All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-03-2011, 03:06 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
HDR photo Camera App upgraded on Ovistore

Hi All

HDR Photo Camera

The developer of HDR Photo APP has uploaded a new version (2.01)to the ovistore (but apparently if you have already purchased before Feb 7th you might have to pay again - I believe this to be Ovistores fault not the developers) so its best to check.

Initially at 8 this app appears pricey but it is now getting very near to providing auto bracketing on the N8 which in contrast to my DSLR equipment costs is not too bad.

The new version as many improvements - particularly auto focus and fusing large images (the previous fused versions were limited).You can also vary both exposure levels and bracketing speed for different light levels. V2 also includes the use of the device camera button if prefered.The on screen button also automatically focuses shot and displays a 2 second countdown prior to bracketing.The 3 exposures levels can be set individually and give a preview of variation which is useful. Also there are fusion filters to vary contrast,brightness etc. All images are neatly saved in a HDR folder on your mass memory and can be viewed in photo browser from within app.

I have only tested for a few minutes so cannot give a detailed review.But overall my initial test in daylight are very favourable .A comparison between changing manual exposures in default camera app at -+2 EV are probably nearer to -+3EV on HDR Photo Camera - again only tested in daylight.

It has been suggested there are limits with camera development tools to how `aperture priority` is set so I do not know if the 3 exposures have a set aperture giving a constant focal depth to all 3 images - I will contact the developer to clarify this point.

There is a guide and sample images at this link: http://www.hdrphotocamera.com/

Camera Pro

While on the subject the developer of Camera Pro is currently upgrading his app on Ovi store ( I do not think it is uploaded yet) which has loads of camera enhancements for the N8 including 11x zoom and jpeg raw output (its worth it just for this option ) - the auto bracketing option does not work very well but is really worth the 3 for all the other numerous options.Saving presets is very simple in this app. For full list of functions go to this

link: http://www.tequnique.com/wb/pages/pr.../camerapro.php

I stress I am only a keen amateur - so apologies up front if anything above is technically incorrect.

All I need now is a new phone case with a fold out tripod !

Boothy

Last edited by boothy; 15-03-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Old 17-03-2011, 03:24 AM

jake20 is on a distinguished road
I am NOT impressed at all with the HDR sample images on their website.
They look awful to me. They look like regular snaps to me (even worse in some cases), and not at all of good HDR quality.

I want to see some good/better high Quality HDR images from this software before in plunk down my $10 on this expensive app..

Regarding the CameraPro N8 app...

Here are 2 HDR images i created using the bracketing feature on Harald Meyer's CameraPro N8 app, and Photomatix desktop software to fuse them.
His latest version is much better with the bracketing as you can see by my HDR shots.

and a different angle out in the sun more...

Last edited by jake20; 17-03-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Old 17-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Hi Jake 20

I think the majority of the images on the HDR photo website are handheld shots fused on device .Extracting bracketed images and processing in a third party app like photomatix is probably not a fair comparison.

For your reference I have produced a quick comparision of the 2 apps bracketed output (the HDR Photo Camera example was set at -+ 3 EV)
Please note the samples were all hand held.

In exposure range terms you can clearly see the variation in the HDR photo samples yet the camera pro samples are virtually alike - I know this is a visual comparison and not a `technical `comparison of image data but would suggest that there is more chance of at this moment of producing a greater range in HDR Photo.

I stress I have no affiliation to either developer and am certain that Harald the developer of the camera pro app will rise to the challenge - both these apps have been only on the market for weeks and they have improved a lot in this time.

Camera Pro is really good value for money and a brilliant camera app but at the moment if I want to produce 3 bracketed exposures for fusion later I will definately use the HDR Photo app.

I am really busy at the moment so have not had much chance to test thoroughly since V2 only came out at the start of the week - but I will post some samples when I can (I doubt our English weather will do justice to your images!) - I have also uploaded a very quick sample I did earlier in the week which I processed in photomatix

Thanks

Boothy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compare-HDR1.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	5007   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR-photo-camera-v2-sample.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	5008  

Last edited by boothy; 17-03-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Old 17-03-2011, 01:17 PM

thanks for the samples boothy.
What version of the Camera Pro app are you using?

I am using the latest version sent to me by the dev (not in Ovi store) v1.1.0
and you can now manually set the bracketing exposure levels, and can clearly get 3 different ranges now. previously all 3 shots would look similar.

I would still like to see some more images produced by that HDR app if you can post them.
I am just not sold on that app yet.

thanks!

