All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-12-2007, 02:37 PM

mmarks is on a distinguished road
How to blog

As well as VOIP (see previous post) I would also like to start bloggin gfrom my N95 (sending pictures, text thoughts etc)

I would like the possibility of sending information directly from the phone or from my PC if there is a lot of typing.

I have lifeblog on my N95 - is this the right tool? If so (or if not) what do I need on the N95 and are there any free blogging sites I can use to post my blogs? I set up a blog site at blogspot.com (part of google) but don't know if I can use this directly frm the phone.

I would love to start exploring this new fangled internet thingy!!!!! So, please help me.

Mike

Old 28-12-2007, 02:45 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
I have only just setup my own blog today, also on Blogger. Whilst I haven't done any mobile blogging yet, I have bookmarked THIS PAGE to read tonight maybe.

Not sure if any of it will work, or if there is any reference to an S60 app that may do it yet, but these are early days for me yet.....

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 28-12-2007, 02:51 PM

mmarks is on a distinguished road
Actually, it was your blog that persuaded me to do my own & use the same site you did!!!

Old 28-12-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarks View Post
Actually, it was your blog that persuaded me to do my own & use the same site you did!!!
Haha, nice one!

It was Ricky Cadden over at http://www.symbian-guru.com that inspired me to start mine up.

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 28-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Just posted a test item to my blog and it worked using the built in browser on my N95, which is good to know. I'm sure there is an app which will do it for me, but it's just a need to sit down and work it out.

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 28-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Ricky's a real nice guy... and seriously into his bloggin! HAHAH Good source of inspiration!

I use blogger too... its very easy, and has a pretty tight layout to post to from the N95.

Old 29-12-2007, 12:30 AM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

A good alternative is Vox it easy to set up an account and then via the share online app in the devcie you can send pictures direct from your gallery or Blog to it via the Web browser.

Marc

Old 29-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

yeah, as with flickr...

The only issue I have with the installed uploader is that you have to have the access point defined before you upload, otherwise it fails and sits in draft. Also, you can only upload the pic unless you catch it before the upload and add some text, otherwise you upload the pic and then launch the browser to add text via flickr/vox. Needs a bit of work IMHO.

Old 29-12-2007, 11:00 AM

AndyM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
I have only just setup my own blog today, also on Blogger. Whilst I haven't done any mobile blogging yet, I have bookmarked THIS PAGE to read tonight maybe.

Not sure if any of it will work, or if there is any reference to an S60 app that may do it yet, but these are early days for me yet.....
I had a look at that a while back, but the problem is that the mobile blogging uses MMS messages, so you will most likely get charged for them. (It is also supposed to use email, but I'm not sure which addresses will work. Not gmail or other general accounts.)

For sending items (mainly photos) to Blogger I use Shozu. This can prompt after every time you take a photo to upload it to a blog (it supports quite a few possible destinations, including facebook and Picasa).

I've also experimented with Vox, as recommended above; this is the best integrated, as you can make a full blog post on the phone and then upload it (and the photos are actually on the Vox site, as opposed to being links to another site which is what you get with Shozu).
Ads

Old 29-12-2007, 10:54 PM

Jay3gsm is on a distinguished road
You can post to blogs on blogger via email. In the settings, under email, there is a mail to blogger address. It is your blog address with a password in it, like this:

blogaddress.password@blogger.com

You can send items to your blog via that address. I made an example post on my personal blog here:

http://jay3gsm.blogspot.com/2007/12/nativity-scene.html

The subject of the email is the title of the post, and the body of the email becomes the blog post. Posts appear within minutes. For pictures blogger remembers your default settings, mine are set to medium so any picture you email is posted according to the settings, clicking on the pictures shows them in there full size.

Very easy to use, although if you send via a service such as Yahoo you do get the 'This email is sent via Yahoo' or whatever their tagline is added to the bottom of the blog post. I sent mine via Gmail which doesn't appear to do this.

Old 30-12-2007, 05:35 AM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
@kontraband

Not sure what you mean as on my devcie as soon as i select a picture to upload to Flickr i get an option above it to add text, and for Vox i get the option to add either description and or caption no need to go anywhere else all can be done directly from the app and is nice and simple and all from the Gallery once i select post to Web. Maybe this function doesn't appear if you are not posting to Vox or Flickr but posting to Vox has better options than Flickr and is all done once you activate the Share online app to set up your uploading options.

Marc

Old 31-12-2007, 09:27 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
i've a Wordpress blog and use my N95 to post pictures and text to that. I prefer Wordpress and with the blogging features of the N95 and its ftp capabilities I'm sorted.

Old 31-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmann View Post
@kontraband

Not sure what you mean as on my devcie as soon as i select a picture to upload to Flickr i get an option above it to add text, and for Vox i get the option to add either description and or caption no need to go anywhere else all can be done directly from the app and is nice and simple and all from the Gallery once i select post to Web. Maybe this function doesn't appear if you are not posting to Vox or Flickr but posting to Vox has better options than Flickr and is all done once you activate the Share online app to set up your uploading options.

Marc
My flickr doesnt work like that at all... from the gallery view when I click the globe icon to upload, it immediately goes to connecting and then commences upload?!?
I cant check the updates at the moment as I dont have wireless access where I am...