All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 17-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Just in answer to all the questions about whether the N8 will get an upgrade to Symbian^4 as and when the latter is ready, there's no technical reason why it shouldn't be possible, as far as we know.

Whether Nokia choose to offer this is another matter. It would really only appeal to geeks, to be honest - the mass market users would be horribly confused by an upgrade to their handset that totally changed the interface. I know my wife, for example, would. What users want is more stability and faster, smoother operation using the interface they've already got to know.

Whereas geeks (like us) love tinkering, changing and transmogrifying! 8-)

Old 17-07-2010, 07:37 AM

doonit is on a distinguished road
I laughed when Anssi said Nokia want to win the Guru back, cos it occured to me that there is NO indication that anyone at Nokia ever read his, or any other, blog.
They don't read this one. If they did then every Nokia handset since the N82 would have had a xenon flash and oodles of ram and internal memory, etc.
Then there's the problem of the fractured nature of Nokia. The one hand has no clue of what the other hand is doing. What's good marketing when R+D's completely crap, etc, etc?
Like the Guru, I'll give them the chance to produce two PERFECT flagships. They have everything that it takes to do this. In the meantime, for me, they're going the way of the Dodo.

Old 17-07-2010, 07:51 AM

doonit is on a distinguished road
@morpheus2702

My friend, do you never leave your house? You're sounding like one of those nerds with the checkered jacket and horn rimmed glasses that thinks cool is the book on quantum physics that you're reading. :-)
Haven't you seen how cool iPhone makes people?

Old 17-07-2010, 08:04 AM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Wow lucky escape, just bought one and now I'm cool, I'm super kewl.

Posted from my iPhone, beating them off with a s****y stick
Ads

Old 17-07-2010, 10:24 AM

cylon6 is on a distinguished road
I think that the N8 has fantastic hardware and the UI looks responsive. The problem is that even though the UI has improved it still looks like what we have seen on many Nokias before. Had we never seen the Apple iPhone with its UI the N8 would be perceived far better. All it needs is a new font and that would have superficial people going "ooh that looks nice!"

I think the only way this phone will get a really amazing to look at UI is if/when SPB Mobile Shell becomes available for the N8.

Old 17-07-2010, 10:42 AM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
i'm not gonna delude myself and think i know whats cool cause i am clearly too old.
In London Orange and T mobile will sell you a Blackberry curve on pay as you go for £140, its every where from 12 year olds to 21 year olds school kids on the bus have this cheap plastic blackberry its kewl. Now not one of us on here would consider that remotely a cool device but it is.
The N95 was cool every body wanted one and it was expensive, i don't think Nokia can invent cool it just happens, just release some rock solid devices rebuild their reputation for durability and reliabilty and go from there a cheap device can be cool too.

Old 17-07-2010, 12:36 PM
froschy

Agreed, to all those that say Nokia should focus on producing rock solid devices and let the cool follow otherwise I think they will make the same mistakes as they did with the N97 where they hyped it through marketing but failed to deliver on their hype.

As for UI, I think people wrongly attribute the success of the iPhone UI to eye candy when it's really due to the ease of use of all the functions. This is an area that Symbian really lags behind in and I hope S^3 goes a long way to fixing this.

Old 17-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
+1,000,000

I concur.

Nobody likes buying into a dead platform (see, Windows Mobile 6.5).

HTC sold loads of those enormous pro 2 things with WM6.5 on. Most people just don't car about versions and fragmentation and donut and 1.6 and 2.2 and 3.0 and ^3^4 and all that geekdom. The niche minorities that come to places like this (Steve brilliantly coined the phrase "geek channels") are insignificant and what we want doesn't really matter a jot.

A few thousand boring techy-geeks does not a market make.

Old 17-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Ballz

"HTC sold loads of those enormous pro 2 things with WM6.5 on. Most people just don't car about versions and fragmentation and donut and 1.6 and 2.2 and 3.0 and ^3^4 and all that geekdom. The niche minorities that come to places like this (Steve brilliantly coined the phrase "geek channels") are insignificant and what we want doesn't really matter a jot.

A few thousand boring techy-geeks does not a market make."

Utter rubbish, my mums just updated her iPhone to 4.0.1 OS. In fact she told ME about it. Her phone before this was a Nokia 6500 "Slide". She didn't even know how to txt on it before.

iPhone 4! Here I come!

