All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 07-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Face the fact, Symbian phones are not exciting nor do they make the users want to do things with the phone. This is the fact that continues to escape the "Nokia sells millions more phones" a month crowd. The phones they sell are not high-end phones and they simply continue to be boring, workman phones that no one is interested in just pulling out of their pocket to play with. .
Yep! That's the one - you are correct.

Because the VAST majority of phone users are not boring geeks that waste time poking their smartphones, they are actually normal humans with social lives and well.... lives.

They are not interested in ARM N-doodah and sad-git 3GL 3D acceleratorisers and capacitive-bum-tappers. They just want workman phones to do a basic task and then put straight away again so they can do something interesting.

I'll rewrite your first few words correctly:

"Face the fact, smartphones are not exciting"

Old 07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajck View Post

Some have suggested that Apple having more profits allows them to develop better products (i.e. making batter technology available to consumers) and make better acquisitions of other companies - all for the benefit of consumers. And yet, who are we seeing doing WAY more of that than Apple? Nokia. E.g. they bought Navteq and, bluntly, have given millions of poorer people very full featured free sat nav, not just on the high end (yep, high end) N8, but on the real cheapo 5800, 52xx series devices.
Interesting that my 60 TomTom unit complete with car power lead, cradle with window attachment and carry case was half the price of a 5800, and the TomTom is vastly superior.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Show me a competitor with the camera quality of an N8, the HDMI connectivity, the true Dolby 5.1 out, the WebTV, the USB on the Go, the media ability, the graphics power and so on.
I liked the way you cherry picked the heart of the post. Like most of the Symbian-nots, you are hung up on hardware. Do you really think that neither Apple nor Android can match Nokia hardware for hardware? Show me a Nokia service, starting with Ovi that simply does not suck. Ovi Files, gone, Ovi this or that, gone. Great, you have a "wonderful" phone with undetermined how crappy it is software, and no eco-system to back it up. Personally I don't think that neither Apple nor Android need to catch Nokia in terms of market share. Nokia is going for the bottom feeder markets and not selling premium phones while the other guys are selling in the higher paying markets. If Nokia had to compete with only one phone such as Apple or even with a few phones like Android, they would be blown off the map. What offering do you think Nokia can put forth to compete with the HTC Desire, or Galaxy S, or iPhone 4?

Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Interesting that my 60 TomTom unit complete with car power lead, cradle with window attachment and carry case was half the price of a 5800, and the TomTom is vastly superior.
And of course your TomTom can run thousands of downloadable apps, browser the web, make phone calls, has a camera with Carl Zeiss lens and flash, is light and pocketable, and so on and so on. As for the sat nav superiority bit - it's not superior in any meaningful way that makes it worth getting as a sat nav vs. Ovi Maps.

'nuff said

Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

geography

It would be interesting to place dots on a world map. Start with all major technology/mobile blogs. Or, lacking a physical workplace, their editors' locations. Finally add three more dots: Cupertino, Mountain View and Espoo.

Which dot is separated from the rest?

Old 07-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
..... What offering do you think Nokia can put forth to compete with the HTC Desire, or Galaxy S, or iPhone 4?
N8. Blows the rest away without even trying. Ecosystem? Nokia has it all - check the range of Ovi services. Whatever your opinion, millions are using them happily. Apps? Many apps on Ovi have had well over a million downloads.

Next!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
N8. Blows the rest away without even trying. Ecosystem? Nokia has it all - check the range of Ovi services. Whatever your opinion, millions are using them happily. Apps? Many apps on Ovi have had well over a million downloads.

Next!
I guess we'll see when it launches, if it ever does.
Ads

Old 07-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Reda EK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Face the fact, Symbian phones are not exciting nor do they make the users want to do things with the phone. This is the fact that continues to escape the "Nokia sells millions more phones" a month crowd. The phones they sell are not high-end phones and they simply continue to be boring, workman phones that no one is interested in just pulling out of their pocket to play with. The last phone that had this type of feel was the N95. The N86 was okay but abandoned. The same fate is on the horizon with the N8. Great hardware, same old boring OS and a complete lack of eco-system (Ovi has fail all over it). Android and Apple have proven that hardware with a good (excellent on Apple's part) eco-system is what matters. Users want more than just the ability to make phone calls or send text messages. They want a bit of flash on their phones and Nokia simply does not deliver this.
I'm afraid I agree with "unregistered" ;-) Can you honestly say that the majority buy a symbian phone to browse the internet and use the tons of apps that a new smartphone user is expecting in 2010? Of course there are some legacy utility apps that are quite good but the ecosystem is virtually zero now and if you think this is not a problem you are only kidding yourself I think. If you expect any service revenue from a user you really have to market it to the users that bought a smartphone to use it as a smartphone. Everybody else buy it because of other reasons and won't spend any further money. What happens if they don't spend on your services? Well, just look at n-gage and files on ovi

Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Great post Reda EK. You nailed it.

