All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 80

Old 05-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Handy Weather v5 keeps up the same high standard

You'll remember that we've looked at Epocware's Handy Weather before, giving both the original S60 3rd Edition version and that for UIQ 3 well deserved AAS MegaApp awards. And now they've gone and improved it again, adding weather maps and streamlining the interface. Still a MegaApp? You bet, it's still one of the stars in the Symbian OS firmament - here's my review of Handy Weather version 5.01.

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Thats impressed me so much Im going to buy it. Also a huge boon that its only around 2k per city for an update, rather crucial being on a poxy 160mb a month limit.

Definatly one of the better S60 apps out there.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:58 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
True, a mega app and one I've been running since my N80. However, one area this new version has taken a backwards step is that of additional cities. Previous versions let you create custom cities, configurable by Long/Lat details. V5 however only lets you pick from a set of cities, with no user configuration at all. Whilst previously I was able to put my home town in, this is no longer possible and I have to pick one 20 miles away. Not as good, especially when it now shows a different name for my Home as well.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Does it make a difference though? Surely the weather results would be the same as the nearest city/town anyway as it wouldnt have any extra data if you gave it a closer location?

Would be nice if you could rename the town/city though.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:55 AM

For a perfectionist weather geek like me, yes. ;-) Especially as I know there is a weather station used by the BBC in the locality. And, 20 miles is sufficiently far enough away to produce different weather, as well as topographical differences that can create micro climate changes. Not to mention being able to change the name so it shows my Home correctly.

But I do like the maps. Nice seeing pressure maps so I can work out likely wind direction changes.

PS Steve, you took a while to review this. Can't think how long I've been running it for now ;-)

Old 05-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

I thought it would only use the weather stations it knows of, so if the provider is accuweather, they wouldnt nessercarily know about the one nearer you. i.e. you'd put in the closer location, but it would be the same weather station used by the nearest result in the towns/cities list.

Or doesnt it work that way?
Ads

Old 05-03-2008, 01:26 PM

gdroth is on a distinguished road
Handy Weather 5.0

How do you get the screensaver? I've looked at the Help and gone through the menu options repeatedly. I remember it working for me in an earlier version. Otherwise, a great program and worth the money.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

For screensaver -

settings - themes - power saver.

'Weather' should be in there.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:32 PM

You're probably right. I never examined it too closely but it did seem to give different weather when inputing long/lat details. Maybe they've changed their data acquisition methods/providers. Either way, I'd like home to be my home, not a town 20 miles away.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

One thing I really would like, which may stop me from buying it is that it doesnt have an announce feature.

With worldmate, the weather function has a feature where at a user set time, it will display the current weather forcast. I have it set so that it comes on at 5 in the morning (I leave the voice set to off). So when I wake up, I have the weather forcast displayed on my phone, rather than having to go into a menu.

Sounds trivial, but its a very useful function.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
That's the point behind the screensaver - the forecast is ALWAYS on your screen everytime you glance down etc.

8-)

Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Not mine, I just get a black screen after a while. Im not sure where the option is to keep it alive.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:43 PM

What phone you running this on? On my N95 the screensaver stays visible all the time, albeit in lowly black and white, but certainly visible all the time.Without needing to launch the app to get a forecast and constantly have an up to date forecast on the screen is great.

Edit - just seen your sig and remembered you don't have an N95 ;-) Maybe your phone's powersave cuts the screen completely. An alternative is to use BestProfiles to auto-launch it so that it's running when you wake up. But then you'd have to buy that too :-)

Last edited by chrsfrwll; 05-03-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

6110, cant find any option for it to keep it on. Shame, looks like worldmate is going to win this one.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

To get Weather as Screensaver do as follow:
Menu/Themes//Powersaver and choose Weather