All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-11-2006, 03:35 PM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
Question after restoring phone, apps are missing

Yesterday I did the firmware upgrade for the E61. I back upped my date first on my card and restored it afterwards and it worked well, all the settings and pictures etc were returned but the folders I made for my apps and games were empty. Also the installation folder was almost empty. Only biz SW and zip were there. When I opened the app manager I couldn't find them, but what I noticed was a lot of strange names like a0000c49.sis and a0000bc9.sis and a lot of combinations like that with a0000xxx.sis stated not installed, when I try to install it, it doesn't do anything.
But I know the apps (or the data) are on the card, because it still has 20mb left on my 64mb card but can't open the apps anymore. Does someone know what needs to be done?

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900
Ads

Old 05-11-2006, 04:04 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Li0n
Yesterday I did the firmware upgrade for the E61. I back upped my date first on my card and restored it afterwards and it worked well, all the settings and pictures etc were returned but the folders I made for my apps and games were empty. Also the installation folder was almost empty. Only biz SW and zip were there. When I opened the app manager I couldn't find them, but what I noticed was a lot of strange names like a0000c49.sis and a0000bc9.sis and a lot of combinations like that with a0000xxx.sis stated not installed, when I try to install it, it doesn't do anything.
But I know the apps (or the data) are on the card, because it still has 20mb left on my 64mb card but can't open the apps anymore. Does someone know what needs to be done?
UPDATE: before doing ANYTHING on your phone, synchronize with Outlook so that at least your contacts and calendar entries are safe.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Nokia's backup systems. IJDW (It Just Doesn't Work).

I had this same problem when i updated the firmware on my E61.

First, none of your Java applications that were installed on your memory card are going to work anymore. So just re-install them.

Then, for the native apps, here is what i think these strange sis file are:

Each application on your phone has a unique ID. I believe that those strange names that you can see in the application installer are the unique IDs of the applications that are still there but won't show up anymore because the firmware update f***** up something in the way applications are handled. In order to restore your applications, you need to install those strange sis file manually one by one. So go to the application installer, select each one of them and choose Options -> Install. There will be 3 cases:

- some applications are going to be re-installed fine and their sis file will disapear from the application installer.
- other applications willl fail to install and the sis file will remain in the application installer
- sometimes, it just won't do anything at all.

In the last 2 cases, you will need to re-install the applications manually form scratch. The funny thing though is that since they failed to re-install automatically, their strange sis files will remain in the installer application. And guess what? You can't remove these sis files from there. There is no "Remove" or "Delete" command in the application installer. So you can't install those sis files but you can't delete them either. They're there and they're there to stay.

So the solution to delete these sis files is to
- write down their names
- connect you phone to a PC in USB mass storage mode
- on the PC, search the card for files and folders that contain the application ID in it (for example, search for a0000bc9). Do not forget to search for hidden files and folders as well.
- Delete all those files and folders (this will effectvely delete the entire application for your memory card). You'd better actually copy these files and folders on you PC first so that you can restore them if something went wrong.
- That's it. Your applications are now deleted and their sis files won't show up anymore in the application installer. You can now re-install them from scratch.

Given that you've only got a 64MB card, i suppose that you do not have that many apps installed on it. So it might be quicker and easier to simply reformat the card and re-install everything from scratch.

Last edited by elp; 05-11-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:53 PM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
Wow thanks for clearing that up. I only need to re-install 2 apps

I have indeed the standard/original 64mb card which is almost full but one of the days I will buy a 1gb or 2gb card but offcourse that 64mb card needs to be working well also. And it is also nice for other people to read your brilliant solution if they come up with the same issue as we had.

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900

Old 15-06-2008, 08:50 PM

Mferkoo is on a distinguished road
THANX! you saved my day!