As a user of the iPhone and several Nokia's, I can say with confidence if I were forced to choose, I would go with the iPhone every time simply because it does more and has a more reliable eco-system. I remember the week if not month long problems of Ovi Sync, Ovi Files not working properly and let's not forget the multiple log-ins just to access Ovi services. Nokia had a head start on Apple and they squandered it on whatever they squandered it on. Ovi is a joke when compared to the Apple App Store. The Android is getting its legs but they too will surpass the Ovi offerings. I have not even gone into the ease of use features that Android and Apple have over Symbian. Just to make a test, take an iPhone or Android phone and give it to an older person. Ask them to make a phone call and see how long it takes. Do the same test with ANY Nokia phone and see how long it takes. The previous two OS's are for the common person that does not want to tweak or hope that they can get through the day without of memory errors or screen freezes while Symbian is for someone with a lot of patience, and who does not mind the constant annoyances that come bundled within.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
And of course your TomTom can run thousands of downloadable apps, browser the web, make phone calls, has a camera with Carl Zeiss lens and flash, is light and pocketable, and so on and so on. As for the sat nav superiority bit - it's not superior in any meaningful way that makes it worth getting as a sat nav vs. Ovi Maps.

'nuff said
No, not enough said. All that is completely missing the point. The point that I answered was the suggestion that the 5800 brough sat-nav into the hands of "poor people". Which is false because Sat-navs are cheap items, cheaper than phones.

And if I read any-more Dilbert-speak wank-words like "EcoSystem"! GRRRR! F***ing boring nurds.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Great post Reda EK. You nailed it.

As a user of the iPhone and several Nokia's, I can say with confidence if I were forced to choose, I would go with the iPhone every time simply because it does more and has a more reliable eco-system. I remember the week if not month long problems of Ovi Sync, Ovi Files not working properly and let's not forget the multiple log-ins just to access Ovi services. Nokia had a head start on Apple and they squandered it on whatever they squandered it on. Ovi is a joke when compared to the Apple App Store. The Android is getting its legs but they too will surpass the Ovi offerings. I have not even gone into the ease of use features that Android and Apple have over Symbian. Just to make a test, take an iPhone or Android phone and give it to an older person. Ask them to make a phone call and see how long it takes. Do the same test with ANY Nokia phone and see how long it takes. The previous two OS's are for the common person that does not want to tweak or hope that they can get through the day without of memory errors or screen freezes while Symbian is for someone with a lot of patience, and who does not mind the constant annoyances that come bundled within.
But I don't give a flying **** about any of these services. I might use them very occasionally.

BTW, some of these Android phones are bastards to work out how to make a call on. The Nokia phone with a keypad and a green "call" button is always easier for the older person to make a call on. "ANY" you said. Well I've tried your test with MY iPhone. The older person has to press a physical button, slide to unlock, then find the green "phone" touch screen button at the bottom to be faced with a screen full of contacts. Then they have to press the keypad button at the bottom. Watching them figure out how to end the call was hilarious.

Physical number pad is far more intuitive.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda EK View Post
the ecosystem is virtually zero i
Lie.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, not enough said. All that is completely missing the point. The point that I answered was the suggestion that the 5800 brough sat-nav into the hands of "poor people". Which is false because Sat-navs are cheap items, cheaper than phones.
I think you are missing the point too. Particularly with regards the Third World. Yes! A world does exist outside the United States and Europe and quite a lot of people live there and buy mobile phones.

I have yet to see a Tom Tom mounted on a motorbike for example. Not to say that it cannot be done

Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

And if I read any-more Dilbert-speak wank-words like "EcoSystem"! GRRRR! F***ing boring nurds.
Depends on the Sat-nav unit, but for the most part you are correct.

As for eco-system, you may not like the term but it is what it is.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Lie.
The iPhone and Android influence reflects USA culture very well, there people expect to be spoon-fed and prefer not to put effort in. It's like their auto-cars versus Euro manual gearboxes. To them the stick-shift and clutch pedal is a terrible user interface. To the european it makes you more of a driver, and you put in a small amount of effort and practice and shifting become second-nature and you forget you are declutching and moving the gear lever.

Same with phones, Nokia, even the old Symbian isn't very difficult to use, if you just choose to engage a small amount of cerebral activity. People should try it more often, it does you good. Just like your body the brain, if not exercised, will become lardy and fat and gorged on a billion MaciPhone calories and App Store fries washed down with fl.oz's of sugar-syrup iTunes coke.

Unfortunately this dumbing down - drive-thru culture is affecting europe now too. I admire those nations such as France that are putting up some resistance. Alas even they are succumbing to the lard-arse land where those electric carts carry the obese through Disney parks.