All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Public Beta of Red Five Labs Net60

Red Five Labs has announced the launch of a public beta for Net60. Net60 is a .NET Compact Framework implementation for S60 devices. It enables Windows Mobile applications developed using C# and Visual Basic .NET to run unchanged on S60 devices. The current beta is aimed at system integrators and independent software vendors who are interested in using the product.

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-10-2007, 05:08 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Start of a new Era

this is the start of a new era in mobile usage, this is one of those apps that would blur the differences between different OSs. happy to know that Symbian gets it first

Old 14-10-2007, 09:06 AM

luarvique is on a distinguished road
Quote:
this is the start of a new era in mobile usage, this is one of those apps that would blur the differences between different OSs.
Umgh... Probably not

Old 14-10-2007, 09:31 AM

godeassi is on a distinguished road
It's certainly an interesting development, but the Red Five Labs website has very little real information on it (there's a lot of marketing dross though).

The question that immediately springs to my mind is, how does this .NET implementation handle Symbian's restricted capability model? If the answer is, 'Err...it doesn't', then the potential for writing genuinely powerful applications using this framework is drastically reduced.

Also, it only seems to support version 1.0 of the .NET compact framework (I believe version 2.0 is the current version), so that may be another significant limitation.

Still, with a beta release imminent, these questions should be answered relatively soon. Conceptually, the idea of this product appeals to me a lot, but its true value will be entirely determined by the strength of its execution (not to mention its pricing model, which is glossed over rather quickly on the website).

Old 14-10-2007, 02:42 PM

Tam Hanna is on a distinguished road
Hi,
as a .net developer for PocketPC myself, I think that the main problem will be the lack of a Touchscreen with S60 devices... . Most .net apps are written With PocketPC's in mind - and these are machines with a touchscreen.

Nevertheless, this sounds very interesting...I will definitely check it out at the Symbian Roadshow and keep you all posted!

Old 14-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

Sounds really interesting.

I assume this means that potentially developeres could make some deliberate changes for an S60 version making it run better on an S60 device.

So although it states "allowing to run unchanged", it does not necessarily have to be the objective...

Potentially very fast porting of some great WinMob apps on the horizon ?

Lets hope so.

Zuber
Ads

Old 14-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Tam Hanna is on a distinguished road
Sorry to bust the illusion, but no way, boys.

The UI and user interaction of an application is an integral part of each app. Adapting a touchscreen app to a non-touchscreen device is very difficult to say the least... .