All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 22-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Does Symbian need crowd pleasing reference hardware?

Following on from Steve’s discussion earlier this week on discontinued smartphones, it’s been interesting to watch the reaction from other publications around Google’s Nexus one no longer being sold, and how it was a failed experiment and customers will only buy devices from the High Street. Well I beg to differ.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Well, there already sort of is a Symbian reference device, except it wasn't built by the SF. Samsung did: the i8910 Omnia HD.

I own it, in the U.S. (with spotty 3G, flaky antenna on EDGE and all) and it's a pretty decent device. Its best features are still the 720p video and the 8mp camera, but it's still buggy, and frustrating on occasion.

If it had official access to, say, Ovi Maps, it would be even better (yes, I know there's a hack, and I've used it in the past, but it stopped working, so the only maps option is Google).

But now, it's time for an upgrade and I'm eying the Droid X or iPhone 4.

Old 22-07-2010, 08:22 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Jeez Ewan I know you are known for your 'left field' articles on AAS and proposing some radical ideas. But I really wonder if you believe what your are writing or simply seek to be provocative for the sake of getting a reaction.

The Nexus Google could easily afford to be a failure. Sure, probably they didn't want it to be in their quest to sell directly, but with Android on an upward surge and the HTC Desire still out there, sure it's a 'win-win' for Google.

However Nokia/Symbian needs a reference design like a hole in the head. After 2 years of talk of code, committees and plans, they just need to get a handset (and a damned good one) into the hands of consumers. Prove that Symbian^3/^4 is the business and consumers want it and it is worth developing for, maybe then a reference handset could be an idea.

But until Nokia/Symbian regain their credibility amongst the buying public and in turn, developers, what you suggest is nothing more than a distraction.
Ads

Old 22-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Just to add:

Ewan, Symbian doesn't need a reference device...it needs third party partnerships. Lack of content is killing the platform.

Just today, Barnes & Noble made its Nook app also available to Android and already one exists for Apple and RIM. Nothing for Symbian.

Old 22-07-2010, 09:33 PM

argh is on a distinguished road
This would only be a reasonable idea if the Symbian Foundation then guaranteed that it would get upgrades to at least Symbian^X (insert whatever version is appropriate depending on the spec of the hardware).

Part of what made the Nexus One popular with the Android community was the developer / open aspect, with Google / HTC allowing the user to flash custom ROMs to it legally and without jumping through hoops, although at the cost of the warrantee I believe.

Old 23-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Unregistered

Not much sense having a flagship reference device without firmware that's a) Exciting and fresh & b) is upgradable. ^2 left S60 a year behind the competition, I have no doubts that the N8 will be an amazingly capable device, but it's even more important that the foundation ensure that using it is a pleasant and fluid experience. Good amounts of eye candy can make even otherwise mundane phones shift rather well (X10 anyone?), on the flipside, a capable phone that performs like a lame nag tends not to leave a particularly nice impression on people right from the showroom.

Roll on Meego.

Old 23-07-2010, 03:46 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Down with Eye Candy. We've never cared about eye candy. If we did then phones like N95 and N82 would've never been such huge hits. Features are what matters and Nokia/Symbian phones are by far the most feature rich phones in the market.

Android phones Camera quality is mediocre, their applications are written in Java (lol) and all they have is a fluid UI that only Girls and Americans care about.

Bring on the N8.

Old 23-07-2010, 04:05 AM

doonit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh View Post
Android phones Camera quality is mediocre, their applications are written in Java (lol) and all they have is a fluid UI that only Girls and Americans care about.
Haha. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 23-07-2010, 04:22 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
Java or not. Apps on android still generally beat the crap out of symbian apps. And there's now over a hundred thousand of them.
Edit: just compare raging thunder 2 for both platforms.

Last edited by Tenkom; 23-07-2010 at 04:24 AM.

Old 23-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Unregistered

i think nokia has already done this once, with the n900 which can be looked as a sort of test bed for the maemo platform.

Old 23-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Unregistered

touch/keyboard device - or a more radical approach...

