All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-10-2006, 04:37 PM

WPKenny is on a distinguished road
O2 Firmware Availability

1st time poster, long time lurker

Hi everyone.

I recently put Tomtom Navigator (6) on my mobile but I'm having issues with it due to having the older firmware.

I want to upgrade to V4 but as others on O2 who've tried the software updater there's no official update out yet.

So I'm sat here on a sunday evening wondering if it's just not on the nokia website or if it's not out at all. If I found my nearest nokia service centre tomorrow and took my phone in, would they be able to help me out?

I've got a few spare hours and I've downloaded all the necessary bits to flash my phone myself but I'm a little worried it might go wrong.

I've also emailed O2 this evening asking when they plan to authorise a v4 firmware for the official nokia updater. I'll keep you posted on the reply but if anyone knows any of the answers to my queries I'd be grateful.

As it stands now TT6 sometimes works, sometimes hangs, refuses to restart after exiting from a crash etc until I reboot the phone (not very practical while driving when it's asking for PIN and unlocking codes) and of course the usual BT problems.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:44 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Hi..and welcome to the N80 forum

well I think that untill an official V4 comes out for O2 then your only option is to try upgrading yourself....

Unless you can try and talk you NCS into upgrading with generic firmware...

You just need to follow instructions, and its quite easy with the reaper program, just look and read carfully all the threads about upgrading to V4

Old 08-10-2006, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and the warm welcome

I've been reading thread after thread but I've not seen anyone say what state their phone's left in after flashing.

I'm able to backup the phone to the memory card and also back the phone up using the Nokia suite.

Do I simply restore all this after flashing and the phone's back to how it was or will I need to re-install all my software from scratch?

Well as the saying goes..the devil makes work for idle hands. I've got nothing to do but wait for my dinner to finish cooking and I'm so tempted to flash the phone myself. Temptation.....

Old 08-10-2006, 04:57 PM

Taingster is on a distinguished road
Nah, get it done by a NSC, much safer . I flashed mine myself and it screwed up, and ended up taking it to a NSC anyway and didn't have it for a month because it had to get sent back. if you phone dies during flashing, the NSC can't restore it.. it has to be sent back.

Orange doesn't have an approved firmware either, but normally the NSC will do it for you anyway if you say you're having issues, such as tomtom6 and bluetooth.

Also, some NSC will charge you. I went to one in London which wanted to charge me 20 pounds. I went to a different one and they did it for free.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:58 PM

Ouch. Well between yourself and my girlfriend you've convinced me not to try. I'll see if I can find a centre nearby that will flash it to a generic firmware.

Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 PM

micscave is on a distinguished road
Talking

For what it's worth I flashed mine & a friends N80's a few days ago without a hitch using the Reaper guide. Both the phones are on Orange and we waited for the N80 to be added to the Nokia updater. The day arrives & it soon becomes apparent that there wont be an Orange V4 variant as the phone has been dropped by Orange. A few calls to 3 or 4 NCS later, all refusing to do a generic flash of my phone I was ready to give it a go myself. I found the Reaper guide very easy to follow and I would say to you to give it a go too. The bit I missed initialy in the guide was to open the firmware once Phoenix had been installed, once done everything was cool. Both phones are now better than they have ever been.
hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:32 PM

odie is on a distinguished road
I started lurking around this forum for informatin on unlocking my Nokia N80 and found that it can only be done by the operator. I now have ana unlocked phone but read with interest this latest thread. So for the semi-tech literate person that I am, can someone please explain the following to me: Why do you need to update the firmware and how do you go about doing it? And will this debrand the phone of all Orange crap? Thanks in advance, Odie.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie
I started lurking around this forum for informatin on unlocking my Nokia N80 and found that it can only be done by the operator. I now have ana unlocked phone but read with interest this latest thread. So for the semi-tech literate person that I am, can someone please explain the following to me: Why do you need to update the firmware and how do you go about doing it? And will this debrand the phone of all Orange crap? Thanks in advance, Odie.
flashing your phone will usually fix many problems and bugs that previous software has had, for examplr, in the latest V3 firmware there is a serious bug with the bluetooth that stops you usung GPS effectively, but this has been fixed in V4 firmware.

It is unlikely that orange will update their firmware to V4 as they have dropped the phone.

Just read any and I would think all threads on this N80 bord about V4 flashing....the more info you read the easier the flashing process will be for youy.

and yes, many of the orange crap will be removed.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:08 PM

Well I was quite surprised to receive a reply back from O2 late this evening. I'm guessing they've even moved customer support to india since the reply came at roughly 10pm UK time and the person was called Pooja.

Anyway, rather unhelpfully the reply was that they haven't a clue when the N80 V4 firmware will be approved by O2 and all they could suggest was to keep checking the nokia website.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:06 PM

Pheonix SZ is an unknown quantity at this point
As long as you use the Reaper Guide, you'll be fine.
I was on O2 direware and the gen V4 flash worked wonders for it.
Just don't use anything but Reaper - particularly not the Nokia FOTA which has a worrisome track record.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:17 AM

ut666 is on a distinguished road
I have an N80 on 02, got it off e2save.com ...

It was an import N80 from saudia arabia or somewhere near there so Nokia Service Centre would not update the firmware, as no warranty from them in europe...

Tried to flash it (firmware v3 days) myself, failed and ended up with a bricked phone.

Sent it to http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/ and they reflashed it with a generic firmware for 15ukp (vat and p&h included). The reflashing dead phone is done with some $$$ hardware, like a J.A.F box.

Had no problems after that to update it to v4 firmware with the Nokia Software Update application.

So if you are worried about flashing it yourself with the phoenix/diego method i highly recomend mobilefun, to revive a bricked phone.

ut.

Last edited by ut666; 10-10-2006 at 12:24 AM.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
I might have to check that out, as my phone on O2 has just died after getting to 100% in Reaper for the upgrade to v4.

Its dead...

Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 PM

I just called my nearest service centre and they seemed a little distracted on the phone but seemed willing to upgrade my handset to generic firmware for free so I'm tootling off there now. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:31 PM

konsta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPKenny
I just called my nearest service centre and they seemed a little distracted on the phone but seemed willing to upgrade my handset to generic firmware for free so I'm tootling off there now. Will let you know how it goes.

Which centre was that exactly?

Cheers

Old 11-10-2006, 02:52 PM

They changed there mind when I got there. :(

The lady who was assisting me brought out an email dated 9th October from Nokia that stated they were not to upgrade any branded phones to a generic firmware.

She said that when they update the phones they have to punch in a the unique phone ID and so Nokia would know they'd upgraded an O2 phone to a generic firmware.

All they were able to do was put on the SMS Accelerator which I didn't really need tbh since I have never encountered the slow text message problem.

Long story short. O2 still have to approve the V4 firmware for both online and in-shop firmware upgrades and as such anyone on O2 who wants to use TomTom or any other GPS software's stuffed for the time being.

Anyone know someone at O2 to nag about this?

EDIT:

I've just fired off another email to O2. A little more insistant this time that they give me a better answer than "don't know".

Last edited by WPKenny; 11-10-2006 at 03:02 PM.