Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Unregistered

Angry Birds? Call me when EPIC decides to make a 3d engine for Symbian

Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
When was the last time Nokia released a product where people stood in line to be one of the first to own it? Hmmmm..... Never I think....
http://gizmodo.com/5558948/iphone-qu...nokia-c3-queue

Next bad argument please.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

Angry Publicidad Interesada!

Sr. Spence, vivo bien al sur del Planeta Tierra (Chile y Argentina) y el común de la gente llamada "cool" es arrastrada por las narices, por las llamadas notas tecnológicas extraídas de medios o bloggers norteamericanos que directamente promocionan la compra de productos Apple (Iphone, McBooks etc...), y que sin conocimiento técnico atacan o desmerecen los productos de la competencia sobre todo los de Nokia Symbian, y "casualmente" a favor de las marcas Apple o Andoid de Google.

La desinformación general de los usuarios y la mala fé de fabricantes hace que productos de mala calidad con groseros errores de fabricación(caso antena del iphone - Iphone es un teléfono celular, por lo menos asi se promociona) se siga vendiendo, con "condón" de regalo! para no ensuciarse las manos al tomar el dispositivo para hacer o responder una llamada telefónica! -
"Mienten, mienten - sus acólitos compran marca y ayudan a capturar nuevos "Cool User"
Ah!...sorry about the spanish!
Rino

Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When was the last time Nokia released a product where people stood in line to be one of the first to own it? Hmmmm..... Never I think....
Personally, I think that says a lot about the type of people who are prepared to stand in line to be the first to own it. Have you ever seen anything as pathetic as people doing high fives just because they have been "lucky" anough to be allowed to spend an absolute fortune on a phone which can't actually make phone calls when you hold it in your hand?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:11 PM

manual_ is on a distinguished road
You're free to think queuing to get an iPhone or any other product is pathetic.
It's one of the measures of it's success.
But saying iPhone can't make calls when you hold it in your hand surely tells a lot about your willingness to think logically;d
It has reception problems in some circumstances (there doesn't seem to be any rush of dissatisfied iPhone buyers returning it). But it's not equal to it "not being able to make calls when held in hand". You're stretching it to much.
Would you believe me if I tell you I've actually seen people making calls on iPhone4? And they held it in hand;d
Don't believe everything media tell you;d
Isn't this what this article is about?
Ads

Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 PM

kmmbd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would go with the
iPhone every time simply
because it does more and has a
more reliable eco-system. I
remember the week if not month
long problems of Ovi Sync, Ovi
Files not working properly and
let's not forget the multiple log-
ins just to access Ovi services.
Nokia had a head start on Apple
and they squandered it on
whatever they squandered it on.
Ovi is a joke when compared to
the Apple App Store. The Android
is getting its legs but they too
will surpass the Ovi offerings. I
have not even gone into the
ease of use features that
Android and Apple have over
Symbian...
I guess you need to visit a psychiatrist. I-phone does more than symbian? Is that a parallel universe you live in? To back-up the essentials on a symbian device you don't need any additional apps at the first place. Let me tell you how:
1. Contacts - Just mark all the contacts, select 'create backup from phone to memory card', you'll have a backup in the memory card. Then just zip the backup folder, put one copy on your pc, and then just mail another copy to your own mail address. You have a copy of all your contacts both on your HDD and in the cloud.
2. Calendar and other items- Connect the phone to your pc, choose 'synchronise' on the ovi suite application, it's all done. You can also backup on the phone by just backing up the phone memory on the memory card and restoring when needed.
Now tell me, which one is more hassle-free? Logging into a third-party service just to back things up, or doing it entirely from your 'smartphone'? The pick is yours...

Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmbd View Post
2. Calendar and other items- Connect the phone to your pc, choose 'synchronise' on the ovi suite application, it's all done. You can also backup on the phone by just backing up the phone memory on the memory card and restoring when needed.
You can even do it without Ovi Suite or Nokia PC Suite. I use Linux and sync/backup to Evolution (contacts, calendar, etc) via bluetooth with the sync app that came with my Linux distribution.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 PM
KPOM

I think the important number is "how many phones per day that people would not otherwise buy but for the OS."

I think Symbian's sales are largely ignored because they result largely from Nokia and not as a result of the OS. As such, developers don't see much to gain in developing for Symbian. Instead, Symbian is essentially becoming Nokia's new featurephone OS. Instead of using S40, they are using Symbian because it makes it easier for Nokia to provide their own Ovi services such as Maps, music and messaging. Nokia would sell the vast majority of those phones if they were equipped with S40, Bada, Android, or anything else, primarily because they compete in segments of the market that other companies choose not to (such as the low end where economies of scale are vitally important). There is little evidence to suggest that Nokia will have success in translating its low-end sales to higher-margin products at a later date.

The reasons Android and iOS get so much buzz is that the OS and available applications are the big attractions. Motorola was struggling until it got the Droid (and its successors). HTC hedges its bets by supporting multiple OSes, but it's also clear that it sees Android as something that attracts people to its phones. It could have selected Symbian, but didn't. Sony Ericsson and Samsung's respective decisions to cease developing Symbian phones does little to dispel the notion that Symbian is anything but Nokia's proprietary OS, however "open" it may be in theory.

It's pretty clear that high-end Symbian^3, Symbian^4 and MeeGo devices will need to stand on their own. If they sell well in their own right, then Nokia will be rewarded, and Symbian and MeeGo might attract additional developer support (and manufacturer support in Symbian's case). They just might sell extremely well, but it certainly isn't a given. N97 eventually "sold well" by raw sales numbers, but largely as a result of price cutting and not the merits of the phone itself. This simply cannot happen with N8 and N9, and I think Nokia realizes it. But whether they have arrived too late for the party or are beginning to turn their fortunes around remains to be seen.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:41 PM
KPOM

Quote:
You are spot on. Nokia is selling a lot but my only point is what are they selling? Cheap phones are what Nokia is synonymous with. When people think of Nokia, they do not see a premium brand, but a company selling cheap phones.
Exactly. It's a little like claiming McDonald's is the best hamburger because they sell more than anyone else.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:54 AM
Unregistered

Cool CloudForce 2 Platform

It is equally interesting to observe (as I noted yesterday) that Salesforce.com are focussing on iOS, Android and Blackberry... in their announcement yesterday, their new chatter mobile app does NOT support Symbian, which seems to be further nail.
I speak as a Symbian user and symbian lover, but I cannot help but notice the market dynamics in the corporate world.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:56 AM

kmmbd is on a distinguished road
Exactly, their are numerous ways to sync a symbian-powered phone. You're not tied to one software (e.g. i-tunes) and the stock windows/linux softwares work pretty well. You can also sync everything if you have MS Outlook. BTW, love the new look of the site. It seems much more organized. Now all you guys need to do is to put 'Disqus' as the comment engine.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:14 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_ View Post
You're free to think queuing to get an iPhone or any other product is pathetic.
It's one of the measures of it's success.
But saying iPhone can't make calls when you hold it in your hand surely tells a lot about your willingness to think logically;d
It has reception problems in some circumstances (there doesn't seem to be any rush of dissatisfied iPhone buyers returning it). But it's not equal to it "not being able to make calls when held in hand". You're stretching it to much.
Would you believe me if I tell you I've actually seen people making calls on iPhone4? And they held it in hand;d
Don't believe everything media tell you;d
Isn't this what this article is about?
I actually based my opinion on the hundreds of posts on the official Apple iPhone 4 forum from dissatisfied owners who COULDN'T make phone calls when holding their phone in their hand. When early Apple adopters are that unhappy then you really have got a problem, whatever the press say.