All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 14-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Renewed Sports Tracker on Ovi Store for Nokia's touch phones

New in the Nokia Ovi Store is Sports Tracker, from Sports Tracking Technologies (STT). STT is the company founded by Jussi Kaasinen and Ykä Huhtala, who originally created Sports Tracker for Nokia as part of a Nokia Research project, to spin the concept out into a separate company. For those that remember the old Sports tracker, this has all the usual track and workout logging facilities, plus mapping, courtesy of OpenStreetMap (and loaded ad-hoc) and extras like a countdown to sunset, and additional export options. Links, comments and screens below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
Great news! I almost gave up on sportstracker, but hope they can now revitalise it

Old 14-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

N79 Active left behind

So the old phones and users with N79 Active get left behind.

I am just glad that the old sports tracker on my n79 active still works, but who knows how long they will support the old service.

Using openstreetmaps is a good choice though.

Old 14-04-2010, 07:57 PM

jmvdinis is on a distinguished road
The previous maps were better... No so good looking, but with more details in landfield roads...

We still can't import tracks from another systems (like gpx or kml)... For someone that used sportstracker as GPS this is very usefull, because you can make a track that your friends (without Nokias) have done before...
We can't add activities...

But, this is just the start!

Sportstraker is looking really good.
We can still use simultaneously the previous versions.

Old 14-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

good to see this updated. i'm very fond of sports tracker.

i have noticed though that it is not too accurate. when running with a friend with a garmin gps watch sports tracker says i've run further! i've also downloaded endomondo to run side by side with sports tracker on the same run and i get the same differing results. so for more accurate results, endomondo is better. hopefully sports tracker can tighten up the algorithms they use, to match endomondo.

regards,

aidan

btw off topic, does anyone know when the Nokia n8 will be launched/ announced?

Old 14-04-2010, 08:24 PM

Dead1nside is on a distinguished road
I'm so glad that they've released a new version (although since I use an N82 I'd have liked to see 3rd Edition support).

The online services are really key to it as well.

One thing I don't get is the limited support for the heart rate monitor. You cannot buy the Polar one from Nokia, it is only packaged up with the N79. Polar also have refused to sell the bluetooth heart rate monitor separately.

I really hope that they do a version for MeeGo/Maemo.

Old 14-04-2010, 09:26 PM

jamoiholland is on a distinguished road
I'd echo that it is a shame that there's no 3rd Edition support, as an N79 user, and that whilst the old Nokia version still works and the online service is still going, at some point it will no doubt disappear in future. One of the reasons I got rid of my 5230 within 3 weeks of purchase was that Sports Tracker wasn't working. Having said that, the screen was so bad I went back to my N79 anyway!!

Old 14-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Unregistered

Great!, Hope the boys behind Nokia Internet Radio do something similar.

Old 14-04-2010, 09:54 PM
dannieboy69

compatible with other brands

Will this application work with the Sony Ericsson Satio and Samsung Omnia HD?

Bugs me no end when an application will not run on either these two phones yet use the same operating system without hacking the phone. Madness!

Old 14-04-2010, 10:08 PM
VoReason

How is it madness? Why do you expect Nokia to allow their applications to work on Samsung or Sony Ericsson phones?

Seriously, what you said was silly.

Old 14-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Unregistered

if you have a satio or non nokia phone, use endomondo, it's more accurate!

it has all the features sports tracker has and i think overtaken it to be honest. i have a nokia n82 and i only use endomondo as sports tracker is really out.

aidan

Old 14-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

I don't know about this new version, but previous versions of Nokia's Sportstracker work on hacked i8910's and Satios...
Ads

Old 14-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Unregistered

Does anyone know any other third party bluetooth heartrate monitors that work with this new version of sports tracker? Seeing as the original "polar for nokia" is not for sale and impossible to get, i wonder if another one is compatible.

Old 15-04-2010, 01:51 AM

Dead1nside is on a distinguished road
I don't think there are many bluetooth heart rate monitors. It's very puzzling the whole situation. I've only done research into the Polar one, and I'm sure if there was an alternative for use with Sports Tracker somebody would've mentioned it in those threads -- sucks I know.

Old 15-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Unregistered

I have the Zephr HXM bluetooth heart rate monitor, great piece of kit, unfortunately doesn't work with Sportstracker (hopefully they will sort it out sometime). Works with eCoach on the N900, and the spectacular Run.gps on Android and Windows Mobile (I currently have it on my HD2, and as a longtime Sportstracker user I have to say that Run.gps owns Sportstracker).