impossible because we cant read the screen. I know as I do this every day.
Ummm... yeah, I'm for real.

If you need your phone to order dinner and it's next to impossible because you can't read the screen, could I suggest a different restaurant/takeaway or a different phone?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Unregistered

who sprayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2702 View Post
Ummm... yeah, I'm for real.

If you need your phone to order dinner and it's next to impossible because you can't read the screen, could I suggest a different restaurant/takeaway or a different phone?
There are better real world examples, as personally I find that booking a restaurant table depends mostly on the speech capabilities of the phone, rather than the screen.

The aforementioned maps and cameras illustrate the problem better.