All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Talvi is on a distinguished road
Question Wot? No text editors?!

I desperately need a simple plain text editor, one that creates a single file, in Mass Storage, for each note/document I write. I would then be able to write on my mini and easily copy across each note I write to my PC, either singly or in batches, for editing, development, grouping etc.

I would like the app to have filing capabilities but I think I could do this with another app (eg Xplore?). It would be great to be able to quickly insert the current date/time in the note, but I this would be a luxury. (I don't want inserted dates to auto-update!)

On the face of it, this should be a walk in the park right? But it ain't! DEdit was recommended but it doesn't work on the Mini even after getting around the out of date sig. Others I have found store the notes so that they can only be transferred by email or MMS, or backed up or synched with Outlook.

I already have nearly 50 notes on my Mini, so copying them across to my laptop for filing/editing/etc is already a pain, as each needs to be beamed by BT first to another phone and then to the PC!!!

I'm desperate and would really appreciate your suggestions

Old 19-02-2011, 05:46 PM

I've found LightNotepad. Pretty good .... could do with some tweaking but deals with the basic problems of the Notes prog.
Ads

Old 19-02-2011, 06:32 PM

gjd is on a distinguished road
Hello

My Mini came with Active Notes. I can attach photos, music or files, and send the notes via mms, bluetooth or email.

I can set a note to appear when a particular person calls.

Very useful, but haven't seen it in Ovi.
(Tried Ovi - doesn't work!)
Bluetooth Hands free via the iO Play

Old 27-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Hi
Yes I got ActiveNotes too, but emailing etc introduces too many extra steps making it too cumbersome to use regularly and frequently. I don't need the functionality of ActiveNotes at the moment but for what you suggest it could be useful at some point. Thanks.

Old 28-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Hi bnerobi13, this thread is about a software program, but .... to research becoming a book editor start by assuming that you are already a book editor and then try to find a "new" job as a book editor. Searching for the work will give you the answers to your question. Bear in mind that things are changing regarding books and publishing generally so you need to look at the industry in general too.
Hope that helps.