All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Tosh1977 is on a distinguished road
N95-8GB shortcut button

I have just transferred all my data from my old N95-1 to the 8gb version. All fine. Seems quicker etc except one of my favourite functions of my old N95 phone was the shortcut button (best described as the button to the right of the navigation pad).

This button when pressed up brought up a kind of bookmark section where my fav appscould be accessed quickly and i could amend the list as i pleased, however, on the 8gb version this button brings up 8 pre-defined apps suc as contacts,music player etc and i cant seem to edit/amend/remove/add from this list like i could on my old phone.

Can anybody suggest a practical way around this as this is very annoying and renders this button practically useless to me.

Old 14-08-2008, 02:14 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh1977 View Post
I have just transferred all my data from my old N95-1 to the 8gb version. All fine. Seems quicker etc except one of my favourite functions of my old N95 phone was the shortcut button (best described as the button to the right of the navigation pad).

This button when pressed up brought up a kind of bookmark section where my fav appscould be accessed quickly and i could amend the list as i pleased, however, on the 8gb version this button brings up 8 pre-defined apps suc as contacts,music player etc and i cant seem to edit/amend/remove/add from this list like i could on my old phone.

Can anybody suggest a practical way around this as this is very annoying and renders this button practically useless to me.
A quick press of the Media key brings up something similiar, although not fully configurable. It lists Contacts,Music, Gallery, Videos, Games, Internet and Maps.

Old 14-08-2008, 03:41 PM

argh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh1977 View Post
Seems quicker etc except one of my favourite functions of my old N95 phone was the shortcut button (best described as the button to the right of the navigation pad).
The one that brings up the scrolling menu with 3d icons?

Interesting - it's probably the only button on the phone that I never use - at least someone is, which gives it a reason to be there

I put my most used apps on the standby screen (6 apps on the menu bar, 2 apps on the soft keys), and arrange the others in the other menu (to the left of the navigation pad) which loads practically instantly and allows movement in 2 dimensions (up/down as well as left/right), so you can get to more apps in less keypresses. You can rearrange those icons and move them out of deep folders to the top level for apps you use commonly.

I find the scrolling menu to be slow and use up quite a bit of memory on the N95-1 (sometimes shutting down other applications in the background). I suppose that this is much less of a problem on the N95 8GB though, with more memory.

Sorry that I can't be of any help, I just didn't know that other people used that button!
Ads

Old 14-08-2008, 04:09 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
the new multi media menu is not customizable like the old one was. you cant add apps to it. however i DO find it way more useful. for example i set my 5 most used web sites, so that takes care of web browser. i set my 5 most used contacts. but most of the other windows are not really useful. it would be great if they gave 1 window to add apps to it.

Old 14-08-2008, 07:10 PM

Tosh1977 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your responses. Ill check out the shortcuts you suggested and see if i cant make use of the functions behind the media key. I just miss being able to add my own ones there but maybe ill just customise the rest of the phone instead.

Thanks again.

Old 16-08-2008, 02:04 AM

mrbranch is on a distinguished road
how about bluetooth key? how can it be configured such that upon long press on the "0" key, BT is activated/deactivated. My e51 has this feature.

Old 16-08-2008, 06:45 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
N series phones dont have the bluetooth shortcut. 0 opens the browser with long press. # key changes profile. but * key does not turn on BT...only on E series. you have to set a shortcut for BT if you use it a lot. that's what i do.

Old 18-08-2008, 05:40 PM

flapmio is on a distinguished road
Thanks to this post i've been able to configure my standby apps.
Is there a way to add or change the 'list' that is under the standby icons:
'Search: Internet and My content'
'No calendar...'
'WLAN: scanning....'

Almost reminds me of the home screen on Windows Mobile phones....

Old 19-08-2008, 08:46 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
N series phones dont have the bluetooth shortcut. 0 opens the browser with long press. # key changes profile. but * key does not turn on BT...only on E series. you have to set a shortcut for BT if you use it a lot. that's what i do.
That's right it doesn't. Instead I use BTswitch and set it to one of my standby buttons. At a press it turns on/off my bluetooth at will.

Where is it? Check the good/best apps sticky

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 19-08-2008, 10:59 PM

Burcrim is on a distinguished road
I use Best Profile and set one of the profiles to have BT on by default - named it "car". Whenever I get in the car I just press the top on/off button and select "car" profile.

Couple more clicks that zxon's method but saves using a standby button.