All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM

Radiosity is on a distinguished road
Advice on an E61 with broken features

Hi all, I'm looking for some opinions on an E61 I bought from ebay recently. Basically, the phone itself mostly works fine and overall I'm really liking it. Unfortunately though, certain important features appear to be broken and I'm wondering whether it's worth trying to get them fixed or not.
I don't want to send the phone back really as I like it a lot, but if these features don't work (and if they're going to cost me a fair amount of money to get fixed) then I guess I'll have to.

Anyway, the faults are as follows:

Bluetooth - Broken. Getting the well-known (after much searching of the nets) 'unable to perform bluetooth operation' message every time I try and switch it on.

Memory Card - Apparently broken. I've got 3 microSD cards, 128MB, 2GB, 4GB, and bought a miniSD adaptor so I could use the 4GB in the E61. The adaptor and all three cards work fine (in my 6300 and in my pc and eee card readers with the adaptor) but the E61 spits out a 'memory card corrupt' message with all three cards and refuses to format them either (System Error -21).

Cable Connection - Very broken. Since I already have two nokia phones (6300 and an N70) I have nokia suite installed at all times, so I just plugged the USB cable that came with the phone in and tried to detect the new phone. Doesn't work, windows XP gives an error (Hardware Malfunction, windows doesn't recognize the new hardware) when I try and connect the phone.
Thinking it was the cable at fault, I connected it to the N70 instead and it connected up first time with no problems, so the cable itself doesn't seem to be at fault.
I was hoping to reinstall the phone's software to fix the other problems... obviously without the cable connection that idea went straight out the window.

The guy I bought the phone from said it was all working just dandy in his listing on ebay, but apparently the moment it got to me all these problems manifested... so yeah, I'm guessing trying to get my money back is the way to go but eh, figured I might as well get some opinions from people who own the phone first

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Second Hand Issues

Of course it's up to you , and the kind of deal you made . It can be a hardware problem , or software , like hacked phone or corrupted files .
When you like to manupulate the Phone however you can do :
1) Set Connectivity > USB to Data Transfer , instead of PC Suite , and connect it to the PC to read the data .
2) Hard Reset , or better Vulcan death grip to restore the Phone to the original Firmware ( also called ROM or Z: ) , when this it not manupulated before by the former owner . See this thread : http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021
And see what happens . It should operate like new , except when there is a hardware problem .

Regards jApi NL

Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Radiosity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
Of course it's up to you , and the kind of deal you made . It can be a hardware problem , or software , like hacked phone or corrupted files .
When you like to manupulate the Phone however you can do :
1) Set Connectivity > USB to Data Transfer , instead of PC Suite , and connect it to the PC to read the data .
2) Hard Reset , or better Vulcan death grip to restore the Phone to the original Firmware ( also called ROM or Z: ) , when this it not manupulated before by the former owner . See this thread : http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021
And see what happens . It should operate like new , except when there is a hardware problem .

Regards jApi NL
Hi, thanks for the advice I've already tried both a soft and hard reset, neither did anything to help unfortunately. Checked the thread you linked and have tried most of those solutions already, except for the vulcan death grip (love the name lol). I'll try that and hope it does something. Otherwise I guess it's a return job, which sucks (great phone and a good price too, though at this point it seems the price was a little too good to be true heh).

Thanks

edit: ok, tried the vulcan death grip and the problems persist, so obviously it's hardware. Guess it's time to start the annoying process of contacting the seller and bugging him to give me a refund. Thanks again, much appreciated

edit2: Seems that vulcan death grip broke my nets on the phone. I can't get any websites to display characters correctly any more after doing it, they all display as boxes instead (apart from google funnily enough). Tried switching encoding types and done a soft/hard reset as well, and it's still doing it. All in all it seems the phone is well and truly broken.

Last edited by Radiosity; 08-08-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Ads