Old 17-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Shyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz View Post
"

Utter rubbish, my mums just updated her iPhone to 4.0.1 OS. In fact she told ME about it. Her phone before this was a Nokia 6500 "Slide". She didn't even know how to txt on it before.

iPhone 4! Here I come!
Total crap. What's an iPhone got to do with the HTC pro thing? When you plug an iPhone into iTunes it tells you to upgrade if you need to.

I always try and hide my iPhone when I use it, because it is defintely NOT cool. It's earned that cheesy twat image.

Old 17-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Gunmetalskyline

Hmmm

Mr. Spence, your post on the N8 and potential steps that Nokia can take to "get it back" reminds me of my most recent post which makes recommendations over what Nokia should consider doing to captivate U.S. customers

http://mobilelust.blogspot.com/2010/...8-to-date.html

Old 18-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Unregistered

Nokia was cool

I remember when Nokia phones were pretty popular in the U.S. - around the time that I had the 5120. I bought additional faceplates to personalize it and the faceplates were sold at Target! Those phones and similar models seemed to frequently pop up in a movies, too.

Old 18-07-2010, 12:29 PM
KPO'M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post

Will the N8 be upgradeable to Symbian^4? I don't know but I wouldn't hold my breath. Symbian 4 introduces a further improved Hardware Abstraction Interface. It breaks compatibility with older apps with the move to solely QT. How do you think people will react if the update to Symbian^4 is put over the air and they suddenly find half their favourite apps wont work?

Smartphones are basically computers these days, I don't expect to get free updates to the next Windows OS, should I really expect a free update for a phones OS, personally I say no.
Who says it needs to be free and OTA? At least say there is an option to upgrade to Symbian^4. OTOH, Microsoft usually does make the next version of its software free shortly before the new version comes out. If you purchased a Vista PC this time last year, you got a free update to Windows 7. Nokia is already talking about Symbian^4 even before the first Symbian^3 device is out there. Why not make it free, albeit optional?

No one seems to complain when Apple makes significant OS updates available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
Symbian^3 addresses most of the fundamental flaws with Symbian^1 don't be so quick to dismiss it for Symbian^4 as there is alot more in Symbian^3 than people realise I think.
It addresses flaws but doesn't really change the UI, if the Intomobile review is accurate. "This phone isn't as bad as the N97' isn't exactly a strong marketing push. Everyone knows S^3 is just a stopgap. Make S^4 available, since that's the real future.

Old 18-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

????

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Just in answer to all the questions about whether the N8 will get an upgrade to Symbian^4 as and when the latter is ready, there's no technical reason why it shouldn't be possible, as far as we know.

Whether Nokia choose to offer this is another matter. It would really only appeal to geeks, to be honest - the mass market users would be horribly confused by an upgrade to their handset that totally changed the interface. I know my wife, for example, would. What users want is more stability and faster, smoother operation using the interface they've already got to know.

Whereas geeks (like us) love tinkering, changing and transmogrifying! 8-)
sigh..... it would only matter to geeks? iOS3->4 was not a real quantum leap on the UI! My wife easily handled that transition on her ipod and i'd think you should give your better half more credit on this as well. It depends on how cleanly is the transition. I would NOT make up excuses for bad transitions, which was basically s60v3 to s60v5. Transitioning to a new interface is just as much part of os improvement exercise as stabilizing and simplifying. As for s3 to s4, what are the HW requirements? S60v3 to v5 technically only required a touch screen upgrade, but we've all seen how that's really turning out in nokia's portfolio....
-Gene

Old 18-07-2010, 10:16 PM

cylon6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sigh..... it would only matter to geeks? iOS3->4 was not a real quantum leap on the UI! My wife easily handled that transition on her ipod and i'd think you should give your better half more credit on this as well. It depends on how cleanly is the transition. I would NOT make up excuses for bad transitions, which was basically s60v3 to s60v5. Transitioning to a new interface is just as much part of os improvement exercise as stabilizing and simplifying. As for s3 to s4, what are the HW requirements? S60v3 to v5 technically only required a touch screen upgrade, but we've all seen how that's really turning out in nokia's portfolio....
-Gene
From what I can gather Symbian 3 offers things similar to other touchscreens, one tap, pinch to zoom etc. But it seems to put people off because it just looks old and like Symbian looks now. I honestly think that if the N8 launched and what was onscreen had a different font, icons, calculator and calendar but with the exact same functionality more people would be saying "wow that looks great!"

The first impression is made with the eyes. I can see that the N8 UI looks great, but some of my friends look at and say it isn't snazzy enough and that is just based on the icons/transitions etc.