Old 17-03-2011, 06:45 PM

``I am using the latest version sent to me by the dev (not in Ovi store) v1.1.0
``
No I am using v1.08 - Harald did send me an update last week but nothing new yet - I will contact him later

Thanks

Boothy

Old 18-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Hi jake 20

Harald as sent me the latest version and yes the EV settings does seem to help the exposure variation a lot - unfortunately its late here and I have only tried briefly indoors. Its really useful also to be able to take 5 bracketed shots - the time lapse between seems incredibly\worryingly quick (I am not sure about this - its very quick compared to bracketed shots on my D5000 but the N8 does have a max limit to exposure so this is probably where the range is a little reduced. With havinng 5 exposures available it would be even better to stretch the range to -+3 EV but I am probably being greedy - I have been waiting for an HDR app for ages and just like waiting for English buses - 2 come along at the same time !

Cheers

Boothy
Ads

Old 19-03-2011, 02:51 AM

Hi Boothy,
What version of cameraPro are you running now? My version (1.10) only takes 3 bracketed pictures.

Does your version take 5?

Old 19-03-2011, 11:50 AM

Hi Jake20

Yes I am using v1.10 and it does have the option to set 3\5 exposures with individual exposure settings for each.I tried to create a screen grab but all relevant apps seem to use camera button which conflicts with camera app

Boothy

Old 19-03-2011, 04:32 PM

oh yea, i see it now.. i didnt even realize that you could toggle between 3/5 photos..
Harald really needs to put out an instruction manual for this app.

Will be testing it out today, and will post back some shots..

Old 19-03-2011, 05:10 PM

I totally agree about the help file\manual - the setting icons are really neat and very clever but so easy to miss if you are not aware of them in the first place It is very neat that you can tap numbers to adjust inputs up and down for example but would never realise if had not touched by accident.

The exposures do not seem to be saved in the consecutive order ?

I am still getting a better exposure range with HDR Camera has I can set to -+3 certainly on the over exposure anyway - again still busy and not enough time to get out and test properly.But this is not always the best in picture terms.

On the HDR app the photo browser opens within the app and the images are saved to a separate HDR folder within images folder and bracketed exposures are named in sets which is a lot neater particularly if you are taking a lot of bracketed shots and you wish to identify in sets later for input to photomatix.

Camera Pro still very good though - its good to have both apps.

I have also just ordered a joby gorilla mobile tripod to see if its any good with the N8 - I use a larger SLR Zoom version with my DSLR but thought if the `suction cup`idea works it would be a handy pocket size tripod and useful for some extended bracketed shots.

Cheers

Boothy

Old 19-03-2011, 09:19 PM

I use this tripod.. its works well. i don't trust suction cup method..
http://www.sourcingmap.com/portable-...d-p-11895.html

What I did, is buy the Joby torch light, and I took the Phone bracket from the above tripod and screwed it onto the Joby bendable tripod
Now i have the best of both.. secure bracket for my N8 on the Joby bendable tripod body!
I can take a pic if you wanna see.

Here is another HDR produced using 5 bracketed images from CamerPro.
The results are good, but not using a tripod clearly caused some "Blur" in the grass, but the 5 exposure levels clearly help a lot to get a good range of contrast.
CameraPro does the job there. If I could get results similar to this all from my N8 without the need for desktop software, from that $10 HDR Ovi store app, i would buy it in a second!

Original

HDR

Last edited by jake20; 19-03-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Old 19-03-2011, 10:07 PM

Hi Jake 20

I just liked the idea of suction cup (if it works ) as it was so small and should fit in a pocket

The weather looks good there! your HDR sample seems more on the `tone`mapping`side rather than `fusion` the HDR Camera app only really replicates the fusion side. Also the max fusion image size in app due to time of processing is 2048x1152.

I only really want app to process in photomatix later - it takes long enough to process on my i7 overclocked desktop already - I would not like to guess how long it would take on the N8

Boothy

Old 19-03-2011, 11:01 PM

Yea, its over 80 degrees here in south florida already..

Ok, here is the same shot but this time i fused the 5 bracketed shots with Photomatix.. not HDR
I think i like the fused look better, as its more natural, and no ghosting or blurring.

Old 23-03-2011, 03:49 PM

do you know what the changelog is?

Old 29-03-2011, 07:31 PM

trying out latest version of this app.. its seems to work pretty good for doing all the work on your phone.

of course the max resolution for fused images is only like 1500x1100