Why not either:
- release a new communicator style form factor (developers need a keyboard!) that can have its OS firmware re-flashed.
or
- Sell/Release the tools to 're-flash' certain of the older phones (of varying form factors, e90, n95, etc.). It would not require creating a new reference platform, and it would allow people who want to tweak their own Symbian to do it.

I would love to do this for my phone.

Old 23-07-2010, 07:51 AM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
"Down with Eye Candy. We've never cared about eye candy. If we did then phones like N95 and N82 would've never been such huge hits. Features are what matters and Nokia/Symbian phones are by far the most feature rich phones in the market.

Bring on the N8."

Have you actually USED an android phone? Thanks for displaying your complete ignorance.

First, no Android is not about eye candy either, though lack of hideous Symbian icons and pixellated text does make life a little bit livabe.

Nokia/Symbian phones being most feature rich - YES if you count things like FM transmitter etc or useless huge internal memory that cripples the phone if ever filled.

Guess what: YES android phone camera quality is mediocre, but NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT. If you have a great camera which takes 10 seconds to start, its useless.

ANdroid is every bit (if not more) powerful than Symbian. What takes Nokia/Symbian ages to do, Android does in weeks. Just look at how many alternative desktops are available for Android and compare how long it took Nokia to add five lousy, pathetic, ugly, inflexible, buggy, inept, slow widgets to Symbian homescreen. And it is NOKIA/SYmbian who are supposed to specialize in these things!VNC, remote desktop, exhcange mail, name it and it is 100 times better in Android.

the only advantage Symbian has is that it is available in dirt-cheap devices, and it is a huge advantage. It also means that it should be limited to dirt-cheap devices where customers are willing to put up with a locked, ugly, slow, clunky OS.

And I fail to understand why AAS keeps pretending that Symbian's main problem is that of image? I have been a loyal Nokia user for 5 or more years, yet 15 minutes of using an HTC Legend made me regret it all. Yes I would still like to see Symbian prosper and one day would love to go back to it, but ONLY if it regains its position as the best mobile OS.

Old 23-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post

Have you actually USED an android phone? Thanks for displaying your complete ignorance.
I have, I am using one and it's not all that. What's so great about it? It does a lot of stuff that irritates.

Quote:
First, no Android is not about eye candy either, though lack of hideous Symbian icons and pixellated text does make life a little bit livabe.

Quote:
And I fail to understand why AAS keeps pretending that Symbian's main problem is that of image? I have been a loyal Nokia user for 5 or more years, yet 15 minutes of using an HTC Legend made me regret it all. Yes I would still like to see Symbian prosper and one day would love to go back to it, but ONLY if it regains its position as the best mobile OS.
The problem for Symbian was the S60 UI was leapfrogged and left behind, and Nokia couldn't respond quick enough. The produced some poor architectures for their hardware and had some appalling software quality problems. I hope that SF is now far enough removed from its incompetent custodian that it will be able to prosper again, and Nokia can concentrate on getting hardware right.

Old 23-07-2010, 09:27 AM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
[quote=Hardeep1singh;471770]Down with Eye Candy. We've never cared about eye candy. If we did then phones like N95 and N82 would've never been such huge hits. Features are what matters and Nokia/Symbian phones are by far the most feature rich phones in the market. [quote]

Hardeep, are you still living in 2007?

Welcome to 2010 - where the rise of the iPhone and Android platforms are testament to the overall experience now being 'what matters'. It's not just not enough be 'feature rich' by having a tick list of features

You may never have cared about eye candy but a lot of people do. Why should it be an 'either/or' situation - either have eye candy or have an OS that functions well? Why shouldn't we expect or demand both?

Old 23-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2702 View Post
Hardeep, are you still living in 2007?

Welcome to 2010 - where the rise of the iPhone and Android platforms are testament to the overall experience now being 'what matters'. It's not just not enough be 'feature rich' by having a tick list of features

?
What's so great about Android? I'm using an Android phone whilst I wait for Nokia to get its act together and release a decent handset with ^4 and I can't see what all the fuss is about. Frankly it's a disappointment , it's better but not the huge improvement over FP5 I was really hoping for and was led to expect.

The iPhone is definitely a really good all round UI and back up service environment and way ahead of Android - but has its own different negatives.