All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-03-2010, 04:19 AM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
where to put text alerts sounds

Hi, i have a few funny text message alert sounds that i want to set up in my general profile.

Despite putting them in both digital and simple sound folders in each location, they don't show up as an option, although funnily enough music player finds them and plays them just fine.

Can anyone provide a step by step guide for allocating message and ringtone to the phone.

I'm sure i did it just fine before the last upgrade, but i can't seem to manage it now!

Cheers

Old 28-03-2010, 08:23 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
As for ring tones, as well as message tones, this posting may help:-

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=93639

It's relatively easy to select the ring tones but message tones have to be selected from Profiles and Personalise.

For some strange reason, on my handset, I'm not presented with sounds in alphabetical order this way and it requires a lot of scrolling sometimes to locate my message tones.

Therefore I have prefixed my message with "((". See Scr000037.

This means that, prior to hiding the message tones, they appear at the beginning of the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000037.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	4799  

Old 28-03-2010, 10:12 AM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
What i did was, Profiles>General (or the profile of your choise)>Personalise>Ring Tone> Songs> All songs

Assuming you have put the song/tone in either digital or simple folder. Your tone/song will show up as a option.

Last edited by ajeet; 28-03-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Old 28-03-2010, 10:21 AM

I've posted you a reply riverboat... but the dreaded spam/oscenity filter has got me.

Old 28-03-2010, 12:11 PM

bang bang boom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
I've posted you a reply riverboat... but the dreaded spam/oscenity filter has got me.
haha u always seem to be got lol

i've been caught by that once... What actually happends? Just gets moderated?

Old 28-03-2010, 12:27 PM

I forgot to buy kontraband a drink at Christmas.

Last edited by ironass; 28-03-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Old 28-03-2010, 08:14 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
Hi, i have a few funny text message alert sounds that i want to set up in my general profile.

Despite putting them in both digital and simple sound folders in each location, they don't show up as an option, although funnily enough music player finds them and plays them just fine.

Can anyone provide a step by step guide for allocating message and ringtone to the phone.

I'm sure i did it just fine before the last upgrade, but i can't seem to manage it now!

Cheers

Hi i have had trouble with this because i want the tones but not have to listen to them on music player!

I have a long winded and impratical workaround which is this:-

i have found .midi and .mid files will go into e:\sounds\digital folder

and

.mp3 need to go in e:\sounds\simple folder

To initially select an mp3 you will need to ensure the attributes of these (mp3) files are set that they are picked up by the system to select as ring / text tones then once selected as the ring tone you will then change its attributes so it does not appear in the music player menu.

I did it like this:-
using Y browser place ringtone mp3 file in the simple folder>highlight file>press options>file>attributes> mark system as no, hidden as no and read only as no> save and exit.

Goto profiles menu and find tone - after selecting the tone you want via settings>profiles> select profile eg general>personalise> and either tones, songs or sounds - i find mp3's generally appear in songs>all songs - select it and exit the menu. This is now set as your ringtone.

To stop it being selected in the music player find the file and navigate to the files attributes and change the system option to yes

This will result in the file still being the ringtone and not showing in music player, but if you now change this ringtone and then want to reinstate it you will not find it via the profiles menu!

You will have to go back and change the system setting to no, etc, etc, etc!!!!

So like i said long winded and a right pain but it means you keep the tones on your phone to change and use but they dont spoil your music listening karma!

If anyone has a better way please tell me!

Old 28-03-2010, 09:57 PM

That's the only way I know how to hide them.

Which I alluded to in the posting on this thread that seems to have been lost in the mists of time and the AAS spam/obscenity filter.

It pointed riverboat to my posting here:-

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=93639

which, under "Installation" describes your method of hiding pesky ringtones and message alerts from the Music Gallery.

Old 28-03-2010, 10:00 PM

"I don't believe it!"

My reply to turtle power's posting has been nobbled by the AAS spam/obscenity filter.

Old 29-03-2010, 06:55 AM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
"I don't believe it!"

My reply to turtle power's posting has been nobbled by the AAS spam/obscenity filter.
you've definately upset someone!