All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 15-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Top Ten Things Nokia could have done with their London Nokia Store

Ewan Spence looks back with a practised eye on Ten Things that Nokia could have done with their Regent Street flagship store in order to have made it a success... Can you add to the list? What did the Apple store do right and Nokia do wrong? (and you're not allowed to say 'Sell iPhones'...)

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

no 10. Nokia should not close the store and do as Ewan suggested

I would suggest to sell many accessories like case, silicone (both 3rd parties and its own)

Old 15-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Unregistered

Its easy ;-)

Hold an evening avent and teach customers how to use their new smartphone. Give them some extra value, and make sure they use them. It's the best investment a company can do !

2 hours from 7 to 9 with a sandwich and something to dring. Give them a keyring or something else they can show to their friends.....

Peter from Denmark

Old 15-12-2009, 03:41 PM

avensus is on a distinguished road
I like the last suggestion about training events. Something more for the consumer other than sales might have been a good idea, especially for the corporate market when selling new E series devices to IT departments!

Personally I think stores like this are dead in the water. You can browse and review all the device specs from the comfort of your chair at home via the internet, and you can purchase most of them cheaper than the store price at online stores.

If you wanted to handle a new device it would probably be in your local network phone shop or other large retail chain phone seller, and available cheaper or free on a contract. I wouldn't travel to a flagship store just to see a new device unless other incentives were there.

Apple has done better but this is more down to the range of its products, other than mobile phones. Places like the Sony Store are still doing ok, as the range of domestic products such as computers and TVs means consumers prefer to see "in the flesh" before buying.

Most of my phones I've bought, having never touched.

Nokia should have had regular sales and the selling of sim free devices at special offer prices (ie. first 100 sales when the doors open get an N97 for 300....) and should have combined it as one large support/repair/advice centre. Other than that sales will never keep it alive as the larger proportion of sales is almost certainly through subsidies and contracts.

I would say the move for Nokia to close it is simply as their money is currently spent better elsewhere rather than trying to make it work.

Last edited by avensus; 15-12-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Text edits

Old 15-12-2009, 03:42 PM
froschy

was it a problem with the stores or just Nokia in general

I can only comment on the New York flagship store as that is the only one that I have visited and it sounds quite different to the London ones as you can try out the new phones, purchase them upon release (without carrier subsidy), and purchase Nokia accessories. It is a shame that the Nokia store don't stock 3rd party accessories, especially here in the US where they are generally hard to come by making it even harder to have a Nokia in the US but IMHO the problem was not with the stores, rather with the perception of the Nokia brand in general. Poor design choices, poor software development and poorly implemented services have lead to Nokia releasing devices with a very average user experience, as a result of this the general public are not excited with the Nokia brand. Compare this to Apple where their devices are designed to provide an excellent user experience which has lead to not only a cult following but also a widespread appeal and this results in people actually wanting to visit the Apple stores to participate in the excitement around the brand.

Old 15-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up I second 6+7

My odyssey to buy the Nokia N79 half a year after the launch was no fun.

Spending money shouldn't be that complicated.

Old 15-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

Branding

For the flagships to be successful commercially, Nokia has to reinforce brand loyalty and make the brand appealing to new customers. To the extent the first nine ideas would not do this, they probably would not have helped.

Visiting the Shanghai store last year, it was packed wall-to-wall not because there was a Nokia fan club meeting or a coffee shop, but rather people were interested in Nokia and its products. A lot of folks were aspirational customers that would purchase a Nokia product as a status symbol or symbol of progress.

But that type of cachet has to be sustained with relatively good products. I don't think anyone would say the Nokia brand harmed Nokia's products. Rather, I think more people would say Nokia's products recently have harmed the Nokia brand.

I think a lot of Western customers do the same thing, but no longer at the Nokia stores.

Old 15-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Dean Whitbread

Cool Nokia Shoulda

All of that, Ewan, plus they should get the phones they are trying to demo to potential customers to the salespeople ahead of time, so that they can demo them. When I turned up with @kosso to look at an N900 it wouldn't play back video - nothing that couldn't be fixed, but it wasn't fixed because the poor chap had only had it for half a day and clearly hadn't been asked to put it through its video paces until we showed up. Yet it's superior multi-media capability was one of my plus points for that handset...

Old 15-12-2009, 04:14 PM

JCB_Digger is on a distinguished road
Why close at all?

I'm amazed that Nokia are closing the store. Nokia's a multi-million(billion?) pound business, that can't be bothered to keep it's Flagship stores open as a 'loss-leader', propelling the message of Nokia goodness to the world.

What message does does the closure convey to the general public (and the press?).

I really wish someone would take the gun out of Nokia's hand so it can stop repeatedly shooting itself in the foot.

Old 15-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

The Ferrari shop in Regent Street doesn't sell cars as far as I know. I think Nokia had to shut their stores because their staff were subject to so much abuse.
Ads

Old 15-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Marc D.

Big Difference

For those comparing this to the Apple store, there is one major difference.
The Apple store sells more than mobile phones. The Apple store sells Apple's entire product range from desktops, laptops, media centers(Apple TV), portable media players, etc. So they have more of a product range to support store expenses.
As for Nokia, if they planned on doing more computers than the Booklet 3G, then it may have made sense to keep the 3(2 US/1 UK) closing flagships open.

Old 15-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

its not closed yet, 3 months yet somethings might change!

Old 15-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Dead1nside is on a distinguished road
Apple Stores are popping up everywhere. Nokia's problem is that they hold little mindshare in the consumer's eyes. I'd say they're the better salesmen.

The article is right in saying its a lifestyle that is being sold, but Nokia have nothing competitive - even the N900 is late and in the UK only reported to be coming to Vodafone so far and it's hardly a mass-market appeal device.

I don't see much creativity in negating the Apple threat which is massive. Apple are the ones opening up new markets with their device, they've played up their App store which was revolutionary and they've emphasised the gaming abilities of the device too.

In a way of course it's easier for Apple with their fewer devices and as I have said they've brought their experience at sales and marketing from other areas into the fore.

Old 15-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

Two of the problems I encountered at the Nokia store with demonstrations of new phones:

1) the person demo-ing it knew less about it than I did... (and I'm only a 4 or 5 on the SymbianFreak scale)

and

2) immature firmware, either pre-release or 1.0 (which for the N97 may well have been pre-release!), meaning the phone was slow and didn't do what it was supposed to do.

Lucky for Nokia I have had the N95 experience so appreciate that their phones tend to mature (!) with time so I wasn't *totally* put off. But someone who'd just been over the road to the Apple store would have been unimpressed in comparison.

Old 15-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Serious 60

Very good ideas!

I like emphasis on community meets and space for hanging about.
The Nokia store was clearly an attempt at a finger up on the Apple store across the street. The plot was bought and no one really knew what to do with the store.
The store was cold, intimidating, dad at the trance club feel to it. A complete embarrassment from a company so insecure about its identity.